Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
parsuzi

Backsplash Help, please! Pic Heavy & Cross posted

14 years ago

Cross posted in Kitchen forum.

Hi everyone. I haven't posted in a while. Our kitchen still isn't quite finished - but it's time to choose a backsplash. I didn't reduce the pics, sorry.

Originally, I wanted the Alys Edwards Gigi Stix. Concerns about that: Too small/busy for my galley kitchen? Might get tired of grays?

This one shows the size of the stix better

Then I looked at the glass 1x2s - Again - they read blue/gray. Is it too much shine? (Old pic, before the counter was installed.)

How about the marble sticks? Too much grout? Even if I choose white?

Traditional white subway? Too boring? But it is neutral, can accesorize w/ whatever color I like.

ACK! Need advice, input.

Counter is Zodiaq Cloud White...As far as style, I know that some of these backsplashes read traditional and others are more modern. Our home is a 1950's split - kitchen in front of house. (I stood in the front 'hall' when photographing the pics of the kitchen below). We have a ton of real wood paneling in the house, which we have painted white, but eventually may remove and replace w/ drywall. Neither DH or I are in love with our house - we have a habit of flipping them and moving on. That said, Murphy's Law indicates that this is the house we stay in for more than 5 years!!

I had also considered this one

Here it is again, next to the other glass 1x2 tiles

Here is the kitchen. Please excuse the mess.

Any advice or input is appreciated.

TIA

Parsuzi

Comments (28)

• 14 years ago

hi- at first I was liking the darker glass tiles, but wasn't sure if they might be too dark with your cabinets.. then when I saw the lighter version of the glass tiles, I thought those were it.
    I like the colors and they also (at least on my monitor) bring in the lovely and warm floor color....so my vote goes to the lighter glass.
    Goes without saying- you have a lovely kitchen.

• 14 years ago

Which one makes you feel happiest? Which color are you mesmerized by most? I think backsplashes are, perhaps, one of the most personal selections you can make in a kitchen. I mean there are a gazillion choices!

How much light do you actually get in the kitchen? I see one window. Is it eastern light? I think, if your light level is high, I would go with the darker tiles, but if it is high, I would go with the lighter tiles.

Why were you drawn to your first selection? I think it is very neutral and would work well in your kitchen. The pattern is so small that with a blended color of grout, I don't think it will look as "busy" as you are worried it may be. I see all sorts of paint colors you could pair it with.

• 14 years ago

Okay, sorry. Typo. I meant if the light level is high, I would tend to the darker backsplash, although light would work well too. But, if the light level is low, I would definitely go with the lighter backsplashes.

• 14 years ago

I really like the first ones.

• 14 years ago

I like the marble sticks. I think it is a more timeless look than the glass tiles and wouldn't limit color choices down the road.
    Glass tiles are very trendy which means they could date rather quickly.

• 14 years ago

doonie - we have 2 windows - facing west. Afternoon light is terrific.

It's not a dark kitchen, even w/ the dark cabs, but I don't want it to feel dark.

After some thought, I was worried that the first choice, the gigi stix, might just be too small. I was also worried about committing to a color, even though gray is considered neutral.

I am concerned with the kitchen looking dated, and that going too trendy might hasten that.

Interestingly, white (the counter) is a hard color to match - probably no surprise to those of you hanging out on this forum. I guess I never realized the full scope of the whites...

Not sure about white subway. It's a good choice, and inexpensive, but is it 'boring' in my application?

Sheilaaus - After putting so much energy into this kitchen, I'm feeling the post-reno letdown. (Like post-partum, I think) Originally, we wanted an all-white kitchen, but (for several reasons) decided against it. The cherry is a second choice, and we are OK with it, but our hearts were set on the white....thanks for the compliment.

• 14 years ago

I like the more neutral color glass tiles best, and the marble gigi stix second best. I don't like the darker glass tiles with your counter and they look very iridescent.

The white marble and subways are pretty, but I don't think they would add as much as your other choices.

Pretty kitchen!!

Jen

• 14 years ago

I like the lighter glass tiles also. The white marble are nice, but maybe too much grout lines.

• 14 years ago

I think you're right that the gray are too small. After poring over them, I think the light glass are fantastic with the counter.

• 14 years ago

I liked the third pic very much

• 14 years ago

Before the kitchen was complete, I borrowed the glass tile boards from the tile store. Then, I did some bad photoshopping to see what it would look like. Lighting is off... Here's what I came up with:

• 14 years ago

I think that your cabinets are very traditional in style and with the darker cherry wood, but you countertop is a tad more modern so I think you need something that can marry the two.

Personally, I love subway tiles - but you need to decide if you want your backsplash to be a focal point in the room or a backdrop to your counters and countertop accessories. Subway tiles don't have to be white - they could be gray, or cream or a light green. I also like the marble sticks, but maybe in a larger tile. The tiny tiles just don't do it for me. :-) Just my opinion of course!

I've seen some back splashes that look great during construction because there's nothing competing with them, but try to put anything decorative on the countertops and you have a problem because you then are trying to coordinate with a tile that is a big decorative element on its own.

