Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ninecrow_uk

Anybody Grow....

15 years ago

Passifora for Fruit for Eating?

Looking for Ideas on what Puddings I can make out of the fruit....

I grow around a windowsill in my Flat as I'm in England and have a MEGA Case of Zone Envey.... *Sigh*

Thanks for all and any Help you Guys can give

Comments (9)

• 15 years ago

I grew up eating passion-fruit in Australia. We would cut one in half and eat it straight out of the skin with a teaspoon, with a little sugar if tart. Also drizzled on top of vanilla icecream and we used it in icing(frosting) for cakes. You might get more recipes from the Australian forum as passion fruit is very popular there and not seen so much in Florida.

• 15 years ago

In Colombia (called "maracuya"), the yellow one is very common and it is used to make fresh juices (with water or milk and sugar).

Here in Fl, last year I had both, a Yellow and Purple (not sure the names), the yellow never produced while the purple did... they were both killed by the freezes, I am waiting to see if they recover...

I am also trying a Sweet Granadilla (another passiflora) but my plants are only 5 inches tall and growing quick... This one is to eat fresh.

Hope it helps

• 15 years ago

I have a few seedlings of Sweet Granadilla (Passiflora ligularis)- fruit to be eaten fresh.
    Taxo (banana passion fruit) very sour, used in flavor for ice cream or juices mix with sugar.
    Tamarillo (red variety also know as a tree tomato) no relation to tomato - eat fresh, cooked, desserts, salads. Easy to grow.

And I am going to start maracuya (Passiflora edulis), to be used in drinks.

Le us know what you have or planning to grow and maybe we can give you some recipes. :o)

• 15 years ago

I forgot to mention that I just ordered naranjilla (lulo) seeds.. I had it once but never fruit and died to bugs... I think... very nice plant.

whgille,

Would you mind posting pictures of your seedling for granadilla, banana passion fruit (curuba) and tamarillo? I tried them and I think I might have mixed the seeds so I am not sure which one is what.. I am guessing .. but...

Thanks in advance

• 15 years ago

fagopher
    Naranjilla hates heat and humidity, try to keep it in the shade and in the coolest spot in the yard. You can also try to grow it indoors when is hot and bring it out when is cooler. Studies were made some time ago where they found out naranjillas had more food value than an egg. It grows like weed in its natural habitat.

I will try posting the pictures later on. All the above seeds of passion fruits look alike. I thought the same thing that you did, that I mix the seeds somehow.

Tamarillo, is easy, it looks like the seed of a tomato, grows quicker, taller and faster. Of course is better to grow it from a cutting, but we don't have access to that.

As of the leaves of Granadilla they are different than the banana. Banana p.f leaves are serrated. The Maracuya seeds look similar but I have not start them yet. The fruits make a good drink mix with rum.

Feel free to send me an email if you have any question.

• 15 years ago

fagopher,

Left is Tamarillo, Right is Banana Passion Fruit, Center (small cup) is Granadilla.

If you need any seeds send me an email.

• 15 years ago

Thanks for all the Replies Guy's....
    I'm Growing P. foetida as I need something that's self fertile.... Any other sergestions are welcome
    NC

• 15 years ago

NC

You can try this pudding. You can also try to grow Tamarillo indoors, if you cannot find seeds locally, contact me.
    It is very easy to grow and I have seen it fruiting indoors. They also grow it in Australia.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passion Fruit Pudding

• 15 years ago

Thanks whgille for the pictures.. .now.. What I though was the granadilla turned out to be tamarillo :).. they survived the freezes here where almost everything else died... very hard plants..

Looks like now I need to try once more is then the granadilla.

Best Regards