Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

Styling An Oval Cocktail Table....Tips and Suggestions?

9 years ago

If you google "styling oval cocktail tables" or coffee tables, you'll see loads of photos of tables with nothing--- or almost nothing---on them. I've looked at many pictures and have determined that round or small footprint/tall things look best.....big books look awkward and smaller ones look like you forgot to put them away. Most rectangles or squares look uncomfortable (for lack of a better term) perched on an oval surface.

Ever since our interior designer "relocated" the big pottery bowl that was the sole item on our library table to the lower level, I have been shopping my own house for items to use on the table, and I would love pictures, suggestions, tips, etc.

Table is pedestal base from Baker with an inlaid medallion at the center. It is very pretty on its own. Here it is with a large book so you can see the size. (Apologize for horrible iphone pictures, it was after floors but before rug came back from cleaners)

Rug restored, flowers from birthday bouquet from a friend in ceramic vase, silver Revere bowl with green enamel interior, and three varying height brass candlesticks with fat Root candles in green:

More, less, what?

This post was edited by kswl on Sat, Aug 30, 14 at 12:30

Comments (54)

• 9 years ago

I like the flowers too. Maybe in a rosebowl though? do you have one of those? I admit they are a weakness of mine :)

I am kind of nutty on symetrical too though and admit my first thought was an intersting low oval pottery piece - a large one. ( I think my brain is on vacation as I missed above that you relocated a pottery piece!)

This post was edited by boopadaboo on Sat, Aug 30, 14 at 13:11

• 9 years ago

Got an oval coffee table here in my one-and-only living room -- and looks just like yours!!! :)

Not a Baker ...... just a "Basic" oval mahogany coffee table .... LOL!! :) ...... just teasing! :)

Anyway -- find a darker oval tray (mine is dark-woven wicker with sides)-- and I filled my tray with two or three décor books (without their bookjackets) and a couple of VERY old brass match-holders and a small stack of coasters .... and (right now) an old brass dish/tray sitting right on top of the books ..... the whole thing is set off to one side of the table ....

Nothing tall because it would block the sight-line to the TV .....

The key to the whole game seems to be finding an oval "object" like a tray or bowl that echoes the shape and depth of color of the table .....

• 9 years ago

I have looked for a brass gallery tray without much success, the ones I have found don't feel very nice. Don't want a big one ---well, not big enough for books--- because I don't want to cover the medallion in the table. (Pedestal feet are brass, so I like that material for it.)

If I found the right tray I would not use the Revere bowl or flowers but I could probably use an orchid on the tray along with other items. I'll keep looking for that.

Teacats, could you post a photo of your table?

• 9 years ago

those candlesticks look as though they belong on a dining table or sideboard. To my eye, it looks too 'staged' because you really probably would never light those candles on a coffee table. Perhaps one pretty, chunky candle would look nice on a low crystal stand.

• 9 years ago

I think you can still use books, but you have to balance them with something of equal visual weight. So, two or three books on one end with a small object on top like a magnifying glass balanced with a tea chest and two smaller boxes on the other end. For flowers, use a low dense arrangement in your Revere bowl or a squat, glass square vase or use a tall, but spindly orchid. Place the bowl either on the books (remove the object) or sort of at the top of a very flat pyramid made of the books, boxes and flowers.

• 9 years ago

Good point--- I probably wouldn't light them and they are certainly staged, lol!

Found some great trays at Bliss:
    White ceramic and pewter:

iron and mirror:

antique brass:

supercool shagreen tray:

Adore this one but it is nickel:

Ok, the next ones not for me but in case mtnrdredux looks they are very Maine-y:

A wood and brass cheetah design that appeals to me for some reason!

Boop, thanks for that link.....you see most of those tables have nothing on them!

• 9 years ago

Fun, thanks for those suggestions! I actually have a magnifying glass---it is a large blue plastic one I bought at a toy store to read find print! I guess I could find a nicer one for the library :-) We have an antique Rolleiflex camera that belonged to a relative / photographer but I am afraid to leave it out for fear it will be mishandled, it is both valuable and sentimental.

I will look for some smaller books, and post pictures of what that looks like.

• 9 years ago

Here are three quick ideas I did with things from around the house. As I look at the pictures, I see I didn't do such a great job of spacing and aligning, but you can get the idea, I think. This happens to be a games table with a smaller top than your coffee table, so the items would look more graceful on your table. Hope this provides a little inspiration.
    {{!gwi}}

• 9 years ago

Thanks for those photos, Fun!! I like the first one best because it shows a lot of your game table top, but might also work on mine because I don't want to cover the center medallion.

