Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eddy4444

Wife and I at Odds...Help Please!

6 years ago

Please see photo of our small ensuite bathroom.

My wife feels that the "right" (as you enter) wall needs "something" to make it nicer.

I feel that we should just leave it alone as there is "enough going" on in the room already.

Your thoughts

please.

Comments (32)

• 6 years ago

What ever that is above the tub, I would lose and put the pic. on the left above the tub. IMO

eddy4444 thanked aputernut
  • 6 years ago

A little hard to judge in isolation -- there must be a shower somewhere, as well as towel bars, etc. any way you could turn the camera more right and take another shot? I'd probably want something on that wall too, or to put a more substantial piece over the tub and then the light iron business on the right instead. Would simplify by storing towels somewhere other than on the edge of the tub. But more context would help.

eddy4444 thanked acm
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I see what you were going for with the square three-dimensional piece above the tub.

Just for the heck of it, can you switch the blue picture with it and take another photo and post it?

It might be lovely there....

eddy4444 thanked User
  • 6 years ago

I think you need something with more presence as you face the tub. I'd move the picture over the tub (remove the metal sculpture altogether) and leave both sides blank.

• 6 years ago

What does your wife want ? An art piece, storage cabinet? Yes, a better picture of the "right" wall would help.

eddy4444 thanked joaniepoanie
  • PRO
    6 years ago

I don't feel like the blues are the right color of blue with that yellowish stone.

eddy4444 thanked Presidio Tile & Stone
  • 6 years ago

Without seeing the rest of the room which may put a different spin on it...my first thought is some sort of Polynesian art/painting. Maybe something kind of Paul Gauguin or guin-ish with a bamboo frame. Or, a palate knife painting of a boat or beach/water.

eddy4444 thanked just_terrilynn
  • 6 years ago

I love yellow and blue and white or off-white together. The colors are very good, IMO.

Agree that the picture needs to be over the tub for balance of the bright blue. Most of the blue is to the left and makes everything appear to be out-of-balance. Just that changing will make a huge difference.

And from the picture above, I agree that there is enough going on in the room - really too much.

eddy4444 thanked WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
  • 6 years ago

If it were my room I would be tempted to paint it a deeper warm grey tone to compliment the stone.

eddy4444 thanked katrina_ellen
  • 6 years ago

I like the sculpture just fine, but agree that the pic might look better in that center spot above the tub. Try it and see what you think. Then, if there is room, maybe the sculpture above the toilet area. Or another place in the bathroom. I think adding anything more will be even more too much.

eddy4444 thanked Olychick
  • 6 years ago

Eddy, My thoughts are to say 'uh huh,' and do what your wife wants. :)

My guy always does what I want!

Groveraxel, your Bassett pooch cracks me up. LOL!

• 6 years ago

Lose the weird metal thing over the tub. I was going to suggest some shelves like in groveraxle's picture, but maybe not so substantial or fully packed. Perhaps a glass shelf? I do think a basset hound is a nice touch.

At any rate, nothing to the left or right but something pretty on the back wall.

• 6 years ago

Not a fan of the metal thing over the tub. I would also like to see what the painting looks like there.

• 6 years ago

I would remove all of the accessories and items on wall. With your tile, you could head towards a natural, relaxed and calm look per picture below and add a long floating shelf for your candles, soaps, orchid, a print, etc

• 6 years ago

Remove metal thing. Hang picture on center wall. The end.

• PRO
    6 years ago

no metal thing. change paint color, do wood shelf or two like grover pictured. you could put more orchids or other greenery on them

• 6 years ago

I'm not sure wall decor is necessary. I would soften the paint contrast and find a less energizing shade of blue.

• 6 years ago

I agree with the others about the wall color and the towels. I think the tiles need warmer colors in the room. I agree about putting something larger above the center wall of the tub. Again with warmer colors.

• 6 years ago

Check out mackenzie-childs.com for accent pieces.

• 6 years ago

I agree with moving picture to center wall... or adding shelves to that back wall instead, as per Grover.

Personally, I'm looking for the grab bar... (LOL).

• 6 years ago

I would leave it the way it is right now, but with the caveat that you and your wife might eventually find something perfect that you both like for the empty wall space. You will know it when you see it.

• 6 years ago

I'd be happy with some towel racks!

• 6 years ago

grover, the dog is awesome! :)

Unless you are an artist, architect or designer, I'd leave the decorating to your wife. I don't mean to sound sexist, but in my family, the motto is, "The one who cares the most, wins." And in hanging art or finding wall color, the one who cares the most in my family, is me.

• 6 years ago

Lose that metal thing (although in person perhaps it much nicer than it's coming across in a photo) , move photo to that wall and i love the towel rack Maureen posted with nice basket of towels.

• 6 years ago

I would change the wall color like examples above. No shelves unless you are young and can do a standing straddle of the surrounding tub deck, then, keep your balance and at the same time holding a cleaner in one hand and wiping with the other...clean shelves and decor.

I would do art there. Maybe a bamboo frame the color of tile. Or, a BLACK or dark brown frame.

If you do shelving maybe add something to climb for cleaning.

• 6 years ago

I love the suggestions Grover made with the shelves and the paint color! The dark shelves bring out the edging on the tile and make the tile and tub the focal point. Of course, then I might look for different art that is a little softer to replace the blue pic. One thing always leads to another. I agree that something on the other wall would probably be too much but I don't think the metal wall décor in this spot is the best option.

• 6 years ago

Yeah, maybe shorter shelves and darker towels. That bright blue is discordant.

• 6 years ago

In my bathrooms, shelves would be tremendous dust collectors. Hair, talcum powder, even toilet tissue has a way of creating a fuzzy film, so would never have them.

• 6 years ago

That dog is cracking me up lol.

• PRO
    6 years ago

Interesting tub surround..I think you need more than a picture or one paint color to make it work…I’d do a wallpaper with the background close to the yellow of the surround.

The paper is Candace Olsen for York Wallcoverings.

• 6 years ago
    Luv Daisy's shower cap, she looks awesome in fuchsia Grover. Will def. have to get one for Roxie
Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH