Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbie1000

Sealing around shower faceplate/escutcheon?

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We had mold around our shower faceplate, underneath the clear silicon which was put on completely around the faceplate. Plus it was put on very heavy/sloppy. We are having some work done on our shower so I get a "second chance" with this since the faceplate is currently off and we cannot use the shower.

I removed all of the silicon that was on the faceplate and on the porcelain tile (PIA) and also the mold. When the faceplate is put back on (it is a Hans Grohe if that matters) should the silicon not be put on at the bottom? This happens to be an oval faceplate. I have read some things about not putting it all the way around, I presume to let it "breathe" so that it can dry out and mold is less likely to grow.

I even read the Hans Grohe instructions and it does not mention putting silicone there. But I am not sure if that is supposed to be a "given."

I also read that the faceplate is only for show, not for waterproofing and that it should not have any silicon around it. Ours actually has velcro to attach it.

Thanks!

Comments (2)