Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faron79

Siiiiggh....we're losing our Golden...

14 years ago

Hi gang...

Not tryin' to bring anyone down here, but our 11yo Golden-Retriever, Sashi, has the all-to-common "C" word.

Started pretty fast too...mid-late August.

Hasn't eaten a thing for a few days, but does drink water.

Getting pretty weak.

I've been gently "force-feeding" her by wiping some baby-food on her rear tongue, while holding her mouth open.

Last Friday, a liver enzyme was elevated, and is affecting her appetite I guess, along with possible stomach/swollen pancreas-area tumor I found out this a.m. at the vet. Also,

her Lymph-nodes have almost doubled in size the last 4 days the Vet. said.

Vet added Prednisone today, 20mg to the Liver-pill medication(s). Should at least get her interested in eating, the Vet said.

We've decided we're not gonna put her through another operation for the definitive Biopsy, since there's not really anything else it could be.

So...it's just seeing if her "Quality of Life" will improve for a time.

We know now that her time is coming, and we've gotta get ready to say good-bye.

Sad in Fargo,

Faron

Comments (41)

• 14 years ago

Oh Faron,

I am so sorry to hear your bad news and I applaud your decision to keep her comfortable for only so long.

Hugs to your family to stay strong while you continue to think of your Sahsi's comfort first.

Why don't dogs live longer? :(

• 14 years ago

Oh no! ((hugs to Sasha from Cooper and Bailey))and to you all. We went through that with our first golden, Cody who was also 11, so I know how you feel. Hopefully you can keep her comfortable as she fades away. We had to have our girl put down a week after the confirmed diagnosis since she was in grave danger of bleeding out, which would have been terrible for her. We held her and comforted her as she left us. take care.

• 14 years ago

Another Golden family here sending sympathy.

• 14 years ago

It's always tough making that final decision. Give her all the love you can until it's time to say goodbye.

• 14 years ago

So very sorry to hear that. God bless the baby. May she be pain free. Love from Phoenix Eileen

• 14 years ago

That's very sad, Faron. Please give your Sashi a hug from me. You and your family are in my thoughts in this difficult time.

• 14 years ago

Sorry to hear your baby is so sick, Faron. I went through that with one of mine. The lymph nodes just exploded within a couple of days from first detection. It's very hard to watch them go through these things.

Always remember how loved, loving, and happy she was. That's all that's important to them.

Take care.

• 14 years ago

I'm so sorry!! Of course, cherish the time you have left. Thinking of Sashi, you and your family.

• 14 years ago

Aww, Faron. I am so sorry to hear this. I can't imagine how hard it must be....and the shock of it happening so fast. I hope Sashi sees some improvement in the days to come. Wishing you comfort at this time of transition.

• 14 years ago

I hope you can manage a bit more time with Sashi's and that she can be reasonably comfortable while you prepare yourself to let go. ((Such a hard time))

• 14 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear this. I'll keep you and Sashi in my prayers.

• 14 years ago

I am so, so, so sorry. To some maybe this would be too sad, but we took extra pictures when we knew it was getting close to the end. They ARE sad, but I'm glad we did it anyway.

• 14 years ago

No words Faron, other than I am so very sorry . . .

tina

• 14 years ago

Faron, I'm so sorry and am sad to say this, but we're in the same boat as you. I've been too upset to post this, but found out 2 weeks ago my beloved kitty girl Maui most likely has the "c" word too. Lymphmasarcoza? I watched as her mother had her and she's fifteen now, so we've been buddies for a long time. She's a big part of our family and I"m not sure what we'll do with out her. I feel for you and hope the Pred helps. --Lukki

• 14 years ago

I'm so sorry Faron! :*(

• 14 years ago

So very sorry here too ....

Pets bring us such great gifts of deep love .... and at the end .... to let them go in peace to their rest is OUR gift to them ....

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• 14 years ago

I am so sorry, Faron. A good friend's Golden died of a brain tumor last week, another friend's dog had a stroke on Sunday, and we found out last week that our 15yo Robbie has Congestive Heart Failure. Wow! I guess lots of us are in the same age group, and so are our pets. It is so hard to watch them age and become ill. I know you will treasure your time with Sashi.

Jana

• 14 years ago

Oh Faron, I'm so sorry... it's terribly difficult to lose these precious pals. In a world where jobs, spouses, children, friends, etc. can hurt and disapoint us, our pets love us all the time, make us feel important and needed... It's a hard thing to let go of.

Many heart-hugs being sent your way...

• 14 years ago

(((((Faron & Family))))) I am so very sorry. It's just devastating to realize you're reaching the end of the time left to spend with a dear friend such as Sashi. I wish you all peace.

• 14 years ago

Oh, Faron. (((Hugs, hugs, hugs)))

Over the years we've had to say goodbye to two of our dogs.

It is a very difficult time for your whole family.

• 14 years ago

(((HUGS))) from one who's been there with kitties....

• 14 years ago

Oh, Faron, hugs and sympathy from another Golden lover -- I'm still mourning my Sam, who died at 13 almost 2 years ago . . . I hope to be puppy-shopping soon, but the Sam-shaped hole in my heart will always be there. I'm sure that will be true for you and your Sashi as well . . .

