Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
my3dogsii

FREE Craiglist mirror find - before and after

It may not look like much, but this was the ad on my CL last Tuesday 9/15. It's about 36" x 27" and very heavy. I took it apart and on the back of the 1/4" mirror glass is stamped 'Signet Mirror, April 13. 1970'. It's over 45 years old!

I wanted to try a faux tortoise shell finish on it, and it was my first try, so no one will mistake it for that, but once I get more fall decor up around it, I think it'll look OK. The cute little $10.50 lamp next to it arrived from eBay last week, so I set it there to illuminate the mirror detail for the pic.

Comments (40)

• 8 years ago

Beautiful job, looks great!

• 8 years ago

Beauty indeed!

• 8 years ago

very nice

• 8 years ago

I think you did a very good job on the mirror, and that lamp is so cute, win, win all around!

• 8 years ago

Great find, and lovely transformation! You're so talented!

• 8 years ago

It looks wonderful, M3Ds! A very professional job. Big congrats!

• 8 years ago

I am very impressed! Looks fantastic!

• 8 years ago

That looks terrific!!!

• 8 years ago

Good God woman you are amazing!

• 8 years ago

love the finish, you did good. Have never hear of TS finish, very attractive

• 8 years ago

That's an utterly amazing transformation!!! What is the frame made of? Please share your technique.

• 8 years ago

Terrific!

• 8 years ago

Holy Cow! The mirror and you are amazing! I'm not a CL fan (and rarely open CL threads), nor would I have the talent to pull that off (or even think about it <lol>). Kuddos to you and your CL find :)

• 8 years ago

It looks like it was always meant to be tortoiseshell. and finally is. Well done! Nice lamp, too :)

• 8 years ago

"I wanted to try a faux tortoise shell finish on it, and it was my first
    try, so no one will mistake it for that, but once I get more fall decor
    up around it, I think it'll look OK."

Nah..... no way.

• 8 years ago

Seriously, it's stunning!

• 8 years ago

Stunning! I had to read your post again as I thought surely she painted it white and the brown metallic was the original.

• 8 years ago

Impressive!

• 8 years ago

The original looks like the mirror I had over my dresser growing up, and it had belonged to my mom when she was growing up as well!

Your faux finish is lovely!

• 8 years ago

I always enjoy seeing your transformations and great finds. You have a lot of patience and ingenuity!

• 8 years ago

I think you are ready to quit your day job and go into this as a full time business! That mirror is really, really lovely.

• 8 years ago

Fabulous! What a great find and really impressive job on the refinishing.

And nice seeing the heron print in the reflection ;)

• 8 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! Your projects are truly an inspiration. Love this piece!

• 8 years ago

WOW! I think you did an excellent job. I love it!

• 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

It looks great. Isn't it fun to see tired things take on a new lilfe. Enjoy it!

• 8 years ago

Gorgeous! You always outdo yourself My3d.

• 8 years ago

What wonderful comments to see on this 37 degree Maine morning! melle_sacto, THAT is wild that it looks like the one you and your mother had! I thought it was a recent piece that had fallen out of favor and some stickers applied, and just needed a good cleaning. I did that before painting, but when I had to take it apart to fix that white line reflection, I saw that it was very well made.

I have sent Astrid, the woman I got it from the finished pics, and will have to ask her what she knows about it. I think SHE likes CL, too, as she mentioned 'unfinished projects' in her garage. It's interesting that Astrid lives in the town that I did growing up, and one of the stickers on the mirror when I got it was from the high school in the city that I now live in! Oh, my upper LR walls are BM Philadelphia Cream, not that bright yellow that they appear to be in the pics above!

• 8 years ago

So pretty!

• 8 years ago

"On Monday, February 03, 1958, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for
    SIGNET by CAROLINA MIRROR CORPORATION, NORTH WILKESBORO.
    The USPTO has given the SIGNET trademark serial number of 72045117.
    The current federal status of this trademark filing is EXPIRED."

http://www.carolinamirror.com/

• 8 years ago

NSM - Thanks SO much!!!! I love knowing the history of my vintage finds. This will be printed and taped to the back of the mirror, so in the future, people will know where the name comes from.

• 8 years ago

If you go to their website, they have a newsletter with some family/company history. Be patient. Sometimes it doesn't load.

Company blog
    http://www.carolinamirror.com/thelookingglass.html

Newsletters

http://www.carolinamirror.com/gardnerglass/html/newsletter/PastNewsletterArchive.html

• 8 years ago

Thanks again! The blog's latest entry is 1/8/09, and I see a list of of dates for newsletter, the latest being Dec. 2014. I looked at that one and saw the cutest Christmas Santa Hat brownies idea! You never know what you'll find doing research.

Ingredients:

- 1 pan of your favorite brownies
    - 12 to 16 small strawberries, washed & hulled
    - 1 container Cool-Whip

Directions:

Bake brownies according to
    directions. Once they've cooled, cut brownies into small circles. Pipe a
    small amount of Cool-Whip onto the top of each brownie. Cut the base of
    each strawberry so it's flat and then place it upside down on each
    brownie. Pipe a small dot of Cool-Whip on the tip of the strawberry
    & you've got some cute and delicious Santa hats!

• 8 years ago
  • 8 years ago

You're a wonderful researcher, NSM! I'm an old fashioned more traditional 'girl', and I think I like the older products better than the new ones.

• 8 years ago

Great job with the mirror -- it's beautiful.

• 8 years ago

You have the knack for finding what works - and for great prices. I'm envious.

• 8 years ago

Wow,

• 8 years ago

Holy heck that's amazing! Great job!

• 8 years ago
    You are such an inspiration, M3Ds!