Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
duster12_gw

craftsman 46' with B&S 25 hp twin engine down

13 years ago

7 year old tractor. Suddenly starts backfiring and blowing blue smoke out of muffler. Changed fuel lines, filter, and spark plugs. Still have problem . . . will idle but when there is load . . . starts backfiring.

Maybe gasket? Anything else ? Will not cut grass. Help

Comments (11)

• 13 years ago

Could be, did you remove the valve covers and see if all was well there? Push rods in place?

Walt Conner

• 13 years ago

walt connor
    This is my first attempt at working on an engine. I saw a prior post of yours that pointed person listing to Briggs
    twin cylinder shop manual via K&T and I downloaded that. It is a bit complicated to say the least. Section 5 is
    on valve/cylinder properties . . . so I know where the covers are . . . . and once I take them off, what do I look for relative to push rods, etc.
    From your post, I assume that my problem is most likely going to be in the valve/piston/gasket area?

• 13 years ago

The new spark plugs that were installed got fouled very quickly. Would a blown cylinder gasket do this
    Could this somehow route oil into the carb?

• 13 years ago

A blown head gasket could cause these type symptoms.

FIRST though, smell the oil for the presence of gasoline. IF the oil is extremely diluted by gasoline, it'll smoke profusely while causing damage. (It might really be a carburetor problem)

• 13 years ago

" It is a bit complicated to say the least. Section 5 is
    on valve/cylinder properties . . . so I know where the covers are . . . . and once I take them off, what do I look for relative to push rods, etc.
    From your post, I assume that my problem is most likely going to be in the valve/piston/gasket area?"

Are you sure you want to tackle this yourself? It is very likely that a blown head gasket is the problem but you need to remove the valve cover to do that job anyway so there is a possibility that a push rod is bent, something out of place there.

To do this job right, you need to have or have access to a torque wrench, preferably an inch lbs torque wrench.

Walt Conner

• 13 years ago

Walt . . . I have a torque wrench. Bought it way back when . . .I thought I would get into mechanical things a bit more. Once the valve covers come off, is the cylinder head easy to access. I am hoping that I don't have to dismantle much of the engine . . . Realize I will need new gaskets for both cylinders. I think the torque spec is in the manual I downloaded.
    No one to help . . . so learning curve will be steep.

• 13 years ago

"Once the valve covers come off, is the cylinder head easy to access. "

You should easily see the head bolts, both under and outside the valve cover. you will need to remove the Intake Manifold and Exhaust.

Walt Conner

• 13 years ago

I will have to order new cylinder gaskets? Do I need to also order valve cover gaskets? Does the intake manifold also take a gasket? Is the exhaust gasket reusable? Should I also clean out the breather. Could that be causing this problem?
    Thank you for your help

• 13 years ago

I took off the valve cover on cylinder 2 and there are problems. The steel push rod was lying loose (separated) and the aluminum push rod is bent. what next?

• 13 years ago

The most likely causes would be an issue with a rocker- possibly loose mount or tappet adjuster or the dreaded loose valve guide. If you look inside the valve springs, compare the inner guides to see if they project from the head the same amount or if one has come out further.

• 13 years ago

re: my letter to Felix:
    What did i just say? Some of you took me to task about my advice to Felix!
    Well, here we go again----