I have found these interesting items online:

a nut dish with an acorn scoop! Wood and pewter:

{{!gwi}}

A 9.5" tall x 7" wide B'rer Rabbit sculpture in bronze (I loved these stories as a child and visited the Joel Chandler Harris house yearly):

I need to go shopping!

• 9 years ago

Alternative to a tray?

• 9 years ago

How about an oval lacquered tray with a glass vase filled with good quality hydrangeas or an orchid. A pretty box. Something whimsical that reflects your personality. Just throwing out some ideas.

• 9 years ago

And a fast, quickie photo from DH:

• 9 years ago

Thanks, teacats, the tables are very similar. Looking at your photo makes me want to find a round brass tray!

Oak ton, thank you for those suggestions, I like the idea of a lacquered tray very much.

• 9 years ago

I have a soft spot for old paper Mache trays, and think you might like the addition of a Florentine print or a mix of colors to correspond to the room, to tie the display to its beautiful surroundings. You can find oval or round trays inexpensively on eBay, Etsy or locally in antique shops. You can lay the magnifying glass on it with an old stamp roll holder, or use it as a base for a rose bowl, or the Revere bowl with potpourri. A stack of things might keep the look lighter, and less cluttered.

Here is a link that might be useful: vintage Paper Mache

• 9 years ago

Here is another example from Etsy, but it was sold.

• 9 years ago

I think the issue is the center medallion: if you want us to see it, then you can't put anything except coasters or something small on the table. Leave it empty unless you need to put it to functional use. Pretty table. I think it probably has to be something in the center, or nothing at all.

• 9 years ago

KSWL, I just have to know where you found that gorgeous antique brass tray and even more importantly the B'rer Rabbit sculpture, would you share please? I loved B'rer Rabbit as a child also.

If I were styling the table I would look for vintage B'rer Rabbit books in good condition, stack them, and place the sculpture on top. It would be a reflection of something you love.

I also think a beautiful sterling silver tray would look gorgeous but I know you want to stay with brass.

• 9 years ago

I agree with vedazu

• 9 years ago

Holly-Kay, I found it at an online shopping site called Bliss Home and Design, they have wonderful accessories! They also have large (7-9 inch) reproductions of the monopoly player tokens --- the iron, the shoe, the derby, the terrier, and something else I can't remember.

Vedazu, you may be right, I might should leave well enough alone unless I want one tall fabulous something in the middle of the table.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bliss---- look in accessories for Br'er Rabbit

• 9 years ago

Thanks KSWL!

• 9 years ago

Vedazu, I like that tray!

Shallow ceramic bowl and red leather Chinese box for dominoes:

Closer with the box open, it is lined with interesting fabric. Perhaps I could find dominoes to go in it.

Bowl:

I think I might order the brass gallery rail tray and Br'er Rabbit...good idea Holly.

• 9 years ago

Do you have a small piece of art glass or a small Oriental vase/pot? I am a fan of orchids, especially orchids in a low art glass dish. I like this orchid in the low bowl

[Contemporary Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2103) by San Diego Interior Designers & Decorators Alpha Design Group

Perhaps an orchid on one side, arching toward the middle, with the books and magnifying glass on the other side. Maybe a few crystal paperweights scattered on the table, too. Wish I had a photo. In my mind, it looks fantastic! ;-)

• 9 years ago

Lol, bbstx, we need the long distance Vulcan mind meld :-)

• 9 years ago

In lieu of the long-distance Vulcan mind meld, Ms. Spock, how about a couple of photos? Not exactly what I was talking about in the previous post, but I like this one by Amy Howard. She does 3 julep cups with nosegays in each. I know this table isn't much like yours, but I like the simplicity and symmetry of the 3 evenly spaced cups. And who doesn't like julep cups! You could move yours slightly above the equator to show the medallion.

Or if you can't find a magnifying glass, you could put a shoe on top of your books
    {{!gwi}}
    :-))))

• 9 years ago

Well, I don't have a shoe that looks exactly like that one, but I DO have three silver mint julep cups. I guess a picture may be worth more than a thousand words :-). Thanks, I will try that look

• 9 years ago

i LOVE your cocktail table. The wooden grains are marvellous. Keeping it shorn of any adornments would show off the beauty of the table.

• 9 years ago

I have a large magnifying glass atop a stack of books on my BR library (night) table which I found at Wal-Mart a few years ago. It's a nice one. Granted, it's not heirloom quality and it's not goldplated but I think it has a brass outer rim and a horn/bamboo looking handle.

