Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

More Late Bloomers

16 years ago

Here are a few more late bloomers for Independence Day.

ANTIQUE NOUVEAU

TECHNY PEACE

TAHLEQUAH FLAME

APOLLODORUS

NORTH WIND DANCER

KACHINA DANCER

MISTER BUBBLES at the end of the day

Debra in Nashville, TN

Comments (25)

• 16 years ago

Ahhh!! Debra, those are so purdy!! Kachina Dancer and TAHLEQUAH FLAME is my picks of the day. My real favorite of course is ND. Is yours just beginning?. My ND is about midways through the bloom cycle. I still have lots of buds. She is a honey and your pics are great...Ellie

• 16 years ago

Put me in the Kachina Dancer camp. Wow! Wonderful pics.
    Kathy

• 16 years ago

Debra, I love ND! I bought several seeds from crosses with it on LA, and can't wait for bloom. I will get around to getting ND itself one day. Beautiful pics! Thanks!

Betsy

• 16 years ago

wow,I love that Mr Bubbles.Gorgeous.

Jean

• 16 years ago

Ellie and Betsy - North Wind Dancer is a beauty, and the photo I posted does not do it justice. It just started blooming here this week. So far the blooms have not been as curly as last year, and they are smaller because of the drought. But the ones today look are curling more than the previous ones.

Kathy - Kachina Dancer always has good form, and the blooms always do look like they're dancing.

Jean - Mister Bubbles keeps getting better with each bloom. It's a nice one to have in the late season.

Debra

• 16 years ago

Debra,

Funny thing, they're all beautiful. And yet, in spite of the fancy forms and edgings and ruffles, I still lean toward Techny Peace and Apollodorus. I guess I'm just an old-fashioned kinda gal.

Elizabeth

• 16 years ago

Mr. Bubbles is very pretty, haven't seen that one yet, a good name for it too! -Jessica

• 16 years ago

You have so many gorgeous late bloomers! Thanks for sharing your photos. Antique Nouveau, Mister Bubbles and Techny Peace are my favorites.

Juliet

• 16 years ago

Just wonderful....especially NWD....gotta put that one on the 'must have' list right away!!
    Thanks for sharing your gorgeous dl photos.
    Jan

• 16 years ago

Thanks Juliet,
    I've been concentrating on adding more ML and late bloomers over the past two years. Now that most of the others are finished, I still have four later bloomers that haven't even started opening yet. And I have more daylilies with rebloom scapes coming than ever before. It will be so nice to have daylilies all through July and into August this year.

Debra

• 16 years ago

Debra, my ND has been blooming about a week and a half. I have tried to get seed to set on her but she is being stuborn...Here is my pic...Ellie

{{gwi:906852}}

• 16 years ago

Anymore late bloomers pictures?

• 16 years ago

Rita, ,most of Brother Charles Reckamp's cvs are late bloomers, as well as many of those of Roy Klehm.

Here's Techny Breeze.

And blooming even later, Techny Peach Lace.

Sahara Sands is a lovely ivory.

And for a real impact, Flameburst is a deep velvety red listed as very late (mine started about a week ago in zone 6.) Somehow my photo angle made it look really short - it's not. It's listed as 26" tall.

Last fall I put in several Olallie cvs, since they are known for their lates. So far two have bloomed and I'm not particularly impressed - small blossoms, not much substance, older forms. But I'll give 'em another year.

• 16 years ago

I like reds. But with the two yellows, sorry to say the two Technys look exactly alike to me.

I did receive a free gift daylily from Song Sparrow this spring, I will have to go out when the rain stops to check the tag so I can see if its a late one. Still, I was not overly taken by the daylilies on the song sparrow site. I know many here love them but to me they all blurred together in a mass of pastel peachey colors.

• 16 years ago

I was over at the website of Olallie Daylily Gardens
    and they sure do have lots of lates and very lates. At first glance however, I was not taken by anything I saw though.

• 16 years ago

Rita,

I wasn't taken by the Techny's until I saw one in person. If you haven't seen a really vibrant glowing polychrome it's hard to imagine. Cameras just can't catch that glow.

Maybe you can see one at a local DL garden? Be open to it - they are worth it!

I really can't recommend the Olallie cvs based on what I put in last year.

• 16 years ago

Two blooming late for me. Ooops I forgot to resize these smaller.

Dot

Moonlight Sail

{{gwi:647930}}

Last Snowflake is HUGE

• 16 years ago

Elizabeth,
    Thanks for posting your photo of FLAMEBURST! I may have to add that one to my hot colors bed. And I agree about the Reckamp glow. It's that glow - and the edges - the keep me adding those look-alikes.

Debra

• 16 years ago

So what is this glow you two are referring to about the Rechamp Daylilies? Is this like diamond dusting? I have so much to learn. Thanks!

• 16 years ago

Rita,

No, the "glow" isn't diamond dusting, although a polychrome may be diamond dusted. It's almost like there's a light shining up from the throat illuminating the blossom outward. Anybody have any better description?

Debra,

Glad you like Flameburst. Here's today's photo:

• 16 years ago

So are all the Reckamp daylilies like that? Glowing? I have one from Song Sparrow but its hybridized by Roy khelm. Its putting out a bloom stalk but not ready to bloom. It came as a bonus for my lilac shrubs I bought from Song Sparrow this spring.

The only ones with Techny in the name I could see in the catalog were Techny Spider.

• 16 years ago

Well, I can't claim to be an expert on Reckamps, but I think most are that way. I do have an older one named Butter Curls that is simply butter yellow. Not all of Klehm's are polychromes, by any means, but he did work with Brother Charles and has used many of his cvs in hybridizing.

• 16 years ago

My freebie from Song Sparrow is in bloom today (Cinnamon Pleasure). Unfortunatly we had such terrible rain overnight and early this morning that all the daylilies that opened today were beaten so badly that the petals are just about disentigrated. So I can't tell anything about if it might glow or not. The flower shape is pretty ordinary. Anyway, it has more bloom buds on the scape so hopefully I will get a better look next time.

• 16 years ago

Its going to have another bloom tomorrow so we will see.

• 16 years ago

Its blooming. If the light hits it just right there are some tiny sparklies in there. Not sure if that is diamond dusting. Doesn't seem to have any ususual glow to me.