Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deeinflorida_gw

How to get started with this forum?

16 years ago

I have always just been a lurker but want to get involved in the discussions, etc. I read in many posts that apparently various posters trade plants with other posters.

Two questions: how can I get involved with that?

How do you send cuttings/plants through the mail so that they arrive alive?

Thanks for any help. I love plants and digging in the dirt!

Dee

Comments (14)

• 16 years ago

Consider yourself now officially "started" with this forum! And welcome out of the shadows and into the light. We are happy to meet you, Dee!

There's really no trick in getting involved in a plant swap. The next time someone is having one in your area, just let them know you'd like to come, and start thinking about what you might have to trade. Or even if you don't have any plants to trade, you can come meet everyone, and you will probably go home with some new plants, anyway. There are always plants left over still looking for a home. Plus, you can bring food or drinks to share, if you don't have plants, etc.

I can't help you with mailing plants. I've never done it. Always been sure they would arrive dead, so I'm chicken to try it. But I'm sure there are folks here who can guide you through the best way to do it.

Again, welcome aboard, and don't be shy about jumping into conversations or asking questions. Looking forward to getting to know you!
    Marcia

• 16 years ago

Dee: I haven't shipped cuttings or plants either but the site below is very helpful in providing details (and includes pictures!) - June

Here is a link that might be useful: Shipping Live Plants

• 16 years ago

Dee ~ Welcome to this great forum. You will enjoy the posts and chatting with everyone. Do post about your gardens along with pictures if possible as we love seeing pictures. : -)

June ~ That was a fantastic site about shipping live plants.

FlowerLady

• 16 years ago

Welcome onboard Dee, this is a wonderful site and very helpful and generous people.

Happy Gardening Day!

Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Kim's Albums

• 16 years ago

Hey Feix,

Meet Dee and be sure to supply her with some of your GRT's.

• 16 years ago

Welcome, Dee! Glad you joined in!

Near the top of the page that lists the discussion topics you will see links to "Exchanges" and "Conversations". Those are two other pages in the Florida Forum. The one you are on now is "Discussions". If you have plants you want to trade or plants you want to acquire, check the "Excahnges" page. You'll have an opportunity there to tell people what you are looking for and what you have to trade.

Kate

• 16 years ago

Dee: You might want to consider adding more info in the "zone" area of your address. Zone 9 covers a large swath. A plant might thrive in one extreme of 9 but not in the opposite. Someone who lives closer to your area could share especially good advice. Maybe you could add the city you're near?

If you do want to edit your info then click on your underlined GardenWeb name that shows up after "Posted by" in your message. Your Member Page will appear.

At the bottom of the Member Page is a mustard colored bar. Within that bar are various options. Click on "Member Pages".

A GardenWeb Members Page will open. Click on "Edit your Personal Information..."

One of the lines you can edit would be "Zone"; this is where you would add more info about your location.

June

• 16 years ago

Thank you all for your kind words, suggestions and help. I Juneroses: I have updated my member page. Thank you, I wouldn't have known to do that.
    I look forward to participating in this wonderful forum!
    Tony, what are GRT's from Felix?

• 16 years ago

Dee - You might have missed that Felix (countrynest) likes to chide Tony (tony-k-orlando) because of Tony's great dislike for the nuisance golden rain tree (GRT). You will see some of that on this GardenWeb (GW) thread:

Here is a link that might be useful: Bad GRT's

• 16 years ago

Dee - We're practically backyard neighbors! I'm in Lady Lake, not too far from 441/27 and about 20 miles south of the heart of Ocala. As you can see, I took my own advice and modified my zone info to make it more specific too. - June

• 16 years ago

Hello Dee!
    Welcome to the Friendly Florida Forum but if you've been lurking, you already know that.

I do trade plants from time to time and I ship them by Priority Mail. The link to Sipping Live Plants above is excellent information.
    Barb

• 16 years ago

Welcome Dee!

So good to see a neighbor from Ocala. I'm in Summerfield or better yet,in good old Pedro.
    Make yourself at home,take your shoes off and let's play in the dirt. We love pictures so may I invite you to share with us. This is a place to learn, be inspire,be motivated,celebrate life,support and find good friends.
    Welcome aboard.If you are looking to plant a Golden Rain tree aka GRT,let me know and I'll get you one.

Felix

• 16 years ago

Just jump right in with both feet! Welcome, Dee!

• 16 years ago

ya know, i believe a lady from florida actually sent me some plants once that was in a walmart type bag, then it was full of shredded papper. ya know, in the middle of summer those were the absolute healthyiest plants i ever recieved!! just thought i would add that. as i was looking into see how the warmer weathered folk was!! LOL its finally warming up here, and pretty soon i'll be complaining about the humidity and heat, LOL :')