Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
netposse

Decorating a room without painting paneling

6 years ago

We are pulling up carpet and putting down vinyl plank flooring. Our debate is if we want to paint the paneling. Answer is no. We know the room will look better if we do but we are in our 60's and 70's and we don't want to keep painting the paneling every few years. Our paneling color is pecan. Have any ideas on how we can decorate the room to brighten it up without painting?

Comments (6)

• 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Can you post a picture of the room? The obvious suggestions are more lighting in the room and light colored rugs, furniture and window treatments. It can be tricky because a dark room can make light colors look dingy.

You could embrace the dark and decorate with jewel tones.

Make sure your paneling is very clean and polished. It will help brighten the room too.

• 6 years ago

If you think you would like the paneling painted, if you explore some quality paint brands and types within those brands, you may never have to paint it again. I have rooms in my home that haven't been painted in 20 years and they still look good. Granted, I'm not hard on the rooms, I don't cook with much grease, nor do I have dogs or kids that put their hands on those walls, but if you are low impact (as I imagine many others in their 60's and 70's are), you likely won't have to paint again.

• 6 years ago

Wewere about your age when we painted our paneling...first it was white for about five years and then we painted it soft yellow and has been perfect for at least 10 years. Brightened the room so much. Just be sure you get a good paint.....we painted our paneling whith Kiltz and then the paint over that. Grandchildren have touched it...played here and it still looks good. Just wash the little hand prints off now and then.

• 6 years ago

If the only reason you're against painting is fears about upkeep, FWIW, my parents painted some of the paneling in their home back in the 80s & it still looks like new - not flat finish, a satin finish & scrubbable antique white.

• 6 years ago

What kind of paneling do you have? It is solid wood or the the thinner version? If you like the paneling (and against the current trend, I love beautiful wood paneling), then please don't consider painting it. If you don't care for it, go with painting. I painted paneling in my first house and it was very durable; didn't even need to touch it up when I sold. Ultimately, be sure that you do what makes you happy and gives you the feeling that you've "been hugged" when you walk into the room.