Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffjones361

Something is eating my hibiscus leaves!

9 years ago

Please help! I live in South Texas (Victoria) and something keeps eating my hibiscus leaves to the stem.. Only on the 6 bushes in my front flowerbed against the house. I have a patio hibiscus in a large pot 20ft from flowerbed that doesn't get messed with.. As well as a few plants in pots in the back yard. I do live in the country and have a few deer in the area, but have no sign of them in the flower beds or front yard. I will attempt to attach pics.

Comments (12)

• 9 years ago

• 9 years ago

As pictured, I tried seven dust.. Didn't work. The bushes will get full and pretty and then within 2-3 days they get raped of almost every leaf. Haven't found any grasshoppers on them, even looked at night a few times.. No culprit found.

• 8 years ago

someone else was having issues with deer...

• 8 years ago

I'm pretty confident it's not deer though.

• 8 years ago

GRASSHOPPERS LUV HIBISCUS LEAVES... I'VE CAUGHT A FEW MUNCHING ON MINE... SRY I DON'T KNOW ANY SOLUTIONS FOR GRASSHOPPERS... A NET SHOULD WORK BUT THEN U REALLY WOULDN'T SEE THE PLANT...HOPEFULLY SOMEONE WILL HAVE AN ANSWER...

• 8 years ago

It does look like caterpillars to me as well, but it's been going on for 3yrs and I work shift work day/nights. I check it often.. morning, night, evening when it's being molested. I'll give another look. Right now plant is regrowing leaves and is not being tampered with. Would seven dust not kill caterpillars and grasshoppers? Thanks

• 8 years ago

I FOUND THESE GUYS ON A HALF EATEN LEAF... NOT SURE WHAT HE IS BUT I'VE FOUND MORE SINCE... WONDERING IF IT'S A JAPANESE BETTLE CAUSE IVE READ THEY LOVE HIBISCUS TOO... AND UR NOT ALONE JEFF... I'M OUT THERE @ 3AM W/ FLASHLIGHT... BOWL OF SOAPY WATER N A LONG RULER ( TO KNOCK BUGS IN SOAPY WATER...LOL... OH YEAH THE WORST PART BESDES EATEN LEAVES SOMETHING IS BORING INTO FLOWER BUDS N LEAVING THIS

BEHIND !!!...

• 8 years ago

AHH HAA... FINALLY CAUGHT THE CULPRITS THAT WERE EATING MY TROPICAL HIBISCUS... I NEVER WOULD HAVE BELIEVED IT IF I HADN'T SEEN WITH MY OWN EYES !!! IT'S THE DAMN NEIGHBORHOOD SQUIRRELS !!!... I'VE DUSTED THEM W/ CAYENNE PEPPER WHICH HAS WORKED SO FAR... NOW IF U CAN BE ONLY ID BUG THAT'S DESROYING MY HAEDT HIBISCUS FLOWERS N SEEDS :( ...

NITETIME... LET ME USE THE FLASH...

• 8 years ago

Haha.. Squirrels?? Nice! I'm just now getting leaves back good so I'll have to keep a better eye out. It's gotta be caterpillars.

• 4 years ago

I see no signs of leaves on the ground or lacy eaten leaves! Just cut off at the limb. Happened over night!

• last year

Im having the same problem plants begin to flourish then overnight the leaves are eaten to the stem Gonna try the pepper I think its iguanas or squirrels