Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yosemite1234

Do you love your touchless kitchen faucet?

8 years ago

We are at the faucet selection stage and I'd love to hear others experiences with their kitchen faucets

We would like a touches or light touch faucet and am curious to see how others experience with these has been. A past search reported good experiences for the Moen motion sense technology. I love the ladylux faucet but the Grohe reviews on faucet direct seem so so (for touches faucets)

Any advice would be great!

Also are there any touches soap dispensers you recommend? We will be getting 2 (dish and hand) and should be interesting to have a touchless faucet with the manual soap dispenser:)

Comments (17)

• 8 years ago

Yes! We've had the Kohler Sensate at our main sink for a month or so and, now that the touch mechanism is adjusted so it doesn't drip, I LOVE it. They finally put the faucet in the smaller sink a few days ago and I'm wondering if I made a mistake not getting that touchless too.

yosemite1234 thanked AvatarWalt
  • 8 years ago

I love my Tapmaster.

yosemite1234 thanked Fori
  • 8 years ago

We initially thought about a tapmaster (friends have it and also love it) but DH for some reason did not want to consider that -may be worth revisting. For touchless, It looks like Motionsense seems to get the best reviews in past posts. Great to hear about the Kohler as well- will look into that.

• 8 years ago

I did not get a touchless faucet for kitchen or bathrooms, because of my experience of them. The hospital I worked at installed them and they were always having issues, stopped working, leaking, dripping, etc. Made me know I wanted nothing to do with the touchless faucets.

• 8 years ago

I love our touch faucet. We put in a Delta H2O Pilar. I haven't had any problems and we've had it for about 2 years.

• PRO
    8 years ago

I swear I'm not making this up, but I just got a lead for a lady looking for someone experienced with Sloan touchless faucets because apparently her sensor isn't working.

• 8 years ago

I'm very happy with my Kohler Sensate. Using it about 7 months now.

• 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Things that make you go hmmmm....butit's from hospitals

Hands-Free Faucets Can Harbor Nasty Germs

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/04/21/handsfree-faucets-can-harbor-nasty-germs.aspx#!

• 8 years ago

I wonder if the inside parts of hospital faucets are plastic instead of brass, plastic may be more hospitable for bacteria. Copper is more bacteria resistant, esp with water heaters in most houses set to 120 - too low to prevent some bugs. Look about 1/2 way down, on plastic vs copper supply.

http://legionella.org/faqs/engineers/

I looked into touchless faucets and concluded that there are too many issues for me at this point - I agree that water and electronics don't play well together. I would much prefer to have a washer with knobs than the electronic stuff on my Miele.

If you forge ahead, don't forget the faucet needs a power supply of some sort to work - either battery or electric. Changing batteries under a sink might be a hassle.

• 8 years ago

I have had a Moen Arbor Motionsense for 4 years (I think it is 4 years I got it the year they came out). I love it!!

For me the only problem is the handle has come a bit loose and I was given some replacement parts (free fix for known issue) but it is loose again. I think I read somewhere that was a problem with the early ones and maybe I can even get it replaced. I need to call them again. The other problem is when I catch myself at another sink use the laundry sink holding my hands under the faucet waiting for the water to come on!

Visitors someitmes are gotten unexpectedly by the lower sensor. It can be easily shut off. But I have learned to work around it - if I'm scrubbing a pot I turn the faucet to the side a little when I don't want water do it doesn't get me. My father does the dishes whenever he visits and has been gotten a few times. I got wet myself a few times in the beginning,,

I am planning a new kitchen now and plan to put in 2 similar faucets as I will have a prep sink too and will definitely want the sensor there (perfect for hand washing, and washing single pieces of produce under running water, rinsing a spoon or other kitchen tool). If I had to pick a place for the sensor faucet I think I'd go with prep. It is so handy for the hands in process, rinse tools etc. although I also use it for a quick splash before loading the dishwasher. But prep is key as you want to be safe food handling then and the hands free faucet is perfect for that. But I'd strongly suggest two so you don't wait,for the other to turn on! You a get trained for it fast.

