Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ljsandler

Pics of Furniture with Minwax Dark Walnut Stain

16 years ago

CP from Furniture.

Does anyone have any pics of a piece of furniture, preferably on cherry with the Minwax, Dark Walnut stain? If so, I would love to see them.

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• 16 years ago

Have you picked up (maybe at Lowes or Home Depot) a free copy of Wood Beautiful magazine? Sometimes, their mag will have just the photo you need. Or you can get it from the Minwax site.

Red

Here is a link that might be useful: Minwax

• 16 years ago

Will do. Great idea, red.

• 16 years ago

I don't have pictures yet but just finished (a few hours ago) staining my front door entry system in Minwax dark walnut and it's gorgeous! I keep going out into the foyer just to sit and look at them.

To warm up the color a bit without lightening it too much, I did mix the stain with 5 parts dark walnut to 1 part English chestnut. My doors are knotty alder and the threshold is oak, and the alder took the stain darker than the oak.

• 16 years ago

Would love to see it!!!

Thanks!

• 16 years ago

lsander - I leave early in the morning and get home after dark so won't be able to take pics this week, but I wanted to mention an easy way to test the stain color before you make a final decision for your furniture piece.

I went to a hardwood supply store and ordered a 1/2" thick long board in the material used for my doors, and had them cut it up into several pieces. Then I purchased several minwax stains that I thought may work and stained the boards (1 coat on one side, 2 coats on the other, etc. - and kept track by marking the sides of the boards with the exact application and color).

When none of those were just right, I started mixing colors using a plastic teaspoon to make small stain mixtures and keeping track of the formulas by again writing on the sides of the boards with a Sharpee pen.

Since I liked the darkness of the Dark Walnut and the warmth of the English Chestnut (Red Mahogany made it too red), I used 5 parts to 1 part English Chestnut down to 1 to 1. Needless to say, I have several boards all over my house and it was a small investment, but felt much more secure in taking the plunge and staining my doors once I saw the samples.

• 16 years ago

Great idea, juddgirl2--

I will try it!

Thanks!