Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

This angers me...DUI's and Public Intoxication

13 years ago

I need to stop reading TMZ, but dang there's a lot of Hollywood gossip going on!

Remember Christina A. (can't spell her name) who totally ruined The Star Spangled Banner? She was arrested last night for public intoxication. Apparently she's been going downhill for a long time which explains the flub with the song.

Anyway..her boyfriend was driving drunk, he got a DUI. Christina was a passenger & very drunk. She got arrested for public intoxication.

I'm not defending her but here's my beef. EVERY holiday season, from Christmas to the 4th of July, our TV's are loaded with commercials telling us to have a designated driver or to call one of the cab companies who picks people up for free so they won't get arrested or kill themselves and others.

But NEVER do we hear in those commercials, "But remember, you can go to jail if you're drunk and have a designated driver!" If it's perfectly okay to call a cab which police condone, then shouldn't the cab drivers be reporting all those "tipsy" people they take home?

Now I don't drink, maybe a glass of wine once a year..but this just angers me.

Those commercials are telling the public it's OKAY to get drunk as long as the public has a designated driver.

I understand arresting someone if they're drunk in a grocery store or something. To me, that's PUBLIC intoxication!

I'd sue. lol. Thoughts?

Comments (19)

• 13 years ago

She didn't have a designated driver. She deserved what she got.

And ... I think you're making broad assumptions about why she flubbed the words on the SSB.

• 13 years ago

I'm not making any assumptions, it's public knowledge now because of the flub she made on the song, on how she's "over the edge" and changed since her divorce.

But that's neither here nor there.

If a person is drunk they can't tell if the driver is sober. It shouldn't matter whether the driver is sober or not, according to the law she's still "publicly intoxicated." There's no law saying you can't get arrested if you ONLY have a designated driver. That's simply not on the books.

If one can get arrested even though they're not driving the car, then the "authorities" had best say so while warning us up the wazoo to call a cab, etc. Heck, who's to say a cab driver isn't drunk? ;)

• 13 years ago

Not buying your logic. How do you explain the flubs the AI contestants made during auditions? Maybe you should take your own advice and stop reading TMZ.

• 13 years ago

"Public Intoxication" by definition has to be in public. You can be drunk as a passenger in the privacy of your own vehicle. My guess is that once they were pulled over she either became combative/vocal through the window, or got out of the car and did the same, and that is what allowed the police to charge her with PI.

• 13 years ago

Yes, stop reading TMZ-type stuff. It's trash. Don't believe they get every detail correct anyway. Besides not caring whether what they publish is correct, they are just lower than pond scum in that the methods used to obtain this kind of stuff you're reading. There are the facts and then there is spin = TMZ and like-publications and websites.

I think the world would be so much better without the TMZ-type publications.

Also, not sure of what has you angry. Most celebrities are usually given the "red carpet" treatment by law enforcement when it comes to breaking the law and getting caught/arrested.

I guess I just never understood what it is in these types of publications that attracts such a following? It is not as tho you personally know the people they are reporting on. Why would anyone give any of the reported celebrity behavior attention or a minute of their time?

• 13 years ago

Oakley -

I mean this in the best possible way, but it sounds like you need to step away from the gossip mags, websites and tv shows. Find something more worthy of your time. I know you have shared that you are at loss since your children have gone, but it really sounds like you are bored.

Honestly, I have enough in my own little world, community, etc. going on to worry about those I don't even know.

JMHO -

tina

• 13 years ago

Tina, that's going a bit far. Some of us actually enjoy television. ;)

• 13 years ago

The article I read (on cnn, not a celebrity gossip site) said she was arrested because she was not able to take care of herself and there was no one responsible around who could take care of her, so they took her into custody for her own protection. If that's true, then having a designated driver (who is presumably sober) would not get you arrested, as the designated driver would be responsible for you. In this cae, my guess is they were hauling the boyfriend to jail and they couldn't just leave her there in the middle of the road drunk, so they arrested her too.

