Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cynjrana14

Weather is ruining everything!!!

9 years ago

I live in NYC, and they weather here has been awful for plants! During the day it can reach up to the 70's (which is great!) and then at night it can dip down to 45 degrees... Dammit!!! So pissed, I feel it in my bones that this years vegetables yield is going to suck just like last years.

Comments (16)

• 9 years ago

Similar temp swings down here in Va too, the soil hasn't had much of a chance to warm up yet so I've had to hold off on planting some warm weather crops. Starting this weekend the long range predicts 80's here in the east for the next several days with 60F at night so that should kick start some things. Now watch it get too dang hot too dang fast!

• 9 years ago

Here it has been in the 50s-60s and 30s at night a lot...45 & 70...wow! We did have a few warm days earlier and it will get warmer soon.

• 9 years ago

It is the nature of spring weather every year. When we rush to plant out and try to push the limits we pay the price.

What you would have planted outside already in NYC unless under cover? Are you growing in ground or in containers? Have you checked your soil temps?

Dave

• 9 years ago

The cool down at nights aren't all bad. Here it's like that all summer. 80s and 90's during the day, 50's (and not uncommonly 40's) at night. The drastic temp swings make for more flavorful fruits and vegetables. It's one of the reasons why Olathe, CO is famous for it's "sweet sweet corn" ;)

It also makes it nice to be able to sleep with the window open instead of running a swamp cooler or AC all night because it's so darned hot (like when I lived in Missouri, Kentucky, and Hawaii).

• 9 years ago

Just north of NYC, 20 miles, (not my main garden in the mountains, z5a.)

I've got sweet peas coming up great and lots of salad sprouting...just putting in squash and a few pumpkins today in a mound...a very small 'city garden'. For insurance, i'll pock in a few more seeds next week if the weather gets screwy. Seeds are cheap.

Weather has been good for the early things. You may have planted too early?

Tomatoes and such, cold tender veg is still in start trays to not go out for another week or two.

If you are buying garden center plants...they always sell way too early in the season because people buy them way too early.

• 9 years ago

70-45 is great this time of the year. Plant cabbage, broccoli, chard, carrot, lettuce, arugula, parsnip, potatoes.

• 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Guys!!

Dave- I only planted spinach, red spinach, and asian daikon radishes only because they can withstand the cool weather and their doing really well.

I am going to plant in the ground and in pots but haven't planted anything yet except for what I have mentioned above.

Sleevendog- I havent planted anything that will be done for by the first and cool weather, only cool weather tolerant plants.

Im planting indian gourds, bitter melons, zucchini, squash, malabar spinach, along with tomatillos, tomatoes, eggplants and thai hots, and indian chili peppers. Ive grown every thing from seeds and Im lucky if i can get 4 out of 5 days to put them out in the sun.

• 9 years ago

I only have the cool season crops in the ground on Long Island - I never risk tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, squashes or melons until after Mother's Day. This year has been cool I am going to wait until closer to Memorial Day.

• 9 years ago

I m just going to plant after mothers day maybe a couple of days after that. i will be using this week to harden off the plants since it will great weather.

• 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The weather is about to change. 50s/70s+. Unseasonably warm. Yes we have had hot days cold nights and cold soil from a cold winter.

The weather has been very volatile here. Very hard to plan anything.

• 8 years ago

I'm in 6b, too. I was forced to plant my tomato plants--they were getting leggy. But rain, rain, rain--the weather continues to be volatile here I 6b. I am not hopeful. Peppers are still in their containers on the porch. So far, so good. Potatoes and spinach ok so far. Beets not doing anything--I think they're a lost cause.

• 8 years ago

The weather has been the coldest in years here in Northern California. Cloudier too. Its a disappointment. The weather was better in January-March (expect overnight).

• 8 years ago

The weather here too has been very cold. After a promising Feb-March, things were downhill. They are saying it will warm up mid next week.

• 8 years ago

Still in the 80s-90s in Arizona, which is quite cool for us and looks like it goes on for the next 10 days. It would be nice if we just had a more normalish year. Hope it improves for everyone.

• 8 years ago

Its been a cooler than normal Spring here; the lilacs (which usually bloom around Mothers Day) just got started, about 10 days late. We even had a hard freeze last week for much of the North, as was mentioned here in a recent thread.

That being said, don't despair. This thread started earlier in the month, when putting out warm-season crops for those in the North was risky (unless you are willing to protect them if necessary). My target date for planting warm-season vegetables tends to be around Memorial Day... the long-term forecast is for 70's (with thunderstorms), so the warm-up is arriving on schedule. I started planting yesterday; but I will be starting some beans indoors as backups, in case those in the ground get drowned out. Those bean transplants proved their worth last year, when torrential rains immediately following planting drowned out 1/2 of my direct-seeded beans (and most of my corn).

There really is no such thing as a "normal year" here, the weather is too temperamental. I try to plant early when weather permits, but only if I have extra plants or seeds in case of failure.

• 8 years ago

Yeah, the seasons here are so short and volatile... it is hard to grow anything tempermental about the weather without a bit of luck.