Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffrey_brauner

91 inch wall for bath, wall, and vanity

2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

Gut renovating this bathroom. It has a 91 inch wall that I need to fit an alcove tub, a wall for the shower plumbing, and a vanity. What size would you choose for the bath and vanity? I was originally thinking a 48 inch tub with a 36 inch vanity, but now am leaning more towards a 54 and a 30. Existing room below.

Comments (29)

• 2 months ago

Each plumbing fixture requires 30” of clearance at the front, in order to be able to use it. Post a measured layout of the whole bath, indicating where the plumbing is located. Because your description does not sound like there is rnough room for a full bath.

• 2 months ago

• 2 months ago

That is a preliminary layout with the 48 inch tub and 36 inch vanity.

• 2 months ago

Entrance door is on the right, closet door is at bottom, toilet is off bottom left

• 2 months ago

I would make the vanity 42” and the shower 42”. The vanity looks too skimpy to me.

• 2 months ago

Sorry the shower should be a bath (not rendered here).

• PRO
    2 months ago

A tub/ shower is what you need and a 54" tub is useless post a to scale plan of the whole room show window where the toilet is the entry doorway every wall and every measurement clearly marked . That is how you get help here Do the plan on graph paper post here in jpeg format in a comment DO NOT start another post

• PRO
    2 months ago

If you can post a plan that is drawin to scale that will go a long way toward letting posters help you out.

• PRO
    2 months ago

Do NOT go down the rabbit hole of useless and obscure sized tubs. Keep the whole thing a nice shower instead. A nice shower is way more desirable than a bad tub.

• PRO
    2 months ago

I'm assuming there may be a child involved, as the op stated it was a TUB ,....and not a shower that was the plan.

• PRO
    2 months ago

totally agree with Minardi. Maybe just change show doors only to framless tempered glass door. take out the old shower doors. Cost effective.

• PRO
    2 months ago

Folks? Read his comments? /Scroll the entire thread?

Jeffrey said.......

"Sorry the shower should be a bath (not rendered here)."

This rendering was SUPPOSED to show a tub. It's a fail at his dimensions, but it was never "just a shower/no tub"

• 2 months ago

Okay, here we go. I have included three different layouts here. One shows the existing layout: which includes a 36 inch shower and a 36 inch vanity, with a wall that includes plumbing in-between (and some empty space). The other two are proposed alternative layouts that include a bathtub, which we need to have as we have two young children.

It is not the largest space but it is the only one that will work to include a bathtub.

I appreciate the feedback and hope these diagrams are useful. Thank you!

• PRO
    2 months ago

You need to PLEASE clarify your intent for the space. If you need a tub for a child? You need an alcove tub, 30 or 32 x 60/ You do not have space for two bathing elements in this bath.

A child can shower by age three or four. But your insistence on a 48 inch tub will render the long term tub use, pretty darn useless. A 32 x 60 will allow two kids in the tub, together.

• 2 months ago

based on another comment here is the layout with a 60" tub and 24" vanity

• PRO
    2 months ago

As above, which is what I keep trying to tell you. It is........what it is: ) UNLESS you eliminate the closet, or add the closet to this space, and you would need to show those dimensions.

Jeffrey B thanked JAN MOYER
  • 2 months ago

thank you!

• PRO
    2 months ago

You can't get what you want here, unless the plumbing can go into the wall to the left, which would have it, if it could. A shower is what fits, and is what is economical to keep. You have to have 30" of unobstructed space for fixture clearance, for each plumbing fixture, so no 24" vanities, unless they are 6" away from the wall. .

• 2 months ago

Go with a shower and have a shower head and hand held wand. You hose the kids down!

• 2 months ago

Can you make an L-shaped vanity area under the window (floating to allow for radiator) and then where the toilet is continue the vanity top, but add storage? Not sure if budget for plumbing. That would move the toilet to current vanity area.

• PRO
    2 months ago

Honestly? How long will this be useful ? Even if it is only for two kids, and it matters not 24 or 30" vanity, it's a bath for one. A couple with no need to share bath and grooming time. A guest.

Show all the areas around as I did above.

Get off the computer. Not every window, door size w/casing.... show the BEYOND what you are showing. Closet , hallway. bedrooms etc. give it context, and you may get more help. or more possibilities. Every foot an inch of everything.

• 2 months ago

Are you on slab or not? Here’s a picture to illustrate my earlier comment. Tub/ shower as JAN shows above is 60” which would leave 30” for vanity or in this case, toilet. Vanity countertop would extend under window and where toilet is for new sink.

• 2 months ago

Or save a bunch of money and do as JAN has it. You could prob get storage above the toilet or something of the sort.

• 2 months ago

I believe our bathroom is 90" long. I wish we could have done a small walk-in shower but we had a window and toilet placement making it impossible. We had to do tub/shower combo.

We looked long and hard at 54" tubs but 1.) The majority of them are crap because they are made for mobile homes, 2.) We taped out 54" in our other tub/shower combo and tried to use it as a 54"er for a few days and it was so uncomfortable feeling. Remember the sides of a tub have some kind of slope so the floor is even smaller.

Yes, we would have loved a 32" vanity that could have come with 54" tub, but a 54" tub just felt like a big mistake. In the end I'm really glad we chose a standard 60x30.

I have a radiator where your towel rack is and couldn't even put a vanity there and had to go with a console. If you can fit a floating vanity with drawers, you can get some good storage.

Before - Unsafe with no wall to hold on to as you step in, and original 66” tub

After - 60” tub and plumbing wall added

Real estate listing for another unit in my building with 60” tub and semi glass wall. Possible that shower head and handles are on long wall as is common in there prewar baths. They removed the heater by the sink to accommodate at full vanity with drawers.

• 2 months ago

If your linen ? closet is about 30 inches wide, perhaps, you could put a vanity there and put the storage next to the tub.

• 2 months ago

How deep and wide is your closet?

• 2 months ago

I would highly suggest adding the additional information that Jan has requested. You’d be surprised re: solutions that can be found if everyone is able to see the adjoining spaces.

For example, many times, doors can be moved - opening up space to move the vanity to a different wall.

Sometimes ”borrowing” a little space from another adjoining space makes a HUGE difference in how a bathroom will function for a family!

It seems like there is quite a bit of wasted space as the room is currently configured. While open space is nice in a large bathroom, it’s simply wasted in a smaller one (especially when it will be used by adults + children).

While it may seem like a pain to add the adjoining spaces (with dimensions) - it is definitely worth the time!

When I first started reading posts on Houzz about 3 1/2 years ago, I remember reading a post by someone who had a small half bathroom attached to her master bedroom - and wanted a full bathroom.

I thought there was no possible way for it to be accomplished - but I had no idea how much talent there was on this site! The OP wound up with a well functioning (small) full bath.

If you’re going to spend $$ to gut this bathroom, you really owe it to yourself (and your family) to make it the best functioning bathroom possible (obviously, subject to your budget).

After all the time/mess/headaches associated with recently renovating two of my full bathrooms, while I’d like to do the other full bathroom upstairs, I am now trying to figure out if a simple refresh will work 😂

• 2 months ago

Are you really wanting to turn a 25K cosmetic redo into a 45K extensive reworking? When that works just fine for both kids and adults, if you just add an adjustable slide bar?