Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pagepanther

Hard working details for a laundry/mudroom addition

9 years ago
Adding a mudroom & laundry space to the back of my house. Basics are thought out (dimensions, how it flows into the existing house, etc.), but what about details that make these spaces work better? Who's been through it and has ideas?

Comments (6)

• PRO
    9 years ago
    The details would come from your lifestyle and design preferences.
  • 9 years ago
    Well, Dytecture, that's rather obvious and not real helpful. **I'm looking for tips from people who have been through a new or remodel.** If you've added such a space to your home, what would you do differently, or what works especially well? Such as: Large sink or small? If you built in a fold down ironing board, or fold out drying racks, do you like them and use them? Lots of counter space? - or does it end up collecting a lot of clutter? Do you end up skipping the counter because you carry the basket to the family room so you can watch the kids or tv while folding? Sorting bins, yes or no? Best placement for lighting. Pet feeding area, yes or no? Open lockers are a popular trend. Do you have those and do you like them or do you wish you'd opted for enclosed storage? What do you like or not about how the laundry products are stored?
  • 9 years ago
    Hooks for hanging up coats and shelf with baskets for mittens and hats. My family doesn't understand the concept of opening up a door to hang something up:) My mudroom laundry is slightly visible from main hall in foyer so I need to keep it tidy. Pretty cabinets for my art and sewing supplies, and iron, cleaning supplies, rags. This is also where I keep extra paper towels, tissue and TP. Pretty curtained counter for hiding shelves of laundry to do. Counter for dropping off groceries till I get them all out of the car and can take my shoes off. Good space for wet, muddy boots. Space for vacuum, mop, Swiffer. Definitely the hanging rack - so many things don't go in the dryer these days.

I do not have front loader machine - I did for a while and didn't care for it and so now I have a top loader. With a front loader you can put a counter over washer and dryer, but be sure you can easily get to the back of the dryer to clean out the vent now and then.
    pagepanther thanked jhmarie
  • 9 years ago
    I want to keep my top load washer. Hard to find photos online of laundry rooms with top loaders. They all assume we all want and have front loading. A lot of people I know that have front load machines do not like them.
  • 9 years ago
    When I built my house a few months back I found out the hard way that the 42" cabinets I'd ordered would not allow the washer lid to open all the way. Measure carefully if you're going to have cabinets above the washer! I had two options...prop the washer lid open with something or have shorter cabinets installed. I went with the shorter cabinets because I don't like front loaders either.

Cabinets are so great for extra storage! If you can't afford cabinets, use lots of shelves and storage baskets. :).

That being said, maybe on the utility sink choose a faucet with a hose/sprayer. Very handy, esp if you have pets or even want to wash a larger item that won't fit in the kitchen sink. Or, wash your hair.

A rack for drying garments and/or hanging things out of the dryer.

A lower shelf for folding clothes.

A place to sit your laundry basket other than the floor.

If you have enough room, it's real handy to have even a small area for a sewing machine and/or an iron. I added an electrical outlet on the opposite was for that purpose.

If I'd thought of it, I would have had the builder make the room large enough for my freezer. :(.
    pagepanther thanked crowley48