Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jterrilynn

How do I check on a charity?

12 years ago

Is there a site I can go to that would show how much of the proceeds actually are used for good? My neighbor sends me a card to give to Autism Spectrum Disorder every year. I have given before but is this best organization/foundation/charity for Autism to give to? By the way the card is worded it sounds like more of an awareness campaign. I would rather give to cure research. If you give to Autism what is your charity of choice?

Comments (11)

• 12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Charity Navigator

Remember its a .org

Here is a link that might be useful: Charity check

• 12 years ago

You can also check with the Better Business Bureau if the charity is registered with them and they will give a summary of the charity and you can see what percentage of their funds were used for administrative purposes. I've linked an autism charity below as an example for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Autism Speaks

• 12 years ago

Yes, Charity Navigator is best and Guidestar is good, too. With Guidestar you can see their Form 990. It's free to join.

• 12 years ago

Thank you Maddielee and Fun2, I think I like the sound of the Organization for Autism Research.
    Before we received the card from neighbor my husband and I were talking about what charities we were going to give to this year and Autism was one. I'll still give to the neighbors pick as well though because her grandson has Autism. Boy it's getting spooky how common it is becoming. I know a gal down the street that has twin boys, both have Autism. I just cannot imagine how hard it must be.

• 12 years ago

Thanks Dedtired!

• 12 years ago

jterrilynn - have you tried googling the name of the charity? If the name of the charity is Autism Spectrum Disorder Foundation, you might want to read the following link and then do some more googling. It is a story of how an amateur blogger investigated that organization via the internet.

The blogger's investigation is here:
    http://neurodiversity.com/weblog/?q=autism+spectrum+disorder+foundation

If you decide not to contribute to the organization, you might want to contact your neighbor and explain why.

Here is a link that might be useful: Investigating via the internet.

• 12 years ago

Here's a list of worst and best charities put out by Consumer Reports. They also suggest Charity Navigator. My mom was sending money to the Veteran's org listed as one of the worst, so she stopped when she saw this. We found a highly rated Vet support group for her.

Graywings, I like that article. I love the way the net has given power to the consumer, although we have to navigate a mine field out there to get correct info. Always consider the source.

• 12 years ago

Wow graywings, thank you for that. I'm going to send the link to neighbor and explain that I'm going to give to Autism but not Autism Spectrum. I'm also going to spend a little more time reading up on which to pick for a donation. Just goes to show if something doesn't feel right it probably isn't. Glad I posted here!

• 12 years ago

Jterrilynn, as the mom of a child with autism I thank you putting autism on your list. Autism Speaks is a great organization. You may also want to find out if your school district has a special program for kids with autism. Our small district has an ASD coordinator who works with the schools and trains teachers and staff who work with our kids. Because school budgets have been reduced beyond reason, our program is funded with private donations. In its few years of existence, it has made a huge impact. Nan

• 12 years ago

Nan, I truly believe Autism is one of the best charities to give to at this time. It's mind boggling how common it's becoming. As a mother of two healthy unaffected by Autism grown sons I know how hard just that alone is. I really cannot imagine what all is involved on finding out that your precious baby has Autism and all the heartache and challenges that go with it. You are welcome to post any literature on this thread that may help others to understand exactly what Autism is and what you feel is the cause. I'm interested specifically on possible causes.

• 12 years ago

Thanks for the discussion!
    They really get you these days with some charities; even if you can look them up; some may be too new to get info on & you always have to keep researching because things change. Look at Komen; they started good & now lost sight of the goal.

For Autism; you can also look into places like Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia who has been doing a lot of research. Check out Decoding Autism You can watch the full program at the link

Previews on you tube when video is offline-

Decoding Autism by Sara Lee Kessler - NJN News

Decoding Autism Preview

Autism Gene

Decoding Autism Behaviors and Ideas for Interventions

Early Detection Test for Autism

Has anyone donated to Center for Advancement in Cancer Education (CACE) (beatcxancer.org)

Guidestar page

WIKI link to 501 codes
    501(c)(1) Corporations Organized Under Act of Congress (including Federal Credit Unions)
    501(c)(2) Title Holding Corporation for Exempt Organization
    501(c)(3) Religious, Educational, Charitable, Scientific, Literary, Testing for Public Safety, to Foster National or International Amateur Sports Competition, or Prevention of Cruelty to Children or Animals Organizations
    501(c)(4) Civic Leagues, Social Welfare Organizations, and Local Associations of Employees
    501(c)(5) Labor, Agricultural, and Horticultural Organizations
    501(c)(6) Business Leagues, Chambers of Commerce, Real Estate Boards, etc.
    501(c)(7) Social and Recreational Clubs
    501(c)(8) Fraternal Beneficiary Societies and Associations
    501(c)(9) Voluntary Employee Beneficiary Associations
    501(c)(10) Domestic Fraternal Societies and Associations
    501(c)(11) Teachers' Retirement Fund Associations
    501(c)(12) Benevolent Life Insurance Associations, Mutual Ditch or Irrigation Companies, Mutual or Cooperative Telephone Companies, etc.
    501(c)(13) Cemetery Companies
    501(c)(14) State-Chartered Credit Unions, Mutual Reserve Funds
    501(c)(15) Mutual Insurance Companies or Associations
    501(c)(16) Cooperative Organizations to Finance Crop Operations
    501(c)(17) Supplemental Unemployment Benefit Trusts
    501(c)(18) Employee Funded Pension Trust (created before June 25, 1959)
    501(c)(19) Post or Organization of Past or Present Members of the Armed Forces
    501(c)(21) Black lung Benefit Trusts
    501(c)(22) Withdrawal Liability Payment Fund
    501(c)(23) Veterans Organization (created before 1880)
    501(c)(25) Title Holding Corporations or Trusts with Multiple Parents
    501(c)(26) State-Sponsored Organization Providing Health Coverage for High-Risk Individuals
    501(c)(27) State-Sponsored Workers' Compensation Reinsurance Organization
    501(c)(28) National Railroad Retirement Investment Trust

Here is a link that might be useful: Wiki 501(c) organization guide