Houzz Logo Print
clairdo2_gw

how can i hide the plumbing?

16 years ago

{{!gwi}}

Comments (10)

• 16 years ago

Here's an idea.

Built a 3 sided box out of the same wanscotting and paint it the same color.

My mind is drawing blank on how to attach it considering there is little floor space and you would need to be able to acess the area.

Hummm, I would try velcro. staple it to the wall and to the edge of the box and it should work.

• 16 years ago

I would leave it the way it is. No one, or at least no normal polite person, is looking down there and so what, they find plumbing - oh my, what a surprise under a bathroom sink. It blends fairly well into the wall color and you want to leave it accessible incase you need to turn the water off in an emergency.

Sky

• 16 years ago

If you look in magazines and catalogues at pictures of pedestal sinks like yours, the plumbing is always visible. That's just the way it is.

One thing you could do, and maybe you've already done it (I can't tell from your photo), is to put in all new and shiny parts down there so they look pretty. But yours really doesn't look bad at all, and it is a normal view in that application, so don't worry about it!

• 16 years ago

"No one, or at least no normal polite person, is looking down there " hahaha that made me laugh.

If someone is looking at my plumbing, they are also seeing dog hair and god knows what else might have fallen on the floor. I am just happy when room is clean. (now you know a little more about me and my housekeeping than you needed to know)

• 16 years ago

That is normal for a pedestal sink. I wouldn't worry about it.

• 16 years ago

Trying to disguising the plumbing is the sort of thing that is likely to draw more attention to that area. We replaced the materials and hardware so they were shiny and new.

• 16 years ago

Thank you , you are agreeing with DH when you say any polite person would not look at it under there lol. guess it stays the way it is.

• 16 years ago

I had the same situation with the valve/hose coming from the back of the toilet.

Hated that it was the first shiny thing you saw when you walked into the bathroom.

In your case, it's a pedestal sink and seeing the plumbing is expected. Looks normal to me.

In my case, the POs moved the toilet so that it was the first and only thing you saw when the bathroom door was open, head-on.

I cleaned the knob/valve thingys really well with 409, rinsed, let dry.
    I used a very thin coat of primer, being careful not to goop it up in the coil part of the hose.

Then I put a really light coat of the wall paint on all of it--knob, water line, hose thingy, everything.
    When dry I put on a second coat of the wall color.

It's been a few years and I've wiped that whole area tons of times and the paint hasn't come off.

The water line and knob now blend into the wall and don't scream "look at meeee, I'm the toilet line!" when the bathroom door is open.

• 16 years ago

Exactly! Simply paint out the plumbing ..... but really I don't even notice those things when folks have a pedestal sink.

Jan

• 16 years ago

funkyart,

"If someone is looking at my plumbing, they are also seeing dog hair and god knows what else might have fallen on the floor. I am just happy when room is clean. (now you know a little more about me and my housekeeping than you needed to know)"

I literally LOL'd at your comment.
    As I was typing about painting the toilet guts I looked over to make sure the parts I painted were the parts I was describing in my response (whoever used the bathroom last left the door wide open and all that is seen is a long water line and knob from where I'm sitting) and sure 'nuff, dog and cat hair 'fluffs' in nice little piles and toilet paper 'dust' fairly thick, covering the toilet water line and knob.

I instantly thought to myself "Boy, if the people on the decor board with their beautifully decorated and immaculate homes could see this!"

LOL

Thanks for making me feel not as bad as I was feeling about my not so immaculate home. *s*