• 13 years ago

I think Oak is just making conversation here. I doubt she is really sitting around and seething over this.

The TMZ TV show is my guilty pleasure.

• 13 years ago

Natal - perhaps I should have clarified. I should have said GOSSIP mags, GOSSIP websites, GOSSIP tv shows. My response wasn't about tv. Actually, until graywings response, I thought TMZ was a website. Hopefully, others understood what I was saying.

tina

• 13 years ago

What's a gossip TV show? Housewives?

• 13 years ago

No one is going to get a PI just by being a passenger in a car. PIs are given because the individual is unable to handle themselves properly.

BTW, assuming that someone's social life is in the toilet because they like celebrity gossip is presumptuous and just plain snotty.

• 13 years ago

Natal - I'm basically saying the same thing YOU said above, just expanding on it:

"Maybe you should take your own advice and stop reading TMZ."

I think you can figure out what I mean. I'm not going to argue with you.

tina

• 13 years ago

tina, that is a broad assumption saying that it sounds like Oakley is bored since her kids are gone-I'd be pissed if someone told me that! You really don't KNOW her enough on here to make that comment! SHEESH!

• 13 years ago

Okay Olliesmom -

Oakley and others, please forgive the assumption. For what it's worth, I mentioned that BECAUSE of past remarks Oakley has made. Should have thought before I typed.

tina

• 13 years ago

Tina, I didn't include mags and TV shows. Oakley only mentioned TMZ.

• 13 years ago

On the subject of drinking: in some states you can be charged with Driving Under the Influence (DUI) even if you aren't driving. If you own the car and are a passenger and the driver is under the influence, it's called DUI by consent.

• 13 years ago

Oh good grief Tina! I shouldn't have to explain my life to you but I will. Just this once.

Trust me, I am FAR from bored. LOL

I woke up at 4am ready to start the day and have FUN. Which I was doing until I read your reply.

By the way, I read your "apology" but since you do this to me on a constant basis, I take it with a grain of salt.

I sat at the computer with my morning coffee and I answer emails, go to various boards, read the "real" news, and this morning I went to TMZ to see what the latest was on Charlie Sheen. Oh, in case you're interested, most if not all News programs, including CBS, NBC, CNN, FOX and ABC quote TMZ on a regular basis. So I'm in good company. :)

I do NOT read gossip mags nor watch gossip shows and I don't sit at the computer 24/7 like you always seem to be doing.

Never did I say I was at a loss or bored with my kids grown! I've said I miss them terribly even though they live close by. I still have Empty Nest Syndrome because of the sheer happiness I experienced. That doesn't mean I fill my brain with hollywood gossip all day!

Maybe you should lighten up a bit regarding TV and magazines. Sounds to me like you need to LAUGH because you take life soooo darn serious on that high horse you ride. Sorry, but it had to be said.

Hey, maybe you should watch some TV yourself instead of judging other's for doing so. You make TV watching sound like only dunce's watch it, and you're far too superior to loosen up and watch television yourself. That's what I perceive from past threads. :)

Natal, I do believe TMZ. I've been reading it for years now and they always get their stories right. On the AOL main page, almost every day in the news section it says, "TMZ is reporting..."

After the Super Bowl we couldn't escape all the talk about Xtina, either online, newspapers or magazines. Even Time and Newsweek.

They reported, along with TMZ that after her very recent divorce she started drinking and is hanging out with the "wrong" crowd, including this guy she's dating.

That's why I said it explains the Super Bowl.

Natal, we need to do a TV topic and talk about our favorite shows! Jay or David? I like them both but mostly watch Jay. :)

• 13 years ago

This morning all the networks are reporting the same story about Xtina that TMZ broke yesterday. Just sayin... :)

And I heard that Xtina was so drunk she was putting herself in danger.

So I agree, she should have been arrested.