Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amanda_pierson

How to add interest to living room wall with fireplace?

5 years ago

Hi all! Below is a picture of a home that is very similar to our floor plan. I'm in the build phase and trying to figure out how to add interest to the wall that runs above the fireplace/cabinets. The builder did shiplap above the fireplace in this recent home (that the picture is of) and suggested running the shiplap along that whole wall and painting it to match the color of the walls rather than trim. I love the idea, but I'm worried shiplap is going to be a trend and I'll be regretting it in 5-10 years. What do you all think? Any advice on things I could do instead to customize and add interest?

Thank you!

Comments (26)

• 5 years ago
    Classic moldings say a statement
  • 5 years ago

Forgo the shiplap if you are worried about living with it in 5-10 yrs. If you LOVE shiplap and you don't care when it goes out of style than do what you love.

If you decide to forgo it and are going the molding route below the mantle, then just drywall above it. You can add interest by putting a painting, large mirror or something decorative on the wall that can easily be changed out as your taste changes.

Are you also asking about the wall above the cabinets? Where is your TV going?

And while you go through this process, keep in mind that builders aren't interior designers and they get hung up on an idea and then they are suggesting it to all their clients so each of their houses start to look like each other. Start going through houzz and start putting together Ideabooks with ideas that you like and can incorporate into your new house that makes it individualized and your home.

• 5 years ago
    Trend or not , you like it , do it !
  • 5 years ago
    If you plan on hanging pictures shiplap is harder to repair holes on than is dry wall.
  • 5 years ago

Awesome, thanks! What is everyone's thought on doing transom windows here?

• 5 years ago

Exactly where?

• 5 years ago

Above the door and window next to the door?

• 5 years ago

Is there a reason the windows on the fireplace wall are pushed out to the corners? I'd be inclined to make them larger and center them over the built ins. Then they become the interest on the wall.

• 5 years ago

I agree! I am trying to either push them in or put sconces up to make something of that space. Also considering dropping the cabinets down and doing bench seating there-- I'll post a picture of how that looks under construction in a different project our builder is currently working on.

• 5 years ago
    Here is the dropped cabinet w bigger windows (under construction and not complete yet)
  • 5 years ago

I wouldn't do a dark mantel shelf like that. It gives a thin line that's totally out of proportion to the fireplace. It should be painted the same as the rest of the fireplace and wall.

A P thanked groveraxle
  • 5 years ago

A P, since you have no ideabooks, it's impossible to even guess what style you're going for. Why don't you search on Houzz for photos of fireplaces with shiplap to help you decide?

• 5 years ago

I do have an idea book, not sure why it's not showing up for you to see!

• PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Mantle should have had double height.

A P thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I know houzz is having problems on their app but don't know if no Ideabook showing up is one of the problems. On the laptop AP Ideabook is showing up.

• 5 years ago

Love the bigger windows with the seats (good to hide games, etc.) and I love my transom windows.

• 5 years ago
    Really like the larger windows and window seats!
  • 5 years ago

Aha, when I mouse over A P's name, it says 0 ideabooks, but when I click on it, the ideabook is there. Another little Houzz-y glitch, I guess.

• 5 years ago

Grover- what is your device that this is happening on? Have you run into this on any other threads? There is a thread that a few of us (anyone is welcome to) report any issues that occur with the up-dates that houzz has been doing since Dec. Emily from Houzz checks in on this thread and reports them to the tech team. I'll report this on that thread, if that is ok with you.

• 5 years ago

Sure tedbixby. I am always on my computer unless it's in the shop. Occasionally on my phone. I wasn't aware that there was a "glitch" thread. Do you have a link? I'll bookmark it.

• 5 years ago

[https://www.houzz.com/discussions/another-houzz-update-dsvw-vd~5033309[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/another-houzz-update-dsvw-vd~5033309)

The majority of the issues seem to be happening mostly on the phone and once in awhile the ipad.

• 5 years ago

Would have wanted the mantel and surround to be the same wood as the doors.

Would not have painted the brick.

You could add shelving on each side of the chimney between the chimney and each window, perhaps with glass doors enabling you to display family treasures without having them frequently in need of being dusted.

You might consider adding dark paneling (same wood as your door) above the mantel the full width of the chimney and finding an interesting fireplace screen.

I see no hearth; Is it a gas fireplace?

http://maneiro.club/gas-fireplace-cover-draft/gas-fireplace-cover-draft-fireplace-covers-gas-fireplace-covers-stylish-custom-fireplace-screens-with-single-doors-gas-fireplace-covers-for-home-interior-figurines-value/

• 5 years ago

I believe someone asked where you'll be placing a t.v.

• 5 years ago
    We are going to try to go without the tv at first but I think we will ultimately cave and put it over the fireplace!
  • 5 years ago

Even though I like the dropped cabinets with the windows over them, if that means the t.v. ends up over the fireplace, I would go in the other direction with the more built in looking cabinets. Then you have a place to put the t.v. to either side of the fireplace. Please consider leaving the fireplace available for artwork and accessories. Think about how beautiful the mantel will look decorated at the holidays. You can't do that with a t.v. over it. JMHO