I had some interest in the Kohler Sensate due to my handle coming loose issue with the Moen. But I can reuse this one and just buy one if I stay with it. Plus I think I'd miss the lower faucet sensor. That is the one I almost always use versus the wave the hand over the top (which is I believe how the Kohler works as the only sensor). Yes some people get wet by mistake with the lower sensor but it is just so logical for hand washing, washing an apple etc...

• 8 years ago

A quick clarification, kfpwvt--the Sensate's sensor is on the bottom side of the arch, so you have to wave your hand under the neck, not over the top. I love the feature, and using the non-touchless faucet at the other sink now seems downright barbaric!

• 8 years ago

I too have the Moen Motionsense and love it. In fact, we will be putting it our vacation home. I looked at other touch-less faucets, and decided on the Moen again. One of the things I like is that the faucet does not have to be "on" you can easily move between using the faucet and the motion detector. The Motionsense has two "eyes" - one on top of the faucet and one closer to the handle. I was inadvertently turning the faucet on when I had the eye closer to the handle working. I've programmed it to only sense the upper "eye" and now I'm much happier.

• 7 years ago

I missed that there was more activity here. I wanted to clarify as mnnie said the Moen motionsense has two sensors. The bottom one turns on while you are in its range and off when you are not -- think washing hands, washing a piece of fruit. The sensor is pretty much where you would naturally hold your hands to wash them -- maybe a touch higher than my old habits. Turns on when you are in its sight and off when you remove your hands/fruit/etc. On the Moen the upper sensor is a wave to turn on wave to turn off (so more of a touchless on/off while the lower is auto sensor). I think the upper one is more like the Kohler except the Kohler it is under the neck of the faucet -- the Kohler location does seem a lot more natural but to me a downside of the Kohler is it lacks the auto on sensor, which is what I primarily use), but it is also the cause of the problems with mistakenly getting wet (or giving up and turning that one off - it is optional). But, once I got used to it it the auto on sensor is by far my favorite -- I very rarely use the wave on/off. I love the Moen except for the loose handle issue. They are sending me another part a new handle this time.... But I do wonder if Kohler is a higher quality build (all my other faucets in the house are Kohler).

I also believe they differ in how they handle temperature. I know with the Moen you set the temperature for the motion sensor water -- I set mine slightly warmer than cold. Mixed thoughts here as for hand washing I would want a warmer temp and for rinsing fruit etc colder. If my hands are really dirty (raw meat/chicken) I double wash first with the sensor then turn it hotter manually (so at least my hands are pretty clean when I tough the lever) for a bit more.... I believe I remember reading that the Kohler comes on at the temp you last had it at.

• 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I don't know. I've managed to turn my faucets on without a sensor for the past 60 years with no problems. When I'm working with raw foods, I almost always only use one hand to touch the food, so I turn the faucet on with my clean hand. If I know I'm doing something where both hands will get dirty, I pull off a paper towel before starting and use the paper towel to turn on the faucet.

We had a motion sense soap dispenser. The dang thing never worked or it worked after we moved our hand or pot away so there was always soap dripping down into the sink.

I'll stick with the old fashioned, luddite way.

• 7 years ago
    Love my delta pilar touch-less kitchen faucet. I have had it since 2009. It is battery operated. A plumber can install. It requires a slight light touch. (The newer models I have seen advertised are more advanced and will turn on without the touch through the sensor). But it is nice if my hands are messy or germy I can touch with my forearm and the sink will turn on right away. I am used to it and it is second nature. I don't think I can go back to a non touch-less faucet.
  • 7 years ago

Another Delta Touch lover here! Had it about 5 years, no problems at all. I think we've changed the batteries (AA) in the pack under the sink only three times. It's great to be able to turn on the faucet with your forearm or the back of your hand when your hands are goopy. No more drippy handles and puddles of water around the faucet.