Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nansea

Any downside to hanging upper cabinets lower than 18'?

14 years ago

I think I want to hang my upper cab:inets lower than the standard height. The KD I'm working with was hesitant at first, but he thinks it's ok if that's what I want. It seems a waste to have so much cab:inet up high, especially since I am only 5'2".

I'm thinking/planning that we'll have a 2 inch light rail, 42" upper cabs, and trim/molding up to the ceiling (8ft). Originally the KD had planned for 36 inch cabs and leaving the space above open. I read that Circuspeanut has lower cabs and loves them; I would like to hear more about how that is working out.

I'm not as concerned about space for countertop appliances as I am with the look and balance. I would love to hear what experience or opinions everyone has of lower cabs. My house and kitchen are fairly small with little natural light in the kitchen, I don't know if that makes a difference when considering cab height. My kitchen won't be a showpiece like some of the beauties I've seen on this web site, but I hope to end up with a user friendly, relaxing space.

Thanks for all the help and advice!

Comments (12)

• 14 years ago

I'm barely 5'3" and we had the cabients installed at 17" plus 1.25" light rail (so 15.75" above the countertop). I'm not actually "in" my kitchen yet but cannot wait to use it. The only appliances living on my counters will be a small 2nd microwave and a toaster (we're not coffee drinkers). As long as you know some appliances may have trouble with the lower cabs I don't see any other downside. My 9 year old daughter can reach more of the cabinets (heck, I can reach the 3rd shelf if not too high!). If I need to use a large appliance I always have the island. How low are you thinking of going? We could have gone another inch. It makes the cabinets that much more useful. I've lived temporarily in kitchens where I could only reach the 1st shelf - what a waste!

• 14 years ago

Hi - I'm not even 5' tall, so this is my 2nd kitchen with 16" between counter and cabinets. This time it's only on the sink wall, which is at standard height to accommodate the dishwasher, because I LOWERED the base cabinets to 34" on the other wall with the cooktop so I'd have a lower surface for cooking and to work at. The uppers are all the same, so there's a larger distance between the granite and uppers on that wall. I didn't have that in my other kitchen and never had any issues with the 16" space.

• 14 years ago

Besides making sure that your appliances fit in the space, the only downside I see is that if you have tall cabinets next to runs of cabinets with uppers and lowers, they won't line up. The tall cabinets are made so that their doors and drawer line up with the standard 36" base, 18" space, then the uppers.

• 14 years ago

Joann makes a good point--if you're using stock, you might need a filler crown to make them line up with tall pantries. Since people put different heights in their kitchens on purpose, for visual interest, it shouldn't be too hard to make a design that's pleasing.

A lot of small appliances nowadays assume 18". That's the main reason people stick to that number. In case they want to tuck a new coffee maker or mixer back under the cabinets. A good functional height for using them is probably more important.

• 14 years ago

Good point vis-a-vis stock cabinetry. My previous kitchen was stock so I just had to adjust the crown as my tall pantry cabinets were on a different wall. I'm currently using custom, so they were able to account for this issue. Another thing to consider is that because of having less space, you probably don't want to use a 4" backsplash.

• 14 years ago

One of my kitchens had 13 inches between uppers and lowers. I wish I would have done it this time. Even the 2nd shelf is UP THERE! Bearing in mind the appliances under it, I'd go closer together if I could.

• 14 years ago

circuspeanut...great website (mise-en-place)!

I'm 5'8" and my uppers are 19" above the 37" high counter(supposed to be 18"...didn't check it until the kitchen was done). Love the slightly higher counter (I asked for it), but wish I had thought ahead to how high the shelves in the uppers would be. Actually, with the 1.5" to hide the under cab lights, the first shelf is 20.5" above the counter. I really wish the uppers were lower, especially since the tallest appliance I keep out on the counter is my toaster :-)

My old uppers were about 17" and that's about right for me.

I ended up designating a spot for a step stool in the new kitchen, lol.

• 14 years ago

Our cabinets are 14" from the counter. Because they extend so low, we were able to have 4 shelves. I am 5'3" and I can reach the bottom three shelves easily. I love it!

Our 4 slice toaster fits under the cabinets, however, we pull it out to the edge of the counter when in use. Our knife block also fits underneath.

We have plenty of other counter areas without upper cabinets for prepping, baking, etc. If I didn't have other counter areas, it would be annoying to have the uppers extend down so far.

• 14 years ago

Sight lines are the only other factor people haven't mentioned, as long as you have undercab lighting. I get visually claustrophobic starting at 14"

• 14 years ago

Reyesuela,
    not sure, but do you mean that if there is undercounter lighting you don't have that claustrophobic feeling?