Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

A Couple of Pics From Today

12 years ago

The Hot Lips Salvia has really loved the change in the weather: (The rose is Wild Blue Yonder)

Midici Palace - Not opening fully yet with these cool mornings:

Compassion Rose:

And Mary's Baby put up a scape today

kay

Comments (12)

• 12 years ago

Sooo pretty Kay. Its amazing how many lilies you have with late scapes. I have been out planting my Maryott lilies and am really struggling to find spots. lol!! I think I am at the end of ordering anymore of anything. I don't really want to start any new beds so trying to jam pack what beds I do have and hope they do ok. I know they need a little more room than I am giving them but I may just try to weed out the ones i'm not that fond of and put the ones I love in their place. My problem is though if it blooms I usually love it. hahaha!! Judy

• 12 years ago

Lol. I'm with Judy. As long as I'm not looking at it, I can convince myself it's not absolutely necessary, but if I see it, I'm all, " ooh, I forgot how nice this was ;)"
    Love that salvia- it sure is happy!
    And I love the rose- :)

• 12 years ago

I like the way you photographed the Compassion Rose with the brown mulch and what looks like hazelnuts(?).

Salvia looks very good but never saw it in that color here. Need to go look that one up.

A good opening on a daylily with cool temps is hard to find.

Julia

• 12 years ago

Nice photos, Kay. Love salvias, does Hot Lips come back for you, or is it an annual in your zone? Compassion is a beautiful rose, and I like the look of Wild Blue Yonder. Having any daylily bloom this late is a plus!! Avedon

• 12 years ago

Good evening! Judy, I have never had scapes like this before, and I did some shovelpruning to make room too.

CTC, uh-huh. It's an addiction is what it is.

Thank you Julia...I wish they were hazelnuts. They are acorns that will diligently try to become oak trees...they have to grow legs to be in as much of my yard as they are.

We are going to have to have the trees cut down if we can find someone brave enough to do it. They are so huge, butthat they threaten out house in the storms we have here. (We had one tree down after one of the Florida hurricanes, and it landed on the car which was bad, but it would destroy the house. I will plant some dogwood trees in the back for eventual shade, but the azaleas will nedd shade cloth for a while in these summers.

{{gwi:688868}}

You can see the problem in these pictures.
    kay

• 12 years ago

Kay, I love the salvia. I don't have anything in bloom right now but I do have some scapes. Whether they will be able to bloom is another story! Ellie

• 12 years ago

Wow Kay thats some biiiiig trees. I have tons of trees too but the hubby is partial to them so they have to stay. bummer!! I do like trees but we all know we gotta have that sun if we want blooms now don't we!! He has been a sweetie and let me have some cut down but I promised I wouldn't ask for anymore to come down so I gotta make what I have work. grrr..... Judy

• 12 years ago

wow kay.you do have some big trees.and oak trees up root pretty easy in a bad hurricane.i dont have no oak trees in my yard Just a giant pine tree less then 6 feet from my house, snd s msgnolia treeand I hate both of them.Love your salvia,and the wild blue younder rose.

Jean

• 12 years ago

That photo with the roses and the acorns sure looks familiar....I have acorns dropping everywhere in my gardens too and it's so darn annoying to have to yank out little oak tree seedlings all the next summer. I feel your annoyance with the oak trees! I've got some huge whopper oaks, too and they are all draped over my gardens and in the winter with the snowstorms lots of branches come down on my roses and break them.
    It is way too pricey to have someone take them down, so
    I grit my teeth and keep collecting branches & acorns.
    I feel like a squirrel gathering nuts for the winter right now....LOL

The salvia is really pretty and lush. It's so nice to have something blooming away right now. Your daylily is trying so hard to open. Brave little guy!

Celeste

• 12 years ago

Hi, Kay ~ Your "Hot Lips" looks great. I have one, too, and it's been all three color combinations throughout the season. Also have about six other salvias, all at the height of their bloom and beauty. I grow them for the hummingbirds, and they get a lot of use. Still have 2 or 3 humms around, which is really late for me.

Medici Palace is a lovely, rich color. And this is another great time of the year for roses, isn't it? I also have oaks on the edges of the property, and the squirrels and chipmunks are having a wonderful time "distributing" them all over the place.

From another retiree... enjoying life in general, and her gardens in particular!!!

• 12 years ago

Good grief those trees are massive. I didn't realize that the trees were that large. They make your house look really tiny next to them.

I love the Hot Lips Salvia. It is a pretty one. I never found one this spring and of course the one I had last year died over the winter.

• 12 years ago

Hi everyone. Thank you for looking and commenting. I love the trees, but they would destroy our house if they were uprooted in a storm...and you know how these storms are here. The house is a decent size, 2000 sq ft, but the trees really dwarf it and the one nearest to the house hangs all over the roof. We just have to find someone who has the courage to tackle these big trees.

The Hot Lips salvia is three years old, and the Navajo salvia on the right is about 10 years old. Behind the Hot Lips is a huge clump of Black and Blue Salvia, and I have a couple of others in the butterfly garden. They are all blooming right now.

Ellie, weather is always a question in regard to blooms, isn't it?

Judy, Leave a few pictures of big trees that have fallen on houses around...that might encourage the removal.

Jean, I love the look of Magnolias, but they are messy.

Celeste, the daylily blooms actually opened today, and the salvia, Lantana. and zinnias are blooming away, but the roses are what I am enjoying. They are happy because it is cooler.
    Linda, I am enjoying the retirement. We do have a row of mainly big oaks on the back of the property that we intend to leave.

Rita, I had thought you had gotten Hot Lips, but I guess that was last year. Once something gets started here, you have to work to kill it, and that isn't always a good thing as you can imagine.

kay