Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keeperofthememories

Any Recommended reading for a beginner?

Hi,

I am a new gardener and I've been learning alot reading through the posts in this forum.

I would really like to learn more about amending soil for vegetable gardening and the no-till method of gardening. Can you recommend any books or websites that would be good for a beginner gardener?

Comments (21)

• 17 years ago

"Square Foot Gardening" by Mel Bartholomew, "Lasaga Gardening" by Pat Lazna are good starts.

• 17 years ago

I would say this is the best place to read. You might want to contact your local extension office to see if they have any handouts. There is also a vegetable forum, tomato forum, pepper forum, and I am sure others that would be great. Tomato plants are one of the few that can do ok even in poor soil.
    Sandy

• 17 years ago

Thanks for the recommendations! :)

• 17 years ago

There are so many good sites that offer information for those starting out, it is very hard to choose one to direct a member towards. Below is a link to a site that offers many good articles. Some of the articles are commercials for books, just ignore those and pick another.

I do trust this helps in some way, and of course there is always the most powerful "Google". Have a great day...

Blutranes

Here is a link that might be useful: Nourishing The Earth

• 17 years ago

Thanks for the link, Bluetranes, and everyone for your suggestions.

I do appreciate being lead in the right direction. There is a lot of information out there but it can get overwhelming, especially when you're not really sure where you should be headed. I've been taking out several gardening books from the library each week but I have had to sift through a lot of not-so-helpful information to find what I want to know. So, thanks again for heading me in the right direction!

• 17 years ago

Look on the Internet for "The Ploughman's Folly," by Edward Faulkner. It is an entire book on the Internet. I'd give you a link but I'm subscribed to the site and my links don't work for non-subscribed folks. You have to promise not to resell any books you read there, which is not a problem. I think the entry portal link is www.ourcivilization.com.

I'm not real big on square foot gardening. Aren't they the ones that do a lot of digging and/or use chemicals? Could be wrong on that.

• 17 years ago

Thanks, dchall san antonio. I wasn't able to get through the link but I found the book easily through the search engine.

• 17 years ago

I only have one book on composting, "Easy Composting" by a group of NY gardeners, about ten bucks. One thing I might quible about-- I like piles four or five feet in diameter and 24" high; rather than the 3x3x3' so often quoted.

A short and good book.

• 17 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion!

• 17 years ago

I think I count as a beginner when it comes to composting but my suggestion is: The Rodale Book of Composting which is available in paperback from Rodale Press.

• 17 years ago

keeperofthememories: First, I'm not an expert.

Someone gave me Mike McGrath's Book of Compost for Christmas. It's a good, sort of fun, entertaining quick read, an introduction to composting. I also recently read "Teaming with Microbes", which I think is excellent. I have to say though, that much of the content is beyond me. I'll keep it and I think it will be an excellent reference to have around. And as Sandy said, this forum is also a wonderful source of information. I learn a lot here.

Just keep in mind, people can write or print anything. You will find many opposing opinions from book to book and person to person. Try to grasp the basics and take everything with a grain of salt. Once you have the basics you will find what you like and what works for you.
    Good luck and have fun in the process.

Karen

• 17 years ago

Good book translated from Russian.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clever Kitchen-Garden

• 17 years ago

Thanks everyone! :)

• 17 years ago

Teaming with Microbes: A Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web by by Jeff Lowenfels (Author), Wayne Lewis (Author).

Pretty good one, I think.

Here is a link that might be useful: Teaming with Microbes

• 17 years ago

The FAQ section of this forum and the organic gardening forum are great reads for beginners.

• 17 years ago

I'm going to show my age by recommending you read anything by Ruth Stout you can get your hands on.

• 17 years ago

Thanks !

• 17 years ago

For "amending soil for vegetable gardening and the no-till method of gardening," my top recommendation is Ed Smith, The Vegetable Gardener's Bible (Storey, 2000, 309p, $25). I found his book (in a used book store!!) after I was already using his basic method (wide rows, organic methods, raised beds, deep soil), and I have enjoyed using it as a reference for specific vegetables. It's also nice to have it all laid out in one place, including weeds, pests, watering, composting, and letting the worms do the work. It's a useful and beautiful book, and I can't imagine why it's not more well known.

I also like the Rodale book on composting and Ruth Stout's entertaining books (and Lowenfels is on my wish list), but as far as practical info for getting started and growing vegetables, I haven't seen a better book than Smith. A good supplement would be a local/regional guide to food gardening, if one exists for your area, or at least a local "when to plant what" and "best varieties" guide (ag extension offices sometimes have this).

• 17 years ago

The Vegetable Gardener's Bible and is one I just finished reading. I totally agree with you-- I thought it was excellent! I think it is one I will refer back to again and again each year.

Thanks for the other suggestions too , I will check them out! :)

• 17 years ago

Another excellent book is Lee Reich's 'Weedless Gardening', & although it's not specifically about composting, I really like Edward Smith's new book, 'Incredible Vegetables from Self-Watering Containers'.

• 17 years ago

Thanks! :)