Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buff24

How they grow, in just a few short years... (lots of pics)

17 years ago

Just wanted to show you the progress/growth of one of my favorite hosta beds, and several of my favorite hostas. Hope you enjoy the show!!

Buff

Front porch area, 2005

Front porch area, May 2006

Front porch area, May 2007

Spring Fling, Oct 2005

Spring Fling, May 2006

Spring Fling, August 2006

Spring Fling, May 2007

Rascal, 2005

Rascal, May 2006

Rascal, May 2007

Comments (15)

• 17 years ago

It's wonderful to see things mature! Thanks for the time-lapse tour.

Hey, I think, maybe, from looking at your 'Spring Fling,' that perhaps that's what my Hosta Mystery #3 is... what do you say?

• 17 years ago

Beautiful,Buff!! You can definitely see why looking at an immature hosta doesn't tell the story of how well it will be later! Planting hostas is always a joy,but when you see them only one year later,is when you start to appreciate them. Phil

• 17 years ago

Thanks Buff--how encouraging! Things are looking wonderful!!!

BTW- How did the wedding go? Oops, answer that on the "Other Side"! :o)

janice

• 17 years ago

Beautiful photos!

Is that your Spring Fling in the 3rd photo, at about 3 o'clock? It looks great in that setting.

Thanks for posting.

Alexa

• 17 years ago

very nice, Buff!

Is that a little fairy/dwarf garden in the top right of some of the photos?

• 17 years ago

to me, the most amazing thing about your photos is that you've left your plants in the same place for three years running! that's sure a habit i need to cultivate. my "summer music" is already in it's third location this month alone.....

• 17 years ago

Alexa and janetpetiole... you both have a very sharp eye!

For Alexa, yes, that is Spring Fling in the 3rd picture, 3 o'clock position. It is the only one with a ruffled edge in that area, and it really stands out...

And for janetpetiole, yes, I have a little dwarf garden in the top right of some of the photos (it is a trough I made at hosta college last year.) Actually, you can see in the 2006 picture, the dwarf cedar is nice and green, but in the 2007 pictures, you can see it is reddish/brown because it died over the winter... I am planning to take it out sometime soon. There is a tiny dwarf hosta in there too... Masquerade... and the gnome which resided there last year is still inside and hasn't made his way out there yet!

Phil... you are correct about not being able to appreciate the true beauty of a hosta until it matures for a few years. Spring Fling was not much to look at in 2005, but now in 2007 it is one of my favorites. It's finally starting to look like those hosta library pictures...

And Janice... I'm not afraid to answer your question over here :-) The wedding was wonderful, everything went as planned, and my bridesmaid dress fit fine (after some minor adjustments!)

Buff

• 17 years ago

Hi Buff
    Beautiful hostas!! Where did you get your plant labels...I need to retag all of mine this year...ugh! So I will need to get about 200 of them and I am afraid that is going to break the bank...or at least leave less for buying plants. But it has to be done
    Vicki

• 17 years ago

Thanks Vicki! I got my metal labels from Eon Industries, and then used an electronic label maker to print out the names. The labels you can see above were done on white label tape (which eventually fades in sun as I didn't use UV-resistant tape,) but all labels I am now making are done on clear tape, and it looks MUCH nicer. In fact, I just ordered my second batch of labels from Eon about a week ago (my first batch of 100 lasted 2 years...) I buy about 100 at a time... also use them on my small-ish daylily collection. See the link below to Eon's website. I buy the nursery markers, E-series, in various lengths (E-20, E-15, E-10 refers to the stake length, all plates are the same size.) This time I also bought some of the mini E nursery labels to use on my dwarf hostas in troughs, etc., and I bought some replacement plates too. By the way, I am not affiliated with this company, just a very satisfied customer.

Buff

Here is a link that might be useful: Eon Industries

• 17 years ago

Wonderful hostas! Do they get a fair ammount of sun? I need to be braver and plant in more sun to bring out the golds and yellow colors of some of mine.

Connie

• 17 years ago

I just got Spring Fling this year a small one eye TC plant, the leaves are very swollen and twisted was yours like this at this stage the grower asures me it is normal and it will grow out of it, hope it will be like yours next year

• 17 years ago

Hi there, bobinfrance... First of all, great choice getting Spring Fling. It really is one of my favorites. I don't recall my SF having swollen or twisted leaves, but I agree with the grower that it will grow out of this phase. Just give it some time and I suspect it will start to look much better! Just look at my pics above for some inspiration... the plant in 2005 wasn't much to look at, now I think it's a stunner!

Good Luck,
    Buff

By the way, are you able to post pictures? It might help us if we could see what you're talking about...

• 17 years ago

Buff,
    What are you feeding those hosta. Mine never look like that in three years.....Nice shots, plants looking very good!

• 17 years ago

Just beautiful! Love the transformation!

• 17 years ago

May 05

June 06

May 07