Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_378353

Hello! I could use some decorating tips! Thanks!

Master Bedroom

Comments (44)

• PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Get wall art above the bed and dresser. Get proper size rug.

• 6 years ago

Would you be interested in something like this above your bed?

• 6 years ago
    I was thinking a round gold mirror above the bed? And possibly this rug?
  • 6 years ago

I think I'd move the chair out. I would suggest you find some art you like -- like three prints that are framed with a colored mat -- you need another color in this room -- that are vertically larger and will fit between the two nightstands. This will fill the space behind the bed and add to the bed as the focal point of the room. I would also use lamps that are tall and slender. New bedding or pillow shams with the same color in the framed prints would tie the room together. Lastly, I would hand a mirror horizontally over the dresser.

• 6 years ago

Get rid of the large black chair. It's the wrong size and makes no sense in that location. Get larger, more substantial lamps. Move the bedside tables a little bit away from the bed. Follow the advice about the rug size. What does the window look like?

• 6 years ago
    Lol! I would LOVE to move the recliner out, but it’s my husbands... Uggg I never wanted it on there.
  • 6 years ago

This may be one of those battles that is worth fighting in a marriage. If he wants to lay down, tell him to use the bed. Unless he has a severe back injury and just wants to be close to you, he has no excuse. He doesn't get two places to sleep in the bedroom.

• 6 years ago
    Windows. My pics don’t look great. Sorry!
  • 6 years ago

Bad news. Those curtains need to go to the floor and the rod needs to be hung above the window and outside the trim.

• 6 years ago

The headboard is short for the wall. I'd put something substantial above it. I don't think a round mirror would work. You want something that will be kind of like an extension of the headboard. Courtney G's idea is cool, but a large piece of art (or several pieces) would work too. Matching mirrors could work over the nightstands if you moved the chair elsewhere.

I can't figure out where things are located in your room based on the pictures. Do you have two of that dresser or did you move it? An overhead floorplan would help.

Could you move the bed over and bit so the chair has some room?

You do need some color in the room. This could be brought in through artwork, a new rug, new throw pillows or blankets.

• 6 years ago
    It’s our new home. We just built it, and I’m stumped! Yes 2 of the same dressers.
  • 6 years ago
    Some more pics
  • 6 years ago

Ah. Now it makes more sense :) Could the chair go in the corner where the mirror is? Maybe the TV could be repositioned on the small wall with the second dresser. Then you could watch from bed or the chair.

• 6 years ago

I think the tv should be in the den or family room...thus the chair removal.

• 6 years ago

Chair needs to move. Lamps need to be taller. You need something over the bed. The TV wall looks a little pathetic. Consider putting both dressers side by side and hanging the TV over them. If you are watching TV from bed, invest in some bolsters that put you at the proper angle to see it from there.

• 6 years ago

This is a large room. Don't fill it with dinky stuff. No small art or tiny lamps. Think big.

And no to a mirror over the bed. Think about it: what possible use could a mirror over the headboard be except to crash down on you in the middle of the night and send you to the emergency room?

• 6 years ago
    Lol! I thought this looked cool.
  • 6 years ago

If this is your inspiration picture, your side tables are too small. Can you see how the scale of the bed is smaller and the tables and lamps much bigger?. Your side tables are too small in scale as are your lamps. In the inspiration picture, the pictures on each side of the bed need to be hung much higher on the wall.

That circular mirror over the bed is the wrong shape. I'd get rid of it completely if you hang big pictures on each side above the lamps. Mirrors over the bed are dangerous. They can fall and break. Your friends will wonder about your marital habits with that mirror over the bed. They won't say anything but, they will wonder. Hmmm....

Nowhere in your inspiration picture do I see a large black leather recliner.

• 6 years ago
    thanks Grover!
  • 6 years ago

Another scheme:

• 6 years ago
    Not bad! Actually I thought about getting them lamps for my living room to match my blue chairs?
  • 6 years ago

Yes to grover's first mockup, and hang your tv on the wall to the left of the bed. Hang a floating shelf under it for boxes and wires.

Put one tall boy on each of the closet walls with beautiful art above each.

Put a long dresser where the tv console was and add a mirror above it. Or just give in to the inevitable and add a recliner for yourself ;)

• 6 years ago

Love the dressers!

• 6 years ago

Many people watch TV in bed. If that is your world then hang the TV on the wall. That brown chair does not go alongside the bed--in any world. Larger/taller bed side lamps are a must if reading is an option. I would want carpet under my feet as I get out of bed..so a very large area rug is in order. Remove the plant stand esque tables. They don't appear to serve a purpose. With the TV up and maybe one of the dressers under it you would have room for a reading nook using the brown chair and maybe one of those tables with a lamp--but a shorter table would be preferred. I am not a fan of the curtain mock up shown it looks like they missed the window or don't know how to hem. Your curtains are fine for a bedroom and the white of the window trim refers back to the white night stands, but I think I would consider painting the stands, dark like the stand alone mirror just for continuity--or vise versa I suppose. I too vote for something LARGE and in charge over the bed. If you are reading/TV watching in bed then it will have to be hung so your heads don't hit it.

