Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

Do these porch lights look "nautical" or "beachy"

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'm trying not to be too literal with the fixture, but still find that feel. I'm not completely set on these, but I do like them. 1800 Lighting

Comments (30)

• 8 years ago

I like the top one. If you're looking for onion lamps, definitely look at Sandwich Lantern. They make the real thing, great onion lamps.

http://www.sandwichlantern.com

• 8 years ago

I appreciate the answer and the link! Cool looking lighting :)

• 8 years ago

They're all over Cape Cod, as you can imagine, including on my house!

• 8 years ago

I think they do. Really like the first one a lot. It almost has a Craftsman influence as well.

• 8 years ago

Thanks jen! That's sort of the thing I am pondering, is it enough rustic/beach, not too much something else? But I guess one foot in Craftsman is good.

• 8 years ago

The first one feels Asian to me. Maybe it's an Asian Craftsman!

• 8 years ago

Love the first one. Just different and unique enough and I think it would be fine for a beach house.

rob333 (zone 7b) thanked OutsidePlaying
  • 8 years ago

I too love the first one.

• 8 years ago

I like the first one. A little tired of the second one, which I think we have someplace.

• 8 years ago

No the first one does not say beachy to me at all. The second light does say nautical though. I prefer the second light.

• 8 years ago

I looked at the link just now.

The Maxim Lighting Santa Barbara 3138 is a asian outdoor hanging lantern available in and Sienna finish.The asian style is sure to complement any entry.

Ha!

• 8 years ago

I have decided that I associate beach with Asian because of California? Yea, that's it. (I lived on the Coast and there is a huge Asian population, whom I LOVE, especially Pan-Asian food (or is it Asian fusion?) that comes from the fusion of US west coast and Asian cultures). I think I like the first one best, but feel obligated to lean more towards the onion fixture? Guess I'll wait till the right one comes along.

• 8 years ago

Are you on a lake?

I found this one on the Lamps Plus Open Box website. The glass is pretty in full screen. They also have the flush mount of the Asian one.

http://www.lampsplusopenbox.com/6r632.htm

rob333 (zone 7b) thanked User
  • 8 years ago

I do live on a lake. That's a good one!

• rob333 (zone 7b) thanked User
  • 8 years ago

This place has some very nice outdoor lighting.

Love these:

rob333 (zone 7b) thanked User
  • 8 years ago

Those are great, but I need pendant. I really like the last one. So many good choices.

• 8 years ago

Like this one. Hybrid of traditional and contemporary, simple, elegant, and I bet it looks amazing when on at night

Same place. that's actually screen mesh. Kinda cool and different.

• 8 years ago

I love this maritime light, it does come in pendant as well as wall mount.

Maritime 1-Light Outdoor Pendant In Hazelnut Bronze And Clear Seeded Glass · More Info

• 8 years ago

I like the ones being posted, but they may be too literal? I kinda want to steer away from that. I think?

That screen one is really cool.

• 8 years ago

I really love the first one posted. Slightly Asian but there's more to it than that.

• 8 years ago

I like all these posted. My personal favorite is the onion light. We installed these on our primary home (purchased from Sandwich lighting!) when we built 18 years ago, and they look brand new. I still love them. I wanted them for our lake house, too, but went went with something different from Barnlight Electric I thought was reminiscent of the 30s. (I always buy American, when I can). I didn't get the pendant like below, but used these in porcelain next to the doors on either side of the house. I love these, too.

Seaside pendant

• 8 years ago

I like the first one. It seems a little industrial, a little Asian, a little antique seafaring :-) but nothing too overdone.

• 8 years ago

You know Japan is an island and has tons of beach stuff, Plus is pretty wet over the interior in a lot of places, so practically all of Japan is "beachy!" Asian says beachy to me!

• 8 years ago

I had a terrifying snorkeling experience off the coast of Okinawa, so yes - beachy is also what I think of whenever I think of Japan! ;-)

• 8 years ago

I would think snorkeling off Okinawa would be like snorkeling off the Hawai'ian coast. Highly rocky since they're volcanic islands? And turbulent water. I know I like it nice and calm, like you get in the Caribbean. Regardless if it was that or not ((((auntjen))))

• 8 years ago

Someone used the word seafaring and that's what the top one reminds me of. How windy does it get where you are? Is there any worry about the pendant lights swaying in the wind or will they be somewhat sheltered?

• 8 years ago

I don't think of "nautical" or "beachy" in relation to lake houses. I think more rustic and woodsy.

• 8 years ago

It's not too bad wind wise, and it's a covered porch. Should be ok? I hope so!

Yea, that's why I am trying to walk a fine line here. I like the combo of beachy rustic, but I do not want to plant too firmly in the beach area. More woodsy.