• 9 years ago

Well, patricia43, just think of how stylish you could be if instead of a magnifying glass, you fling an old shoe up on top of your books!

I hope you all know I'm being very tongue in cheek. Who puts a shoe on top of their books? Who puts a shoe on top of anything other than the pile of other shoes on the floor of the closet? Do people buy shoes strictly for display? Have I missed another trend?

• 9 years ago

A pretty Phoebe Howard coffee table

Replace the roses with an orchid, and this is pretty much what I was envisioning in my 21:23 post yesterday.

• 9 years ago

Bbstx, I LOVE your sense of humor! But .....if I put an old shoe that was a replica of the monopoly player's piece I usually got stuck with in family games, would that make it any cooler, lol?

I guess I need to reassess why I am even giving brain space to the motion that I need to style a beautiful table. Is this the dreaded PROJECT END SYNDROME? If so I guess I need to step up my volunteering. At least I am not going to the extreme of moving, like Kevin! (JK Kevin, know your move is a spouse/house combo :-)

• 9 years ago

We had an oval cocktail table in the store for awhile and I loved it! Of course it's overdone (we're trying to sell things), but I think some taller things in the mix, and we love using glass paperweights, they're all over the shop!

• 9 years ago

Sallymo, I think your table looks great, even overfilled, and I think it is because you have only round shapes sitting on it. Agree completely about the need for something tall, that was the rationale behind the three tall candlesticks in the first picture. Unfortunately I can't really think of anything else tall except a hurricane globe with a candle or filled with something :-(

• 9 years ago

I think the Monopoly shoe on your cocktail table would be cool! especially because it has special significance for you.

Is this it?
    {{!gwi}}

• 9 years ago

Yes, that's it. But I always wanted the dog! I was just kidding about it earlier, itheyre actually just a little too big....almost creepy. Just looking for stuff leads one down some dark alleys, lol!

• 9 years ago

Darnit, now I want that Brer Rabbit...

• 9 years ago

I like the ceramic bowl and red leather box stacked on the books that you posted Saturday at 20:38. They look like they "belong" there. It looks great with the sofa, pillows, and rug.

The box is pretty open or closed.

• 9 years ago

Be careful, SueB, one rabbit is an accessory, two is a trend!

Thank you, Tuesday. I've been to the nursery and bought a pretty orchid in a clay pot, which I am going to try next with something else and will post a photo. I appreciate yours and others' willingness to look and weigh in :-)

• 9 years ago

So many ideas! I actually think you could use your Revere bowl, vase with flowers and something smaller and round like a beautiful crystal paperweight (lots of different ones available to suit any color or style you like) as a group of three offset from the center and then put one small item (or a small stack) away from that group.

Can't wait to see what you choose!

• 9 years ago

I think it should be a reflection of you/your family. Angle your books so the top edge is to your left and titles facing sofa. I don't think you need anything on top of them. Then count your medallion as another item and put a third on other side. It could be a fat pillar candle on a simple holder, a sculpture/decorative object, a mint julep cup filled with flowers, a plant, or a group of objects that read as one. If it's an item from your travels or an interesting family memento it can be a conversation starter, like your monopoly piece!

• 9 years ago

Okay, here are two shots of enameled Rever bowl, books, and orchid in clay pot.

This post was edited by kswl on Mon, Sep 1, 14 at 20:16

• 9 years ago

Love it! Do you have an Oriental cachepot to slip the orchid into so that it doesn't damage your books?

• 9 years ago

Yes i do, actually, and it is light yellow. I think the colors would be perfect for the orchid. Will find it in decorative accessories graveyard and post a photo!

• 9 years ago

I love that bowl. I like the orchid there, but I agree you should find a pot for it. Id also rather a white orchid.
    Pretty table and room.

PS I love those trays you posted, eps the ones you said were Maine-y!

• 9 years ago

Orchid in planter on books

No books:

Mtn, I love those revere bowls, I actually have three green enameled ones, the one shown, one more olive green and one a teal green. And I thought those trays would be fun for your pool next year....if you don't watch out you will have your own army of shoppers for that place :-)

• 9 years ago

I think you need the books on the table. Looks a little nekkid (spelling per Lewis Grizzard) without them. What about the books under the Revere bowl?

• 9 years ago

Revere bowl on books:

• 9 years ago

Perfection! IMHO.

• 9 years ago

Thanks, bb! (We still miss Lewis down here, I live about an hour away from his childhood home.)

• 9 years ago

Not to be a PITA but I like the Revere bowl by itself, but the orchid needs a smaller cachepot if it sits on the books imho