Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angela_fitzmorris

Why are some colors labelled "Not recommended in exterior paint"?

I'm repainting my front door and have settled on the color Roseate (Benjamin Moore 2078-10) It has a warning, as do most of the pink leaning reds that I favor, Not recommended in exterior paint. Some of the colors are not even available in exterior formulations. Does anyone know why? i'm thinking it has to do with color holding up to UV damage, but my front door doesn't get any direct sunlight. Any advice?

Comments (3)

• PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Exactly.

Exterior colors go through an extensive process of testing for light fastness, fading, weathering, etc.

This is why choosing a stock, exterior color is a smart strategy. Custom mix colors exterior are NOT smart because they haven't been measure or tested.

It's also a matter of inorganic vs. organic colorants.

Organic pigments is how you get vivid, clear colors. Organic pigments are not stable for exterior use because they are prone to fading. Yellow and reds notoriously are fast-faders exterior; signs of fading can show up as soon as one to two years no matter the quality of the base paint.

Inorganic pigments are sometimes called 'earth' pigments or 'natural' pigments because they are mined from the earth. Inorganic is far more stable and resistant to fading than organic. That's why so many exterior palettes are beiges, browns, tans, etc. - it's a matter of function.

You might notice that some exterior colors come ready-mixed and canned from the factory. Ben Moore has several colors with the letters "EXT RM" right on the chips. Those letters stand for Exterior Ready-Mix. Those colors have an extra edge of stability because the pigment was 'cooked into' the paint at the factory level -- not just colorant added and shaken thru at the paint store.

If fading or intense exposure is an issue, looking to those ready-mixed exterior colors first is a good plan. You just won't have much choice about gloss levels. A lot of them only come in semi-gloss, some come in satin.

• PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

As far as what you can do, this is an advanced Color Strategist strategy. :) But if you're up for it:

Sherwin-Williams had some of the best exterior reds of any brand - E.V.E.R.

You can find them in the old "Exterior Color Answers" fandeck. Some stores have old fandecks behind the counter.

Colors like 2913 Class Red and 2914 Vermillion Red.

The challenge - These colors have to be mixed in a primary red base.

Only SW's Resilience has a primary red base. Most SW's do not stock this base; will probably have to find a store that will order it for you.

Once you get the base, you can ask them to try to find a old SW exterior red that's similar to Rosate.

I have large chips of all the old SW reds. If you get so far as to find the right base, I can dig them out and see what's close to Rosate.

• last year
    last modified: last year

Thanks for your question! i wondered too but after some more digging i found that the color i wanted was available in an exterior ben moore paint. This one seems close to what you wanted https://store.benjaminmoore.com/storefront/us/en/coating/exterior-paints/benjamin-moore/ben-waterborne-exterior-paint/ben/p/0543