Shop Products
kosh_gw

How do I grow moss between pavers?

We moved into a house with pavers in a circular driveway and throughout the back yard. They are about 30 years old with plenty of growing space in between. Last summer weeds were everywhere and I was pulling EVERY week! (I didn't want to use a Round-Up type product). Some areas have moss. It's beautiful and solves the weed problem. I AM A GARDENING NOVICE!!

Q: How do you grow moss between pavers? Where do I get the moss? Is it realistic? HELP!

• 17 years ago

To buy moss if you are east of the Rockies you can use the link below.
    They have several species available.
    I would ask them about your situation before ordering any
    just to be sure that your spots are suitable for their species.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tripplebrook Farms

• 17 years ago

You could also try www.mossacres.com. I can't vouch for them, but they do specialize in the stuff, and I'm thinking about ordering some moss from them.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Moss Acres'

• 17 years ago

I purchased cushion moss from Moss Acres 3 years ago. It arrived in splendid condition with a very detailed instruction sheet for care & planting. They were also very helpful on the phone. The moss I purchsed from them has thrived in my conditions.

Tricia

• 13 years ago

I already have a lot of moss and are thinking of letting the moss take over the grass areas. So, I don't have to mow and water or fertilize
    How do I get the moss to sprad evenly throughout the grass areas.
    And, are there any disadvanges of having moss everwhere?

Thanks,
    John

• 13 years ago

You can spray your moss with Round-up, or any ROOT killer, because moss does not have roots! The plants around, that do have roots, will be killed, but not the moss! I have been trying to get my moss to take over, but my soil just dosen't stay wet enough, and I can't afford to water enough. I envy those of you who can have a moss yard instead of mowing! I'm trying. Good luck! (And send me some moss when you get too much, or don't want anymore, I treasure every bit of it!)

• 12 years ago

Mosswitch, Thank you SOOO much for the much needed information. I will put it all to use. Even the garden center trick salved my conscience because once I bought a plant that already had moss all around its base and even added a little that I found on the ground under the tables! I have felt quite guilty about that extra added value, but not now that I've read that the garden centers likely prefer to get rid of it. Your post was very, very helpful!

• 12 years ago

What is the best season to attempt the buttermilk mixture?

• 12 years ago

My moss is the size of softballs and located between flagstone pavers.They are flowering,but some are turning completely brown. Is it because of too much water,or the lack thereof.Is it nessary to fertlize? And if so what is best to use,and how often

EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars71 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz