Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosoccermom

Advice on gray/greige wall color. I see purple/pink!

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I was all set to paint a tiny west-facing room SW Agreeable Gray, but in certain lights it seemed to turn be pinkish/purplish (???) . Doesn't seem to make sense as it's on the more yellow/orange end, still, I think that's what I see.

Anyway, I'm now thinking BM Balboa Mist, but that, too, seems a little purple. I have Gray Owl, so could try that, but really wanted a more greige.

To make matters worse, room is currently painted a fairly bright yellow with turquoise ceiling. (I painted over the gold stars a while ago).

Advice? I am eager to paint without too much sampling. Of course, I could always go with BM Capitol White :)

I want light, bright, warm, preferably not too bluish. Also willing to ditch the rug.

Comments (15)

• 7 years ago

sounds like the current color is tinting or contaminating the new color.

I think I'd use Kilz or something similar to cover the bright paint.

edited to add:

Heck, I forgot what forum I was reading!

Post on the Paint Forum; lots of very knowledgeable people over there.

nosoccermom thanked sylviatexas1
  • 7 years ago

Gray can easily turn purple depending on light. At my oldest son's wedding Mother of Bride was wearing a gray gown with dyed gray heels (shoes were the white dye-able kind). Inside the church the shoes were the gray of her dress; outside for formal photos they were purple!

nosoccermom thanked pandtkendall
  • 7 years ago

Maybe take a look at SW Accessible Beige--It is a lovely greige, and I haven't seen it go "wrong" yet :)

nosoccermom thanked highdesertowl
  • 7 years ago

"Also willing to ditch the rug." Oh wow. Maybe ditch it my way! Would love to see a full picture. And yes, the painting forum is good advise.

nosoccermom thanked sumac
  • PRO
    7 years ago

Go to the paint store and ask to see the formula for the paint. Often gray paint has a touch of maroon in it to keep it from reading "green". You may be able to get a test without the maroon and see if you like that better.

nosoccermom thanked Anglophilia
  • 7 years ago

Balboa Mist will have a purple undertone... I wouldn't even bother with it, if you're detecting that already.

I'm afraid you're going to have to do some sampling because grays are just too unpredictable.

nosoccermom thanked User
  • 7 years ago

This Video 50 shades of gray (paint colors) looks like it could be helpful. She recommends starting with Stonington Gray as the most neutral, or true gray, and comparing the other grays to that to see which way they might lean.

nosoccermom thanked laughablemoments
  • 7 years ago

I don't really want a pure gray but rather a greige. I have Stonington Gray and Gray Owl from another room, and it's too gray for my taste. Edgecombe Gray reads a bit greenish, something I really want to avoid.

To complicate matters, this morning, both Agreeable Gray and Balboa Mist look good.Does anybody know which one of the two leans more towards the red/orange/purple side?

(As far as the rug, I only meant "ditching" it from one room to the next, sorry)

• 7 years ago

I can't help you with your current colors but as mentioned above, accessible beige is really a nice greige. In my house it didn't have obvious undertones and it was crisp and not muddy.

nosoccermom thanked deegw
  • 7 years ago

RELAX - pigments dry at different rates and then the paint may appear dry but it can take days for it to settle down and for the nuances of the color to be apparent. Also your eyes need to adjust. Give it a week and then decide.

nosoccermom thanked Debbie Downer
  • 7 years ago

we love BM edgecomb grey at 75%. it is more of a greige, with warm tones. I felt at 100% it was slightly too dark for us (but it depends on your lighting too).

another color we love is a kelly moore called Bone. it is a very light greyish warm white that goes well with swiss coffee also.

nosoccermom thanked michoumonster
  • 7 years ago

Definitely try Accessible Beige. We have it throughout our home and love it. It's a true greige (at least in our lighting) that shifts hue slightly at various times of day, and each little nuanced change is lovely.

nosoccermom thanked User
  • 7 years ago

Will the ceiling remain turquoise? I think that is definitely influencing how you see the colors.

nosoccermom thanked localeater
  • 7 years ago

No, I am thinking either white or a very, very light blue ceiling (or maybe Healing Aloe). I have looked at Accessible Beige and that is too beige. Edgecombe Grey seems greenish.

SW Sedate Gray may work, but I think I really need to go over at least some of the walls and ceiling with primer.