• 6 years ago

I don't know why your husband wants the recliner in the bedroom (but I bet you do). Does he go in there to watch TV sometimes? If you and/or he also sometimes watch from the bed, then that is probably the only place for the chair. I would probably move the bed and tables to the left to make the chair look less crowded, but then I look for balance and don't have to have symmetry.

In my little world, living with another human means making compromises and if my husband wanted a squishy, comfortable recliner in the bedroom because it makes him happy, I would do it in a New York minute.

• 6 years ago
    Yes you are correct. It’s our home, and we are supposed to be comfortable here. The chair does not bother me that bad. It a modern gray leather electric recliner. Not a big deal.
  • 6 years ago

I agree with you Heather. That is not a perfect place for the chair, but it's fine.

I love Groveraxle's posts. They always makes me smile.

• 6 years ago
    I know I enjoy him!
  • 6 years ago

Groveraxle has terrific photoshopping skills as do several others (celerygirl comes to mind and I know there are others that I can't think of in the moment). IIRC, Grover was her pup's name, but I'm not sure about "axle". I don't know how they successfully get rugs under furniture or art to show correctly on a side wall. I suspect something to do with "masking". I am envious.

• 6 years ago
    I know it cracks me up!! The dog!
  • 6 years ago

I love Grover's first mock up, especially with the muted colors and that lovely rug. (And the dog, of course...)

I like her use of the 3 pieces of art over the bed in the second mock up, but it's missing something (the dog? Well, maybe, but I'm just not crazy about the second rug...)

I don't live in earthquake country, but I could NEVER hang anything heavy over my bed. That's why I prefer the three pieces idea. I've seen things fall and break that were supposedly up properly, and I'd prefer one of the broken things not be my head.

• 6 years ago

Note, I agree with dragonwings42. Having a home is about function, first. Move the bed over a bit, and you can both watch TV comfortably -- beds are a bit less comfortable to sit up in, IMHO. (Although I don't watch much TV and I don't have one in my master, but I understand the impulse.)

• 6 years ago

A platform bed shouldn’t be used with box springs. It makes the mattress too tall and hides the headboard. If you need the box springs for physical reasons, then you need to plan on buying a much larger scale bed for the large scale room.

Even if the box springs were jettisoned, and the headboard were visible, the bed is still to small in scale for the large room. It could be a temporary fix to create a large curtain panel in fabric behind the bed, to scale down the wall and create the appearance of the bed in an “alcove”.

Scale and proportion are the two most important principles to internalize. It’s what most people get wrong, no matter the size of the room. Large furniture in a petite room is just as bad, except you then don’t have room to walk.

• 6 years ago

Sophie, if she's keeping the recliner (function over form), the bed is sized correctly.

As for tall mattresses -- depends on how tall the OP and her husband are, and their ergonomic needs. Ask me on that one! (Although I admit my mattress is not over box springs and the bed frame is tall to deal with my bed height preferences, and it came with a bed headboard a couple feet over my head when sleeping.)

• 6 years ago
    So! I repainted my room light gray, adding some art to the walls, moved some items....not done yet, but here’s some of what’s going on......
  • 6 years ago

I'd look for a large stretched canvas art piece in colors you love for over your bed

• 6 years ago

OK, we need some serious tweaking here. Looks like you moved the recliner beyond the foot of the bed. That should work better.

The rug looks nice and plush, and is utterly useless where you have it. I suggest you get another exactly like it and put one on each side of the bed to catch your tootsies when you get up.

Why two lamps on each nightstand? Were you thinking two small ones would equal one large one? You need a bigger lamp on each side. This is a big BIG room. You cannot do small stuff here. Better to leave blank space than to have bitty stuff. Which brings me to the stuff hanging on the walls...

Better a totally blank wall than a small piece hanging in the middle of a vast expanse. The art over the chest will probably work if you lower it a bit. I suggest you gather every framed piece and wall hanging you own and look at creating a galley wall of some kind on the wall with the TV. (You can get very inexpensive digital downloads on etsy.com, and frames from Ikea or Target, and make your own gallery wall.)

• 6 years ago
    The rug is definitely going. I’m getting this. And the lamps I am switching out. I’m using the black and gold, and getting large black round mirror above the bed. And the tv stand I’m selling. The art above it is 55 inches from the floor. What I found on Pinterest. And I am doing a gallery wall here...left of the bed. Also putting s gold floor lamp beside the chair. It’s coming together slowly and I love it now!!
  • 6 years ago

Don't think about filling space so much as about functional groupings. Here I added a slipper chair next to the dressers so you could put on your socks. I grouped the art along with the TV to make a balanced arrangement.

Keep in mind scale. The vase and lamp are too small there, disappear against the wall, and serve no real purpose anyway, so I removed them. Perhaps a floor lamp off to the left of the dressers would be useful. But not some skinny-minnie thing; make it a tripod lamp that occupies a good bit of real estate.

• 6 years ago
    To the right is the doorway. So the chair won’t work there. But we are getting there... ❤️
  • 6 years ago

Clear your nightstand; there's no room for your water or your book or your internet device. Hang those frames on the wall along with other stuff. Larger lamps. Rug where it will get some use. Art grouped for impact.

• 6 years ago

Instead of having the tv bridge the gap between the dressers I would center it on one and hang art or a mirror above the other. A darker coloured lamp and a small tray or dish to collect pocket stuff could go on the other too.

• 6 years ago
    Cute!
Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022