Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acountryfarm

we are moving !! x-posted to building & home deco

15 years ago

WE ARE MOVING TODAY !!!! it is crazy here and I have a million things to do.

My sweet children are so excited .

A little story

We picked up the van yesterday, my dh drove it home. I went to get food for all the helpers, when I pulled into the driveway back home, my heart stopped. I never thought I would see the moving truck here. I then just started crying. I am of course thrilled to moving to my dream home, but we have a lot of memories here as well. Silly I know, but Most of my married life, child bearing years, etc was in this home. I had a son die in this home, we have had fights, passion, riches, poverty, holidays, love, and so much more inside these walls.

You guys brought tears again to my eyes, thanks for thinking of me and you have all kept me sane. Thank you and I love you all.

We are on to new adventures, new experiences, new memories & I can finally say " Thank God I'm a country girl" .

Comments (19)

• 15 years ago

Aww congratulations!!! I know how you feel, I hated my blue vinyl sided, center hall colonial in a "neighborhood" full of homes that pretty much looked the same. But then after looking for years for a new place to live and finding a new house I began to really dread the thought of leaving it.

My kids were young when we moved there and we had celebrated so many happy times there with friends and family it felt like I was leaving a part of myself behind when it came time to go.

Our new house is in a wonderful location and I knew I would love it too but leaving so many memories can be a sad thing. The good news is that you will be creating memories in your new home that will equal those you have of the home you're leaving behind.

Home really is wherever your family is, the rest is all just wood, windows and walls after all!

The worst part for me was leaving my wonderful neighbors, but I even lucked out and have wonderful ones in my new home too! We still go back and have dinner in our old neighborhood and go right next door to our old house. Thankfully the people who bought our old house are wonderful and I have to admit that I think it looks even better than it did when we lived there. Their kids are mostly grown and they spend way more time and money on the yard than we ever did!

I'm sure you'll shed a few more tears before it's all over, but go from room to room and say goodbye to each space, then go to your new house and say hello to all the new spaces and you'll feel better!

I love the glimpses we've seen of your new home and can't wait to see the finished product!

Kat :) (a country girl too!!)

• 15 years ago

From one country girl to another, you just brought tears to my eyes! I often think I can't stand the house we're in and can't wait to move to the house we are to build on my acreage in the country, but I KNOW I'll get emotional and the memories will come rushing in for me, too, if/when the day actually gets here.

You will love and enjoy your new home.

• 15 years ago

Kimberly, you can't know how thrilled I was to read your post. I'm SO, so happy that things worked out for you with this beautiful new home . . .

And I fully understand how you feel about the old one. After so many years and experiences in a house, it seems almost to take on a soul of its own, reflecting those experiences.

The house we built in 2001 was a dream come true. We stayed on the property we loved -- beautiful lakefront on Indiana's largest natural lake. In order to build that house, we had to tear down the 75-year-old house we'd lived in for 25+ years. My DH, his mom and her husband all watched it come down. Me? Not on your life. By that time it had been stripped of everything anyone else could use and was a mere shell, but I couldn't bear to watch its destruction. I went shopping! And cried lots of tears in the process.

I got past it, and you will, too, but I think the tears and sentiment are inevitable, and they honor the life you've lived in that house.

Enjoy the moving in! Blessings to you and your family.

Arlene

• 15 years ago

its really tough to leave a place with so many memories; i left the wall that had the marks as my kids grew up.....
    but where we ended up being better and i hope it will be the same for you....
    memories are what make the fabrics of our lives
    i had to help pack up my parents and my childhood home with them knowing at some future point i would never go back there
    that was actually harder for me then my own move
    but maybe because the circumstances were also not good; my dad was developing serious dementia and my mom had to move to a better spot(and he was fairly young-late 60's)
    but we all adapt and sometimes it works out for the better
    hugs

• 15 years ago

yes. a house is far more than walls and a roof. a part of each of you will remain forever in your old home. but there are new days ahead in your new home, filled with joy as well the exquisite pain that is life. may you meet more happy days than sad. good luck to you and your family!

...but you're not leaving us, are you?

• 15 years ago

Oh that is such wonderful news! Congrats!

When's the housewarming party?

• 15 years ago

acountryfarm,

Congratulations! It's been a long haul, hasn't it?

I sympathize with your feelings of loss at your former home, even as you are so excited with your new one. I felt similarly on closing day when we sold the house we'd lived in for 20 years.

We were fortunate enough to have been able to move into the new place for several weeks before we closed on the old place. So I was all moved in and the new place absolutely felt like "home" already - but wow, did the tears flow when I did my final walk through in the old house on the way to closing.

