Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ragtimegal

Does this look like SVB damage? (pics!)

14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I looked up TONS of threads on SVB damage and how to get rid of it, but I coudln't seem to find any posts with actual pictures of it to determine if this is actually what I have. A google images search didn't turn up much either, but it was late night searching, which can make me cross-eyed after a while. :)

The first pic is when it was a happy plant and the pics below are of the damage. Does this look like SVB damage to you? I did find a stem last week that the leaf had yellowed and then turned brown and shriveled up, and there was a hole in the stem, though it wasn't towards the base of the plant. I cut of the stem as close to the base as I could and slit open the stem, and there was no SVB larva/pupa (which stage is it?) inside.

The plant is rapidly declining. I do have BT and didn't know if I should spray the entire plant since I can't seem to find exactly where the bugger is, assuming that is the problem.

Thanks so much for your help. One note, it has been really hot, and the plant is in a black container, which you can see. I am wrapping it with shade cloth today to keep the roots from cooking.

I was so proud of my happy zucchini plant, and I can't believe how quickly things can turn!

{{gwi:69610}}

{{gwi:69611}}

{{gwi:69612}}

Comments (10)

• 14 years ago

RTG

No, it doesn't look like SVB damage to me. I think it's a watering issue, though I don't know which issue it is! Maybe more information would help.

At first I thought it might be overwatering, since that causes leaves to turn yellow. That's a possibility. You'll know how often you've been watering them, and they probably need a lot of water in the heat.

But I notice you're in zone 9, so I suspect it's that small black container that's causing the trouble if you have it sitting in the hot sunlight all day. A dark container can literally cook the roots and destroy the plant.

But I don't think yours is at that stage yet since the upper leaves still look healthy.

I'm also growing squash plants (two of them) in five-gallon white containers with a large drainage hole, containers probably larger than yours (though it's sometimes hard to tell from a photo). I'm finding that they need water three times a day in this 90-degree heat, far too often for me to remember to do regularly. If I wait too long, the plants wilt and then the leaves sunburn, turn crisp, and die. (I don't think I'll grow them or any more cucumbers in a non self-watering container again because of their water needs.) They're producing plenty of blossoms and squash but they look a little naked with so many missing leaves!

So, if that's the problem, what to do? First, I'd remove the yellowed leaves to prevent disease from vectoring there. And if it could possibly be done with very little disturbance, I'd transplant it into a much larger container that's light-colored to prevent the roots from becoming baked or root-bound and unable to take up water and nutrients. Keep them in the shade while they get used to their new home and start growing again. Don't fertilize them until they're growing again.

If that isn't possible, all you can do is shade the container so it doesn't absorb the sun's heat and keep them well-watered. But if the container is as small as it appears to be, you'll need to water them several times a day, and even then you'll have to pray that they make it.

If it's a problem with overwatering, that's easy to fix.

• 14 years ago

I missed the part of your post where you said you wrapped the container in shade cloth. I'm not sure that will keep it cool. Apparently you need a layer of air between whatever you use to shade the container and the container itself to allow for air flow. Is there any way you can arrange the shade cloth to accomplish that?

• 14 years ago

Thanks, anney. Scale is tough to tell in these pictures...that's actually a 15 gallon container! The plant is absolutely huge, which probably makes it even more difficult to tell.

I did find I was under watering the plant, as I came home to a very droopy plant earlier this week. I surrounded the black pot in sand colored 90% shade cloth today, and placed it on some wood blocks to lift it up from the hot pavement and allow some air circulation underneath.

I am VERY happy to hear that it doesn't look like SVB damage. I can correct a watering issue easier, and it won't involve spraying the plant with anything...yay!

We're going to be in the 90's all week, so I will be sure to keep a close eye on it.

Thanks!! :o)

• 14 years ago

Hmmm...I started to describe how I wrapped it, but I'll just show you instead. :)

{{gwi:69613}}

It is kind of hanging from the top lip, where I secured it with a zip tie, and I secured it at the bottom with another one, but it drapes over the container versus being tightly wrapped around it. Will that work?

• 14 years ago

RTG

You're right, perspective is sometimes hard to tell from photos! The container is plenty large. I wish I had mine in that size -- maybe I wouldn't have to water them so often!

Since I haven't used landscape fabric to shade a container, I don't know how reliable my opinion might be, but if it's wrapped loosely as it appears to, that's something I might do if I were in your shoes, too!

I don't think your squash is in trouble, though I'm sure you'll keep an eye on it for pests and disease as we all do!

I sometimes shake my head at pictures of "perfect gardens" where the plants haven't been nibbled by insects or other animals and all the leaves from top to bottom are always lush and green.

Most plants' bottom leaves sooner or later turn yellow and die because they've served their purpose and the plant is contributing its energy to new growth. You NEVER see pictures of that very common phenomenon with a caption, "This is a healthy plant." But digdirt said something in a post that alleviated some of my concern about garden plants. He said he didn't worry much about scruffy-looking older leaves if the top growth of his plants was healthy. If such a seasoned gardener has this attitude, then it seems like a good one to have!

• 14 years ago

Makes sense to me!! I'll keep an eye out for pests and any signs of disease and not worry so much about the scruffy-looking ones.

I know what you mean about the picture perfect gardens. I get suckered into thinking that my plants will look just like theirs, and then I am disappointed when they are not.

Thanks again for your help!

• 14 years ago

I am glad you posted this, some of my zucchini plants were starting to look a little like this and I was wondering about it!
    Good luck with your plant!

My Garden Blog

• 14 years ago

Hello ragtimegal,

I see you're located in CA. If I recall correctly, the SVB range is the Eastern side of North America. Therefore, you shouldn't suffer its' wrath (lucky you lol).

Regarding your plant, I offer two other possibilities.

The first is excessive salts. This is generally caused by poor water quality or (more commonly) excessive fertilization.

The second is pesticide burn. Usually caused by incorrect mixture of concentrate, applied during bright sunlight or applied too frequently.

Just a couple of other possibilities for you to consider.

Good Luck!

Rick

• 14 years ago

rdback recalls correctly about SVB. SVB isn't in CA.

• 14 years ago

Thanks, Rick! Boy am I happy to hear that the evil SVB does not frequent my neck of the woods!

Pesticide damage is a possibility, as I sprayed the plant a week or two ago. :(

I've been fertilizing at 1/3 strength, twice a month, so I think I'm ok there.I give it a good flushing regularly as well, so any excess salt build up would likely be from our water, which is pretty hard. I have a water quality report at home, so I'll check that out.

Thanks again for your help, and the good news!!

:)