sidhartha0209

Aji Crystal

sidhartha0209

This sounds like a great chile for fresh consumption. Rick in VA alerted me to it, and I've decided a while back to grow it for 2013. Several sources claim the unripe fruits are preferred over the ripe, is this so? Peppermania says the chiles have a sweet grapefruit like flavor. Anyone have experience with this pepper?

Peppermania:

"Aji Cristal; Capsicum baccatum; Chile

Aji Cristal: Another great baccatum producer. Elogated pods grow to approximately 4", ripening from pale white/yellow to orange to red orange. Plant growth habit is large and branching and may need staking from over load. Aromatic and flavorful, especially when not fully ripe. Almost a "sweet grapefruit" like flavor. Fruity heat (8) and crisp medium flesh makes this pod perfect for fresh consumption, most flavorful when green, an unusual trait for this species. Origin - Chile"

Here is a link that might be useful: Aji Crystal

• t-bones

I gew these a few years ago and would agree that they have a grapefruit like flavor. They did seem to be more flavorful when picked green rather than red. They make a great pepper flake.
    Tim

• john11840

This was my first year to grow them and agree with the comments by Beth and t-bones. They're very good in stir fry also. I saved seed and plan to grow them again next summer.
    John A

• peppermeister1

I also grew Aji Crystal this year. It's really tasty and definitely has a slight grapefruit flavor. And, yes I agree that they are more flavorful when picked green-yellow thn when picked fully ripe. Great back of throat heat that quickly dissipates and leaves a nice sweet after taste.

I harvested about 90 pods from 1 plant this year. There would have been many more if I picked them all while green, but I wanted to save a lot for seed so I let quite a few mature. There aren't many seeds in the pods. I saved some, so email me if you'd like me to send you a packet.

Here is a link that might be useful: PEPPERMEISTER! Hot pepper gardening, recipes, and chile info.

• avidgardener25

Excuse me Peppermeister, I don't mean to butt in, but if you have any extra aji crystal seeds, I would love to trade you some or just let me know if you are looking for anything in particular. Thanks.

-Preston

• peppermeister1

Cool, click on "My Page" and email me a list of seeds you have. I'd love to trade.

• avidgardener25

Sent an email Peppermeister.

• sidhartha0209

Hey Peppermeister,

Thanks for the input and for the seed offer, but let someone else have them, I'm going to order plants for 2013.

• sidhartha0209

From reviews I've read Birgit's Locoto sounds very similar to Aji Crystal.

Can anyone give a good comparison of the two?

Thanks,

Larry

Here is a link that might be useful: Birgit's Locoto

• rick_in_va

Birgit's Locoto are larger and fatter, obviously. They turn red much faster. Aji Crystal stays yellow a long time before gradually turning orange, and is about done by the time it gets red. The flavor is not so good at that point.

• peppermeister1

No worries Sid, glad you are going to try it. CCN has great plants, I've had great experiences with them.

Rick in va: You're right on, the Aji Crystal takes a really long time to turn red, the only reason you would wait is for seed harvesting since the flavor is unimpressive at that point.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peppermeister's 2012 Seed giveaway.

• sidhartha0209

rick in va - "...Aji Crystal stays yellow a long time before gradually turning orange, and is about done by the time it gets red. The flavor is not so good at that point."

Hey rick, have you pickled the green/yellow ones?

• rick_in_va

Of course!