Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennypat_gw

DIY countertop ideas

Hello

I will be needing to replace the counter-top on my island soon. I am on a tight budget so I need some creative ideas.

My house is an old farmhouse with a lot of wood already so I would really like to avoid wood, BUT will go there if I need too! I do a lot of canning, cutting and chopping, the island is used daily so I need something durable that either won't show scratches, or that would develop a patina with with use.

No granite, or stone materials, as they are to contemporary and don't fit my budget.

I have looked and looked and nothing is jumping out at me as "THE" solution!

Thanks!

Comments (20)

• 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

There are many fun laminate patterns available as inexpensive sheets for diy.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/kitchen/countertops/installing-laminate-countertops/

Other people have used Soapstone, either precut slabs or Tiles - unlike granite it has a high talc (soft) content, and can be cut with woodworking tools.

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22434

ETA: DIY Zinc countertops can look very retro.
    https://www.thisoldhouse.com/how-to/how-to-build-zinc-tabletop

Good luck with your reno!

jennypat Zone 3b NW MN thanked THOR, Son of ODIN
  • 4 years ago

How big is your island? Is it painted or stained and what colour? Pictures would help if you can post them.

jennypat Zone 3b NW MN thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • 4 years ago

We did epoxy resin counters in our kitchen. They're matte black and came from an old water quality lab. Plus they were free :). Some were shinier (newer-looking) than others, so we sanded them all with coarse-grit paper to get a fairly uniform patina.

If that sounds like something you'd consider, watch your local classified ads and keep your ear to the ground for local labs or classrooms that are being renovated.

And to clarify, these are solid-surface epoxy resin counters, about 1-1/4" thick (not the DIY coating that is sold as epoxy counter treatment).

jennypat Zone 3b NW MN thanked salex
  • 4 years ago

Can we see a picture?

jennypat Zone 3b NW MN thanked User
  • 4 years ago

Would look into having someone local fabricate a metal that you can slip over the top of your existing counters. Large format ceramic tile might also be a good diy option

jennypat Zone 3b NW MN thanked Susan Murin
  • 4 years ago

OK here is my project, I just finished refurbishing this vintage stove, the spot in the kitchen where it will go is too small. The electric stove will be going away, and the plan is to take the cabinet to the right of the current stove and install it next to the existing cabinet under the island. But because of the curves on the current island top I will need a new counter top. Yes I "could" go with Formica again, but my budget is really small, and I would like something fun!

I already have a replacement cabinet that will fit and can be moved to the empty spot to the right of the stove.

The upper cabinets will also be moved, the one over the current stove will be replaced with just a shelf and a bigger range hood, the one to the right will be removed, and I think I will find a smaller one to put back in it's place. I suspect I will need to find an unfinished cabinet and stain it to match. I will NOT be painting the cabinets!! Yes I know it is the trend, but I don't have the time, budget or agreeable hubby!

THEN I need to also figure out what color to repaint the walls!! The room the stove is sitting in now is my dining room next to the kitchen.

• 4 years ago

Well, I'm so jealous of your stove that I may have to stomp away and never speak to you again! :)

However...Do you have a final size guestimate? Not sure if the addition of the cabinet changes the size...

• 4 years ago

pennydesign, I LOVE my stove! I have been working on it for 18 months, it has been torn apart 95% and every piece has been cleaned, sanded, repainted, refurbished if needed, and then put back together. I can't call it a total restoration, but it's darn close!

The minimum size the for the new island top is 25" by 40", I can go bigger but not smaller. Right now it is 36" x 41" but the rounded corners reduce the width by 3" on each side so the two cabinets won't fit underneath.

• 4 years ago

You did a fantastic job! So amazing..

Okay a couple of ideas not knowing your budget..

I know that formica has been mentioned, but I would go with a vintage pattern, such as this one:

Also here's a website and the specific link for retro style laminates and the metal edges...

https://retrorenovation.com/category/kitchen/countertops/

Here's Wilsonarts retro line:

https://www.wilsonart.com/laminate/virtual-design-library/retro

I've installed formica and it's not fun. So this all depends on your ability (of which I have no doubt) or the ability of your loved ones or whoever you can buy beer for) At the very least, you can find someone who's done it and price it out.

You can also buy a vintage table and just use the top...the prices vary so much on these, but we picked up my daughters bright yellow one for 150. Check ebay and your local craigslist.

This one is 25 x 40 and is porcelain (which you might prefer)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ART-DECO-PORCELAIN-ENAMEL-RED-WHITE-KITCHEN-TABLE-W-PULL-OUT-LEAVES/362702086275?hash=item5472baa083:g:O9IAAOSwqpBdLhyM

If none of those do it for you, I'll think on it some more...

• 4 years ago

Also...Eye Candy

• 4 years ago

OH I love the idea of using an old porcelain table top....darn it I had one years ago and gave it away. I am off to see what I can find......well I better get my work done first.....I will have to check out some of the local antique shops and thrift stores. Thank you!

• 4 years ago

Love your stove! you did a great job.
    I know you said no laminate, but one of the retro vintage wilsonarts like field daisy that picks up the yellow could be cute. Ikea butcher block would be practical, but you do have a lot of wood.
    Or, scout out a used stainless prep table, and use just the top. instant patina if you can find one used in a good size... I found a new one on Amazon, 30 x 60, for under $150.
    4 x 4 tile could fit the vintage look, but tough to keep the grout looking nice.

jennypat Zone 3b NW MN thanked Oliviag
  • 4 years ago

LOL! Better eye candy, my hubby's grandmothers mixer, totally restored, but re-painted red! I have original white milk glass bowls too!

• 4 years ago

Jenny that's fab! I passed up my neighbors that he was selling for 10 bucks and I kick myself on a regular basis...

Vintage appliances are absolute workhorses (when rewired safely)...Love the red!

• 4 years ago

Maybe, if we save enough money on the countertop, you can consider this:

Also I totally see red gingham curtains with what you have :)

• 2 years ago

Hey, jennypat! How did it go? My husband and I are planning to create a small area in the backyard for the kids and summers and barbecues. And for it to be fun for everyone, we're thinking of an epoxy countertop with some mementos or other knick-knacks in the resin. We got the idea from this page we saw. Click here if you want to check that page out.

I checked our plan we both think it's doable. Also, do you think that it's okay to put things in the resin?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

• 2 years ago

Go to a stone facility and they often have stone and quartz remnants to choose from, at a discounted price❣️I got all my bathroom counters that way, quite a cost savings too.

• 2 years ago

Penny design: I love pink❣️