Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryl_gw

I forget. Do I throw them away?

I seem to remember some time ago there was something about daylilies sprouting inside the leaves. I can't remember what its called, nor do I remember what you are supposed to do with the sprouts. I've got a nice daylily (Madge Cayse) that seems to be sprouting at least two of these weird things. Since they don't have any roots, do I just pull them off and pitch them? Why do they do this?

Comments (8)

• 16 years ago

look up proliferations.. your choice really

• 16 years ago

I looked up about proliferations and I have never seen any of my daylilies do this.

• 16 years ago

If you let them grow on the scape you will have another plant true to the parent. Proliferation

• 16 years ago

Sometimes they do it, sometimes they don't. It is another way for them to increase. If you want to grow it,try to keep the scape green for a long time by pollinating a bloom and getting a pod growing.If the scape doesn't pod,you have to cut the proliferations off 1" above and below before the brown reaches it. Then root in water or damp medium using Rootone. It is a free plant if you want to mess with it.

Betsy

• 16 years ago

Thank you everyone. This is a pretty daylily , and in my small world, not exactly box store priced, so I think I'm going to try and grow it on. It's not a real small prolif even now and the scape still has buds on it, so I will relax and let nature take its course for awhile. Have any of you ever done this before? I was wondering what the success rate is.

• 16 years ago

I have done it once.I potted it up in a pot that I think was too small and kept it inside over the winter.It was still small this spring so I stuck it in the seedling bed.One thing for sure...it's not blooming.

Betsy

• 16 years ago

I can't offer a percentage, but I had a number of prolifs last year and quite a few have grown into full size fans so far this year. I did as others have said - - leave them on the plant as long as I could, then cut the scape an inch or so above and below, powdered on some rooting hormone, and put them in a good potting mix. Lost a few, but probably less than a third. Some say if no roots have formed, that is when they should first be put in water. Then when ther roots form, do as above. One thing I will add, when you plant them, place them where they get more shade than sun and keep them moist until the forming develop enough to sustain the plant.
    Larry

• 16 years ago

Thanks Betsy and Larry. Every bit of information helps. I don't have any in ground space for more daylilies, so I grow them in pots now. I realize it's not ideal, but it's better then nothing. I think Madge C. is rather special or I might not even contemplate trying this. Plus it will be a learning experience.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County