Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lots2do_gw

Do you use templates? (looking for advice)

16 years ago

Hi,

I decided to play around with some fabric this morning instead of doing my 'must-do's. I made a little kite block from BH&G's 505 Blocks book. It came out okay but I'd like to try again in a more efficient way. I used freezer paper templates instead of making plastic ones from the pattern. But when I was all done, I realized that with the exception of one piece, all of the pieces were half square triangles, one rectangle and half rectangle triangles (if that makes sense). I would like to blow this up from a 4" block to at least a 6" block. Now I should be able to rotary cut what I need after I figure out the math, I think. Or does it make sense to make plastic templates? The one time I did try that they came out a little wobbly. I cut them out with scissors. Does anyone use an Xacto knife to do that?

I like this block but it is seeming so complicated to me right now.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me out!

Kelly - NH

Comments (8)

• 16 years ago

Okay-
    This message just disappeared from the list after I posted it. I am hoping this might make it reappear...
    K.

• 16 years ago

I have used templates, but for those diamond shapes. I made them from cardboard using a utility knife to make the template.

Marti in Mexico

• 16 years ago

Hi Kelly~

I've used a matt knife for cutting template plastic with no problems. An Xacto knite would be the same. Use a metal straight edge and be careful if you decide to try it.

If you can figure the math, rotary cutting would be a whole lot faster and easier I would think. I'm doing that now for a Storm-at-Sea design.

jd

• 16 years ago

I would never use a template if I could do rotary cutting, but circles and diamonds--that's another story, as is the square template I used for marking sewing lines on the circles of the Peek-a-Boo I-Spy quilts I made.

• 16 years ago

I have made a template (out of freezer paper or template plastic) and then still rotary cut by laying my ruler over the template along the edge I was cutting. The templat helped me get the exact size and shape, but I still cut everything with my ruler/rotary cutter.

• 16 years ago

I did the same thing as laurainskca, using my long see through rotary ruler laid over the freezer paper. Was so simple...and way more accurate for me than cutting with scissors.

Lynn in PA

• 16 years ago

Thanks everybody!
    I have found yet another project to do! (My son said, "What happened to all of those yo-yos you were making?"). I'm going to use my experimental kite block for a nametag for my guild meetings and quilt classes and then try some 6" blocks as time allows.

I do have to say that I am not at all unhappy that I 'took the day off' to play around with this. My schoolwork always gets done, one way or another, and it will this year as well.

Thanks again,
    Kelly - NH

• 16 years ago

I try to figure out if I can rotary-cut as much as possible, but if I do need a template, I use stiff cardboard if it's only a small amt. of pieces (as the edges of the cardboard don't hold up too long), or I do have some template plastic I've used occasionally. You could also use flat lids from plastic containers, and I think they'd be sturdier than the template plastic.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville