Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
novusdesigns

What Colour???

11 years ago
When it comes to my clients, I have no trouble nailing down wall colours. When it comes to my own home I have lots of ideas, but they change day to day...lol This being said, I was curious to hear others thoughts and options?

Comments (18)

• 11 years ago
    On my screen they appear to have red or terracota brown grenn and peach with some light blue????
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Try a sample of paint on the walls that matches your carpeting, just a hair darker. Pull the single Chippendale chair into the seating area. place a small table or stool next to it. Change out the coffee table if you can to a round. maybe wodd with a stone top. Fill the wall between the corner and the bookcase with the small pictures you have on the other wall. Rehang the painting on that wall. Loose the pillows and replace with one or two the same color as the carpet and then punctuate with the red from your highback chair. If you would like to have a feature wall, then select a fresh color and apply it to the wall which has your high back chair now.
  • 11 years ago
    I would paint all the walls a peachy deep terracotta and the wall in the fourth picture I would wrap that in a med chocolate brown. I would be carefull with all the different frames you have they are somewhat not cohesive and also slightly declutter the bookcase and with all that add some bling...... good luck
  • PRO
    11 years ago
  • 11 years ago
    I know how you feel! I change colour pallette ideas like I change my socks!
    I think your room could use some editing first. I feel like there are quite a few things going on that I am having trouble resting my eye on any one thing.
    The last picture that shows a wall of your LR and a wall of your DR feels scattered to me and there are too many furniture pieces on the LR wall side. I would love to see all of your smaller pictures gathered together on one wall 'salon wall' style. Over the couch, I would like to see one big, heavy piece of art or maybe even a large mirror. I really love the neutral colour of your wall in the first picture with the sectional and I could picture a strong blue colour maybe as accent pieces, or as a feature wall colour maybe in the dining room. I'm thinking something along the lines as the blue of the frame next to your drapery panel. I think the blue would really go well with the orangey/redish bloom in the colour of your drapes. I find that your table lamps need to be larger to have more presence in the room.
  • 11 years ago
    Nicole, your room is really lovely warm and inviting. It's hard for me to find much to critique but if you really want some suggestions I recommend removing the bright floral pillow from the sectional and replacing the small painting in the white frame with something that harmonizes with the others in the group. I think there are too many groups of little artwork going on in general.... Maybe replace either the group in the dining area or the group over the chair and bench with one or two large pieces of art in order to eliminate some of the "busy" feel. I know what you mean about how hard it is to decorate your own house... It's always good to get a fresh viewpoint! I've got some rooms I should post if I get up the nerve!!!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Thank you ALL so much for the great suggestions, they have been very helpful. The one thing I have noticed people having the most trouble with in the space is the amount and placement of art. As a collector of orignal art I find it hard not to have them all on display. Your comments and suggestions have been helpful in this area, thanks. @Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design, I am all over your round coffee table suggestion.....love it! Not sure why I didn't see it, totally makes sense, thank you.
  • 11 years ago
    My aunt owned an art gallery in Paris and often debuted new artists' work in her home by having friends and clients in for cocktails.. It was a wonderful space! Ceilings were at 15' and she had a electrified rail, much like a chair rail mounted high on the walls with art lamps at various locations along it. The walls were grey silk and the drapes were canary yellow silk. A stunning gallery in her living room! Since you collect, you might want to treat your space to a unifying color and let the art speak for your sensibility. Don't hang it all, but change it out with every season, lighting the pieces and leaving room for each one to be appreciated separately.
  • 11 years ago
    Nicole, I like the taupe wall fine, but find the green a bit mossy. Love the drapery. If you like the drama, keep it! With your cherry woods (gorgeous!) and red accents, I like green but would head more coordinating with the taupe - like http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW0029-acanthus/
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Oh Nicole, you have the drapes I was going to put in my nursery to help transition it from being my son's to my baby girl's; sadly she was not to be of this world. They're lovely, sort of William Morris.

You have a wonderful art collection. Curious, is your magpie a Schadler? I'm a fan.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Dear Barnhart Gallery, firstly, I am so so sorry to hear of your loss.........In regards to your question about the magpie, I am uncertain if it is a Schadler. Below I have listed a link to the artists work. You may find more information on there.

This is one of my favorites from him:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=529622497082727&set=a.529622253749418.123065.183436895034624&type=3&theater

Here is the link to his webpage, if you click on each one of the paintings you will find a magpie is almost every one. He does wonderful work.
    http://douglaswilliamson.com/section/281904_Urban_Theology.html
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Dear Barnhart Gallery, firstly, I am so so sorry to hear of your loss.........In regards to your question about the magpie, I am uncertain if it is a Schadler. The artist name is Douglas Williamson.....the series is called " Urban Theology" . You may find more information on there :) If you click on each image there is a magpie in almost every one of them.....enjoy.
    http://douglaswilliamson.com/section/281904_Urban_Theology.html
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    barnhart, feeling your pain. Lost my granddaughter three months into the world. Still hurts.
  • 11 years ago
    Taupe walls are very pretty and that room looks very nice. Might need a bit more color to spice it up. I do not like the drapes at all. Way too much stuff and artwork on those few walls and the green walls are a bit too dreary. Way way too much artwork. It needs some light colors or something as it seems quite dreary...sorry.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    So sorry to hear that Ironwood. So sad.

Nicole thanks for the link.
  • 11 years ago
    Sorry for your losses. Yes white frame does not fit as well as the pillow. Can't the artwork all be in same size and style frames and create symmetry with for example three across and down to create one large square.
  • 11 years ago
    Sable Calm- Valspar-5002-2c