Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alexandra_w44

Should I paint this fireplace?

2 years ago

It doesn't look so bad in the photo, but in person it reminds my of the type of flagstone that you always see outside of diners. I've tried to clean it to see if that would brighten it up, but not much is working. Lots of orange tones and smoke stains at the bottom. Thinking of lime-washing it a neutral or warm white/beige, but I'm afraid it will wash out the room. It's a very bright room with lots of natural light. Part of me thinks it will warm up the room even more in a good way. Should I bite the bullet and do it or do you think my concerns are valid? Thanks!

Comments (20)

• 2 years ago

Also not a pro. My first impression is that the fireplace is nice and I would probably keep the stone. I agree with Mel about changing the tile hearth, though I have no suggestions for you. As well, the mantle looks “off.” I’m wondering if a heftier, rough hewn piece of wood might be better, just my non-designer 2 cents.

• 2 years ago

Would not paint the stone. Agree about better matching hearth and heftier mantel, but I think that the fireplace looks great with the wood ceiling. Maybe find a striking decorative screen to add a little refined element? Start filling in the accents of the room, with some color -- art, rug, et.

• 2 years ago

I would paint it, but would look for a custom painter who can do a faux effect that looks natural. Like in this blog. https://thedecorologist.com/so-what-should-you-yabba-dabba-do-with-a-flintstone-fireplace/

• 2 years ago

Your room is almost there...just needs a focal point better. Paint the wall at fp a color in stone.

• 2 years ago

A tan will be good.

• 2 years ago

Iron mountain another good color.

• 2 years ago

After seeing the link provided above, I would consider the faux paint, and professionally done as others mentioned. My other suggestion if you’re not opposed to a larger expense would be to apply a veneer to update it. We just did ours and I’m really happy with it (we also replaced the mantel, hearth, & door). It’s one of those things where we keep saying we wished we’d done it sooner.

• 2 years ago

I think the stone is not a problem. i agree with other posters that state changing the hearth and i would change the mantel to a thicker wood similar to your ceiling.

• 2 years ago

Thanks, all! Great points, and appreciate all of the ideas. I completely agree that the room needs a few more design elements. I have a decorative screen coming that's been delayed since April that's going to add a little something. I know I need a rug. I think I will focus on hearth update and mantle upgrade next in lieu of paint right now for the fireplace specifically. I do not want to spend serious $$ right now because this house has needed a lot of updates and we're still going, even though I do like the idea of faux painting but the quote I received when I looked into it was way out of our budget (but I do love the idea!). For the tile hearth, I am not sure what to do ..maybe we can veneer that with something?? Not sure. Again, thanks so much.

• 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Looking at photo again how about a solid piece of gray or black slate for the hearth?

• 2 years ago

Another one that really likes the fireplace as it is, except for the hearth, which goes with absolutely nothing.

• 2 years ago

No. You can never go back.

• 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I think a slightly darker wall paint color in a grayer color would help it stand out less (not painted on stone - painted on wall). Same with non brown furniture. Your current paint and furniture bring out the color of the stone.

• PRO
    2 years ago

The colors is too dark I think if we use white colors is better

• 2 years ago

Agree stone looks good you need stone hearth and stained wood mantel. The old tile and to small white mantel is the problem

• PRO
    2 years ago

It needs a new mantle in a wood finish. The hearth should be stone, but If you cannot swing that they at least make it darker so it recedes in appearance.

You can order the new mantle off Amazon.

• PRO
    2 years ago

Perhaps trying a heftier mantle and redoing the hearth would help here.

Mt. Washington Ski House · More Info

• PRO
    2 years ago

I would do a reclaimed wood mantel, sides and hearth and a dark teal/green on that wall (like your accent pillows. Here's a super quick (and very messy, but for the visual) mock up for you.

• 2 years ago

Thank you for the additional comments! Great ideas!! I removed the white mantle and already a huge impact. Getting ready to work on hearth.