I knew every inch of that house. I went through stroking all the counters, opened and closed every drawer and door. Bounced on all the squeaky spots... I SO didn't want to leave it and turn it over to "strangers". It took everything I had to not cry through the closing procedures.

When we left the closing, we followed the new buyer out into the parking lot and realized that he had parked his car right next to ours. His family (wife and 3 small children) were standing next to the car waiting for him. When he held up the keys they all started jumping up and down and screaming and begging to go "DIRECTLY" to the new house so they could use the swings. Watching that was such a gift to me. In an instant I was able to let go of the old place when I saw that it was going to be such a great place for a new family to raise their children in.

Treasure the memories from the old and have a wonderful time making new ones in your new, hard fought for new place.

• 15 years ago

What a long haul for you. I know it can be bittersweet (we left the house my kids were born in - well, not literally - where we had lived 13 years. I took the small rock with my angel's name on it, but left the lilacs and dogwood). But your new home is beautiful, with all the space and special features you've so carefully planned for your family. You'll make many more memories - hopefully all of them happy from now on - in your new place. Please post pics after you're done unpacking!

• 15 years ago

The ancient Romans understood your feelings.

They turned to the god Janus, the god of gates and doorways, sunrises and sunsets, beginnings and endings.

He gives his name to the month of January, the gateway between the old year and the new.

They understood that people needed extra protection and guidance during times of change, even good ones like this, and this god, who had two faces, one looking forward, one looking back, did just that. They are connected, as the faces are connected. They also understood that we never turn our backs on the people and places we love. It's not possible.

Trust me, I'm no new-ager. I'm more of a historian. But sometimes it's comforting nonetheless.

Either way, it's something to think about as you move in to your beautiful new home!

Good luck and enjoy it!

• 15 years ago

Congratulations! So many memories to be made in the new home you fought and worked so hard to have/create. You're not leaving the memories, the love, or the bittersweet ache in your heart behind, just the building. Best wishes and God bless you and your family.

• 15 years ago

Hey everyone,
    Just a quick update. We are all moved, doesn't mean a single thing is done. Oh my, the mess, the boxes, the dust, the things not finished. Serious unpacking tomorrow. My back is sore, my feet hurt, we can't find sheets for kids beds, our kitties are stressed, electric still isn't complete, no dishwasher, frig or stove, they come tomorrow.
    But....... my home, my home, is beautiful. My heart is here, if I had any doubt before it was eased today as we looked at the setting sun in our piece of sky. Our old home was in the trees and absolutely no outside living. People wonder why I wanted 68 windows and 8 pairs of french doors in this house. Today I can say, to bring God's creation to every room in the house.
    It is stunning. My life is here now, He has brought me home.

I appreciate all your support , wonderful prayers and well wishes. I will post pics soon. I am taking bunches because I want to share this with everyone.

Kimberly

• 15 years ago

Kimberly . . . . welcome home!

• 15 years ago

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you after everything you've been through. Enjoy settling in and loving your new home.

• 15 years ago

Kimberly, I am so happy for you! God has brought you home! Blessings to you and your family.

• 15 years ago

Kimberly, I just saw this thread and it brought tears for me. We have moved around a lot and each time it was such a heartwrenching experience: leaving our friends and neighbors, watching our girls pine for the 'old house', feeling the trepidation that the new place will never be to us what the old place was, and , of course, the sweet memories.

Our move last year was our last for a very long time and we, too, moved to the country. I never went outdoors early in the mornings when we lived in a neighborhood and now it's my favorite time of day...something about the birds and critters waking up to the sunrise gives peace.

Congratulations to you and your family for holding it together during this build. You have a beautiful home and I can't wait to see the official reveal!

Sandy

• 15 years ago

Enjoy the sunsets and seeing God's creation with your wonderful family. Congratulations! You did it!

• 15 years ago

Congratulations!!! Now you can start making memories in your beautiful new home!
    I admit to driving by our first house every so often-still miss parts of it, like my garden and the skating rink in the park behind it. We had 6 kids by the time we outgrew it, and I forget sometimes that the little kids didn't ever live there.
    Enjoy your new house-and the view from your 68 windows!!! :-)
    Looking forward to seeing pictures of your house after you get settled in!

• 15 years ago

can't wait to see your pics - take your time, you've got a lot to accomplish!! good luck with the unpacking. I hope you are enjoying yourself a little bit through the chaos!

• 15 years ago

Congratulations! I just knew everything would work out!

Alicia