Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dragonfly_wings

How waterproof, durable and structurally strong is Hypertufa?

15 years ago

Hi all.

I've been reading up a little on this material but have

never made anything with it.

I've seen that some folks have used it for making bird baths and fountains, but I was wondering if it would be a good substitute for pond liners? Is it as permanent as concrete or does it degrade over time (particularly with constant exposure to water/sun)?

Comments (10)

• 15 years ago

dragonfly, I can't imagine using hypertufa for a pond liner. I use the recipe with peat moss and the peat moss degrades over time giving you the lovely nooks and crannies. I've made bird baths and fountains with hypertufa and you work the mix to bring the "cream" to the surface. The "cream" is the finer particles of portland, sand and in this case small amounts of peat moss rise to the surface. Similar to finishing a smooth sidewalk or patio. Some people on this forum line their creations with mortar where the water will wear away the surface or something like a bird bath that you would scrub. Well, maybe you wouldn't scrub your's but I do, lol! Billie

• 15 years ago

Thanks for the info billie_ann. I can understand why the surface that's in contact with the water would have to be solid (as opposed to porous) to last. But assuming that is done, I'm just curious whether it can hold water without degradation over a relatively long period of time.

Maybe I'll just have to make some 'bowls' and test it out.

• 15 years ago

Becasue of the ingredients it is not likely to hold water "well" . Some people may skim coat the tufa, with a thin coat of portland. That may work, but why not just use concrete.
    Tufa - its purpose is to create a light weight container that can be used for plants that like well drained soil.
    mike
    Suggest you try and make some
    Mine hold water for a little while but eventually the water seeps though.

• 15 years ago

I made a few small bog gardens from hypertufa bowls and they hold water. You have to work the hypertufa mixture on the inside of the bowl to get a smooth seal. Billie

• 15 years ago

Hi again billie_ann.

What do you mean by 'work the hypertufa mixture'?

plantman, I understand it's naturally porous, but really
    like the way it looks and was just wanting to understand its characteristics better. But you're right, I just need to experiment and play with it first.

• 15 years ago

Just as I wrote in my first post "work the mix to bring the "cream" to the surface. You're bringing all the fine particles to the surface and it will seal just like a mortar mix lining. Billie

• 15 years ago

I'm also curious about strength but for different reasons.

I want to know if my hypertufa columns can bear weight. I have a very heavy piece (400 lbs) of pink marble I want to make into a garden table on faux bois or some such concrete sculpting.

Can hypertufa, reinforced with rebar, bear this weight?

Thanks!
    Clare

• 2 years ago

Here i am 13 years later to this thread. has anyone yet perfected creating a water tight small pond with this?

• 2 years ago

Same here, I want to make a small frog pond by lining old old Belfast sink with tufa.