Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostafreak

Thunderstorm...

11 years ago

Last night,we had a terrific thunderstorm here,but all it did was drop an inch of rain,with no damage to my garden. The hostas should really jump up now with nice sunny skies today,and a nice weekend coming up. Phil

Comments (5)

• 11 years ago

We've had as much rain this week as we usually get in the entire month of April (about 5 inches), so now if the sun would just show up......
    Jan

• 11 years ago

Phil, I got to shovel our storms the past two mornings - but it should be good for the gardens as we were almost snow free and starting to thaw. I think we will probably be a couple of weeks behind last year, I'm guessing we'll be leafing out in the gardens beginning in early May. But that's okay, it was way too early last year. Keep the pics coming, we will return the favor later. Pots on the porch are awake and should be leafing out in the next 2 weeks - last year I already had the pots outside by now.

Paul

Last year April 9th

• 11 years ago

We had more than three inches rain from the afternoon into the night. Thunderstorms, and such. It was late morning before most of the boards on the privacy fence dried off, which is a sign of a real soaking. Usually, they dry in about an hour. It was also chilly having dropped into the high 40s last night. (That's above zero, yes.) However, breakfast on the deck was a real joy in the mild sunshine.

DH was out with his tomatos and peppers and a ruler, which shows his engineering background. I tell you, the man is unbelievable. Up north, he planted marigolds exactly SIX INCHES apart using a taut line--and they better not DARE to grow out of line! When my nasturtiums (poked in the ground with a finger tip, in a random crooked pattern, I mean why NOT).....grew with "reckless abandon", he took the mower and trimmed them back within his definition of a PROPER FLOWER BORDER. Sheesh! HE likes trimmed hedges, I like loose layered unstructured. It is an indicator of the basic differences between us, and we laugh about it quite frequently.
    But this year, he'll be here to tend his veggie garden and it will look perfect all year I am POSITIVE.

As a person who gets immersed in a project and forgets to eat, it is good to have a partner who observes a routine and a proper schedule for meals. He came in for lunch.....I told him he was a PITA.....he said, "Yeah, but I'm YOUR PITA." Time for lunch I guess.

Life is good. :)

• 11 years ago

We have been getting some normal rains and thunderstorms.. its been so long on the thunderstorms they almost seemed odd.

• 11 years ago

Sorry to hear you still shoveling out your storms,Paul. Hostas are growing so fast here,even my Tokudama FC is already showing eyes,and it is usually one of the last to show. Bright Lights is still the winner,being always the last to show, The hostas are growing fast,despite a cold spring,and some got a little freeze damage because they came up early. I swear,just last week,most of them were just pips,just above the ground,and now I looked at Olive Bailey Langdon,and she is 8 inches up! More pics next week. Phil