• 14 years ago

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear this, lots of hugs from another golden family

• 14 years ago

I am so sorry, Faron. Losing our furry friends is always so hard. You are in my thoughts and my prayers.

Take care, Kelly.

• 14 years ago

((((Faron, Sashi and Faron Family)))).

From Zelda, Max, Howard & Mr. & Mrs. Pesky

• 14 years ago

Bless you Faron and Sashi.

• 14 years ago

(typin' thru tears here...)

You guys are all so wonderful!
    I'm sorry for the losses many of you have had too.

Now we're finding out how much this ACTUALLY sucks...

When I was waaaaayy younger (mid-1960's!), we had a dog named Sashi (mostly Lab I think) on our farm! I suggested this name to DD when we first got THIS Sashi in Sept. '98 for her 8th B-day.
    We were mulling over a few names for a couple days, and DD did decide on using "Sashi" again!
    (kinda surprised Me though!)

In a weird way, I guess I/we'll lose a "Sashi" twice...

Faron

• 14 years ago

So sad. I feel your pain, and we can all feel your love for Sashi. Know that Sashi feels the love, too. You will know when it's time, and acting on it at the right time is a combination of courage and hell. I have been through this several times with a friend's dogs, and my little 3-year-old died suddenly mid-July, so I am now a member of this painful club, too.

DO take some photos of her if you can bring yourself to. I flipped thru some of my pup, and I concluded that I just didn't take enough. (That next pup of mine doesn't know what she's in for!)

Please post a photo of her so we can ooh and ahh over her!

And hugs to your DD and the rest of the family, too.

• 14 years ago

Sorry, Faron. My best friends have a golden named Roxie. She is a doll.

Red

• PRO
    14 years ago

Oh no! :~( So sorry to hear the news about Sashi.

(((hugs)))

• 14 years ago

This is always so sad, all the best to you in this trying time.

• 14 years ago

All I can do is send hugs and prayers that the Great Mother takes her back to the Source gently and painlessly when it's time, and for you the wish that eventually the memories of Sashi bring smiles along with your tears.

• 14 years ago

Oh I am so sorry to hear about Sashi. Please take care and try to be as positive as you can around her. As sad as you are you will remember the happiness.

• 14 years ago

I am so sorry, (((Faron)))! To many of us, our dogs and cats are furkids and it hurts terribly to see them ill and to lose them. Take heart in knowing what a wonderful life you've given Sashi. Eleven years of love, a warm house, a family to call her own and love back. I think you've all been blessed with each other. I hope her eventual passing is peaceful.
    Lynn

• 14 years ago

I'm so sorry, Faron. This is always hard, but cancer is especially ugly.

I don't much about dogs, but I've lost 3 cats to cancer. Please talk to your vet about buprenorphine for pain management. It's a controlled substance that is absorbed through the skin of the mouth, so you don't have to get it down the throat. The amount is tiny. Causes some drowsiness, but it really helped with pain.

Hugs to Sashi, you and your family.

• 14 years ago

To all of you, I am so sorry about your loving pet, she knows she is loved and may her passing be pain free. Many Good thoughts to Sashi, she'll be loved in Heaven also Faron.

• 14 years ago

My prayers are with all of you. The only fault our companions have is that they do not live long enough. They come into our lives and fill our hearts then leave it with a huge, empty spot never to be completely filled. But they fill our hearts so much that the hole is cushioned with all the memories of all the wonderful joy we shared with them.

After my Kiki kitty girl passed I went through all my extra photos from the past 17 years. You know, all those duplicates from prior to digital. I was amazed to see just how often she and our pup were actually in pictures, unintentionally. Like when we take a pic of a sofa to post here and BAM there is the cat lounging on the chair in the corner. Well I took all those photos and put them in an album. No written words, just pictures. They tell their own story. It was the best therapy ever. I did manage to make my buddy's book while he was still living. I need to start my pup's book. I think I will need a bigger book. Like the other reply said, I have taken a ton of him intentionally.

I am in process of making a shadow box with his collar. It will make me cry every time I look at it, but the happy thoughts will flood in and make it so worth daydreaming.

Do whatever your heart tells you to make Sashi comfortable. It is all we can do for those we love, and you obviously love Sashi.

Take care. Remember the Rainbow Bridge.

• 14 years ago

Faron,

Just saw your post today. From another Golden lover ((((Hugs)))) We lost our beloved Ella last September at age 4 to either a stroke or cerebral hemorrhage. All you can do is be glad that you have given her a happy life and help her now that she is sick. Your happy memories will always stay with you.

beache

• 14 years ago

Beache,
    A loss @ age 4?!!?

Oh no!!! I'm so sorry! Hopefully you had lots of "Puppy pics"?!?

Our Sashi is doing better on the Pred. More like her old self. At least She's eating, drinking...but I can still feel the swollen lymph glands in her neck.

Faron

• 14 years ago

Faron ~ My comforting thoughts go out to you and your family. I hope the time you have with Sashi will be peaceful and sweet.

(((Nora)))

• 14 years ago

Glad Sashi is feeling better. I hope that continues for a long time. My thoughts are with your family.