Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mojavelove

Julia Child/yellow blooms/black spot

12 years ago

I. Love. the Julia Child rose.

I have a pot that grew a tomato last year. I really want to grow JC in it this year but I'm afraid it will get too big and hang way out of the pot.

I was reading up on it on "help me find" and someone said that hardy large double blooming yellow roses are difficult to find for zone 5. Is this true? I would over winter in my garage, so would this issue apply to me? I love white and yellow blooms and this makes it sound like yellow + zone 5 = disease.

Comments (9)

• 12 years ago

I am growing a JC in a container that I used to grow Cherokee Purple. As long as your container is big enough, it should be fine as JC should be a fairly compact plan. You can always repot if the container turns out to be too small, but I doubt you need to do it this year.

• 12 years ago

I had Julia in a pot for a couple years and it did fine. It was about 2 X 2 feet in the pot. This will be it's first full year in the ground so I'll be interested to see if it gets bigger. It does black spot some but not very bad at all. And the silly thing blooms its head off!

• 12 years ago

Oh, I forgot to add that it winters like a champ!

• 12 years ago

Julia Child is not particularly hardy even for a yellow Floribunda. Better than some, worse than others, so about average. It is a beautiful and floriferous rose and the fragrance is also very nice.

However, the blooms fade very quickly from bright yellow to light yellow and it is rather blackspot prone in my garden.

If you want a truly hardy yellow rose that is almost disease immune and blooms just as well as Julia Child without the quick fading, then it would be hard to beat 'Golden Fairytale'. Its fragrance is not as strong as JC however and it grows much taller and upright. Almost Hybrid Tea like, but does eventually form a nice upright shrub.

• 12 years ago

Elina/Peaudouce is very robust in Illinois---I've seen huge specimens of it growing in several gardens I've visited north of I-80. It's healthy & hardy. Don't believe the HMF classification of 7b; I believe 5 is more appropriate. That being said, it may not be exactly what you're looking for. It's not the glamour gal that Julia Child is. Elina is a very subdued yellow and whenever I've seen it, I'd call it more "off-white".

I grow St Patrick instead, which I've heard can be a stretch for my zone, but it's doing fine. What do other folks think about that rose if she's going to overwinter it in a garage? If bright yellow & double form are the criteria, it fits.....but it's not as strongly scented as Elina.

• 12 years ago

White and yellow blooms are my favorite, so any shade in between are fine with me :)

Part of what I love about the JC rose is the different shades of yellow. BUT I've never actually seen one in person.

• 12 years ago

I have a recently transplanted Julia Child Tree rose, so far of all of the tree roses we got (from a new neighbor who did not want them-house was just flipped) this one has put out the most flowers. But they are pretty small. Guessing that is from the harsh treatment for the past few months.

• 12 years ago

Julia Child was my biggest disappointment last year. This is a highly touted rose that is supposed to be disease resistant. Mine developed a bad case of black spot and lost most of its leaves. As I have a no spray rose garden it will be replaced.

• 12 years ago

Julia C. is a great rose in my garden, in Central Fla. BS ground-zero......she does get a bit, and her blooms do fade a bit, but she never stops blooming and never stops looking good, I now have 3 of her right in the front-center of my biggest-bed, and am thinking I may get several more, she is so good.... sally