Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_cunningham44

Rug help please living room

4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I bought a rug from ballard 8x10 that is in the pictures, it needs to go back. In one week it is fraying terribly and I spent a lot on it. The chairs are not navy, it is an odd blue color. I was considering an ivory rug with texture but would like some color. Any suggestions to warm up this room? My preference is to go to a real store to view the rug if possible. Furniture needs to stay, pillow colors can be modified.

Comments (12)

• 4 years ago

The room is 13 x 15. My budget is only $800 for a new rug. I wondered if I needed a larger size, since the current one was not under the chair legs, thanks for the feedback Jan. I am located in CT and it seems options of stores are dwindling!

• 4 years ago

I like these 2 but. 8 x 10 seems too small for the space you have. and a big rug is definitely going to cost you; I can recommend going through facebook marketplace if that's available to you, you may be lucky and that way you can see the product first before purchasing as well.

• PRO
    4 years ago

Brick and mortar is fading everywhere. At that size space, I'd consider 9 x 12 a far better size. You don't mention where in CT.....

Or consider Pottery Barn, up the budget a couple hundred. In 9 x 12 below

Then jazz up those solid pillows, and get a coffee table in the space.

• 4 years ago

That looks great, thank you. I am in central CT but willing to go wherever to find the right items. I agree, the space needs a table! It is an odd layout with doors and it just feels so cold too me. I appreciate your thoughts, your two suggestions fit the aesthetics of the rest of my house.

• 4 years ago

I love to play on the Rugs USA site — huge selection and you can upload your picture to get an idea/inspiration. You can also see the rugs in other people’s rooms, plus videos of the rugs (to see the backs and close-ups of the pile, etc).

It gets addicting, though, so be warned. :)

I did 9x12 of these, you can choose different sizes to see. The only thing is that sometimes the ones they put in your room photo look a little brighter than they really are ... that’s why I posted other pics of this one below.

I think all of these are in your budget. And if you see any you like, maybe local stores carry the same or similar ones that you could see in person.

In “sand” (ignore the red lines, they’re from me moving the rugs around) .....

In “gray” .....

——————

Wanna go realllly bold?

Ok, maybe too bold! (I’m just having fun.) :D

This one comes in three different color schemes, and again isn’t as bright in real life (link below with pics and video).

https://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/rugs-usa-olden-tribal-medallion-fringe/Blue/200KHMC07A-9012.html

Are these all a little more traditional than you prefer?

• 4 years ago

Jinx, yes those are a little too traditional for me since i have a few antique pieces that you cannot see well in the photos, I am trying for a more transitional look. The chairs also have a lot going on o I am trying to limit too many elements in the rug ( am a bit boring). This room also attaches to my dining room with a competing rug color (green) that is very traditional. I will check out that site, it looks fun to try things out.

• 4 years ago

Ahh, that makes sense (going more transitional). I love the room, can’t wait to see what you decide! And pretty kitty. :)

• 4 years ago

Have you tried turning the rug the other direction just to check the size and fit in your room?

• PRO
    4 years ago

I've made a 3D mock up of your room and rendered these images so you could see what the rugs you may want will look like in your room before you buy them. Here are a few options I tried out. You can also swap out other furniture & colors too. I'm personally leaning towards fall colors which I think would go well with that couch. Will work on more options and post images. You could also do this on your own in this interactive 3D build here.

• PRO
    4 years ago

1. You can try rugs out on your computer on RugsUSA.com

2. Often better to buy the smallest rug available and check it for color. Then in the colors work, order the size rug you actually require. That way if a rug has to be returned, it's not like shipping a dead body.

3. Replace the drapes with blue panels hung at the ceiling.

Here are some rugs from RugsUSA.com. I thought you might want to see how your room looks with a variety of styles.

• 4 years ago

I appreciate all the feedback, I will upload photos soon of what I have done to the space. I still need to get a coffee table and new pillows. I put 4 inch trim around the windows to frame them, bamboo shades, unhemmed the linen curtains and raised them up, and a 9x12 hooked rug. The rug is pretty, not perfect but looks good with the odd chairs, hard to see but there is blue in the rug. Photos to come soon.