Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peters939

Need advice from Bluestar bakers regarding oven baking capabilities

8 years ago

Hi, all. My DF oven broke. I'm considering a Bluestar because of all the raves on here about the range top. I and DH use the stove top and oven all the time. I've only had sealed burners, but am persuaded to get open burners now. Do you think I'll notice a lack of quality in my baking (I do a huge amount of all types of things from breads to scones to quiches to cookies) if I end up with a Bluestar? I'm considering the 30" RCS or RNB. I'm limited to that size because I'm not redoing my kitchen. Many thanks!

Comments (4)

• 8 years ago

I haven't noticed a difference in my baking. I was a cake decorator for years and used an electric oven. I've baked cakes in the gas oven and they've been fine. I've baked breads and rolls (scratch), roasts and other things. I don't do quiche. Everything has been fine. Having said that, I do have the electric wall oven that I now use for breads and pizzas, so the gas oven isn't used as often.

Foo Dlover thanked Debbi Branka
  • 8 years ago

Thank you, Debbi, for your response. That encourages me.

• 8 years ago

You can bake with both but there are some differences between gas and electric. The differences might be more or less depending on your recipes and what you are baking. Gas ovens need more ventilation due to combustion. The combustion does put out moisture but this is vented out quickly along with more heat into your kitchen. This is more of a drying environment to what you are baking. Electric ovens hold onto more of the moisture from what you are cooking so are more moist. The moisture is beneficial when you want to promote starch gelatinization, at the beginning of the bake cycle and gives a little longer rise and a different texture to the crust especially for bread. This is why you spray water into the oven during the first part of baking some breads. The moistness can also benefit cakes or anything that needs to rise by giving that little extra time. If you read the bread baking forums there are all kinds of work around for this in a gas oven one of which is using a cloche when baking bread to hold onto the moisture. The dryness of a gas oven is good for the second half of baking to encourage browning. This is also why gas ovens are great for roasting. I have baked in both off and on for years. This difference in cakes may be much less for something like a cake mix but more for something with a lot of sugar in it. Some people turn on the convection fan after the cake has risen to encourage browning. If you have an electric oven now with convection and use it to bake cakes, you might not notice any difference from gas.

One very nice thing about the BS is that you can use a full sized commercial tray.

Some of the other differences in BS and your oven you have now, might depend on the features you have in that oven.

• 8 years ago

Thanks for your helpful comments, wekick.

The BS width is very appealing. I do have a cloche. So convection should only be used after things have risen? Should the temperature be reduced then or left the same?