Have you looked at the finished kitchens blogspot? They have a slideshow of just backsplashes, and I found it so helpful when doing my kitchen. Look to the right side for the link to the backsplash slideshow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchens Blogspot

• 14 years ago

I definitely like the darker better than the lighter after seeing your mock ups. I still may like the Stix a little better though. Too bad you don't have a big enough sample to do a mock up with it.

Laurie

• 14 years ago

I love the darker 1x2's!

• 14 years ago

The problem with those mock-ups is that the counter reads the wrong color...not white. When considering the white counters, I think I like the lighter glass better. It will also give you more room to play with wall color, though I like the gray you have now.

I don't care for the bright grout on the sample board of the darker glass. And I think if you use darker grout, the overall effect is going to get too dark.

I am also working with white counters and dark cherry cabs, so your look is near and dear to my heart. I like the way the glass marries the trad and contemporary like Carole suggests.

Even though I am about to use almost the same glass tile I picked in 2005, and I do worry about it being a passing trend, it is beautiful to me and I don't think I'll get tired of it. The mere fact that I still am so drawn to it has me less worried about the trend-factor.

I asked the woman at the tile showroom about when glass would be over. She said just about the same time my dark cabs and white counter would be. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry!

• 14 years ago

Amysrq- would you post a picture of the tile you chose? I'd love to see it.

We redid a kitchen in a house about 10 years ago - maple cabs w/ a cherry stain, a granite-looking laminate, stainless appliances. (No backsplash, did a wallpaper border at the base of the counter because we couldn't decide on a border. Looked good and we sold the house w/o ever choosing a backsplash.) We considered the same finishes this time around, after we decided not to go w/ our first choice, an all-white kitchen, but thought that surely these finishes would become dated soon. I'm not so sure.

Maybe that's why I'm having trouble choosing a backsplash. I don't want a dated kitchen and I'm not IN LOVE w/ any of the backsplash choices. We DO need to choose one, though, because our wall isn't finished well enough to paint until I decide.

• 14 years ago

I like the subway tiles too and/or the marble. I wonder what another color in the subway tile might look like, have you explored that? 3rd choice would be the darker of the glass tiles.

• 14 years ago

In reading between the lines :), I gather you aren't that thrilled with the blue/gray tones of the backsplash, so I think I'd suggest you keep looking. If I HAD to chose with what you've shown, I think either the light or dark glass tiles will work but IMO the blue tones would limit wall colors in the future.

I agree with carol re: subway tiles. They're classic and never go out of style. She also makes a good point of the problem of displaying accessories when it comes to some designs of backsplash.

If this is a house you don't want to put a lot of $$ into and don't expect to stay in it very long, consider just doing a simple backsplash (4"H) of the same granite as the counter.

• 14 years ago

Love the color of the Gigi Stix, but I think they're too small.

I really like the lighter 1x2. You get a bit of modern glitz, but it's still a natural, organic feeling tile.

Is that by chance Lunada Bay Sumi-E? I did a whole wall of that in my kitchen and am really happy with it! If it is Sumi-E, then they have a matte version if you don't like the shine, but personally I like it. Very pretty when the light hits it "just so."

• 14 years ago

Parsuzi, could you share the name of the two samples you used for the photoshop mockups? I especially like the darker one in your kitchen, but would love to try out both of them in mine!!

I also love the Gigi stix but think they might read very busy.

• 14 years ago

Hostagrams - the two samples I photoshopped were from Sonomatilemakers, Vihara style. Lighter one is called Puka, the blue-ish, darker one is Minka.

Here's a link. http://sonomatilemakers.com/ProductLine.aspx?prod-line-id=13

Here is a link that might be useful: Sonoma Tiles

• 14 years ago

im kindof seeing the white marble sticks here or something like cultured stone by owens corning, either the brick or the actual stone. seems like the smaller brick ones you show here seem a bit too cold. Try Boral brick, color:oyster bay

• 14 years ago

Parsuzi: Thanks for the information! Good luck in your choice!

• 14 years ago

Parsuzi, I am probably going to use Oceanside Glasstile in a combo of Sandstone and clear (which is pale blue). Haven't decided on Muse or Tessera yet and I don't know what format. My project got put on hold when the countertop installer exploded his knee skiing. I am kind of taking a break and doing other things.

Could be this but with a pale, clear blue where the dark blue is now.

• 14 years ago

Your woods are warm but everything else in the kitchen is screaming cold and stainless including the counter top. If you added the glass in the colors you have chosen I think you might be frozen out. You seem to like the glass tiles but how about picking up a color that is in your cabinets and the floor. That way you might feel that everything will blend in a little better.

• 14 years ago

I really prefer the marble or subways. If you are the sort of person to get tired of something, those glass tiles are going to be hard to decorate around if you ever decide to change colours.

• 14 years ago

That's interesting. Given my proclivity toward color, those two glass subways that parsuzi is considering actually feel neutral to me. :-)

• 14 years ago

I have knotty alder cabinets in a similarly dark finish, white granite countertops and ended up going with standard white subway tiles with a med grey grout. I love how the white counters and white backsplash make any colorful accessories pop.