thinking_stomach

are balloon peppers and nepalese bell peppers the same thing?

thinking_stomach

Please excuse my lack of information, but I'm just trying to clarify what I have seeds for.

Seed Savers used to list the Balloon Pepper, but now lists a "Nepalese Bell Pepper" that looks and sounds identical in its description. Are they the same thing? Is the pepper really Nepalese, or is it so named because of its shape?

Thanks for your help! I love this fabulous resource!

• fiedlermeister

I saw that in the catalog and that's the first time I've seen that name or the reference to Nepal. This ( or a similar pepper) has many names . Here are some I have grown -there are several more names which I won't list.

Peri Peri

Pimenta de 3 Pontas

PI 487974 AKA Chapeau de Frade

Bishops Hat

Pimenta Cambuci

IAC Ubatuba Cambuci

Campane

Rocotillo

This shows how much shape can vary

PI 643124--not named but obvious similarities

• thinking_stomach

Fiedlermeister,

Thank you so much. That helps me know a bit what to expect--has every variety that you've grown of the balloon/peri peri/bishops hat variety have a similar taste?

I really appreciate your help!

• fiedlermeister

They are similar but with some variation. Some had no heat at all and some had mild heat in some pods and none in others on the same plant. Campane had no heat green but moderate heat when red ripe. All had ,to me, a nice flavor.