Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcarch7

Pardon My Irish

last year
last modified: last year

Since we are all Irish on St. Patrick's Day.

So I made a typical NY-ish Irish dinner, which you are not going to find in Ireland: Corned beef, potatoes, cabbage, and a few carats :-) .

dcarch

Comments (19)

• last year

Love those 'carats'. Very clever!

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked chisue
  • last year

Love the shamrocks! Appetizing looking plate, too. ;)

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked plllog
  • last year

Once upon a once we were in Ireland on St Patty's Day... and they did nothing. ! They acutally found our American fuss a bit amusing. (We did not have Corned Beef and Cabbage for any meal.)

That was a very fancy meal you served. It was a lot of work (especially those Carats and Shamrocks,) and I bet it tasted delicious.

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked CA Kate z9
  • last year

The carrots could have been sliced into gold coins.

At first, I thought the orange was out of place, since it represents their enemies.

I've never had an Irish meal, that I know of, although I am a tiny bit Irish, but then I am also a tiny bit Scots-Irish, which would be the enemies of the Irish.

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked Lars
  • last year

Love it!!! 🍀💚🍀

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked chloebud
  • last year

Cute!

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked party_music50
  • last year

Clever and it looks tasty, too!

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked nickel_kg
  • last year

Kate, what I've read is that the Irish-Americans got corned beef from Jewish-American delis. It makes sense about the lack of fuss in Ireland itself. They don't have to celebrate Irish heritage to feel Irish. Like Cinco de Mayo, long before it was a drinking holiday sponsored by big business, was celebrated in California as a cultural day since the battle of Puebla happened, even though it was a dozen years after statehood.

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked plllog
  • last year

People in Mexico (and many Mexican-Americans) celebrate 16 de Septiembre (equivalent to our 4th of July) instead of Cinco de Mayo.

The Irish do celebrate St Patrick's Day in Ireland, and it is one of their biggest holidays. However, like Mexico, Easter is huge, and Semana Santa is the biggest holiday in Mexico for travel, and also the worst time to travel there.

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked Lars
  • last year

Oh, I like the clovers made with the peppers, although we all know that Shamrocks actually only have three leaves. Four leaf clovers are luckier, though, and I really like the carrot carats.

Corned beef is definitely not Irish, boiled bacon would be more authentic, I think, but not nearly as good.

Annie

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked annie1992
  • last year

Celebrating people (in this case the Irish), especially in the beautiful way you have!, can't be wrong.

😉

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • last year

Splendid platter!

And I just watched this video from Weird History the other day - learned about the corned beef thing for St. Patrick's Day, and they also said the pope eventually gave a special dispensation or something so Irish Catholics could celebrate the holiday during Lent...

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • last year

it’s a fabulous plate! the bell pepper clovers! the carats!

Similar to Americans and St Pat Day, I attended a Danish-American event where the Danish ambassador said that the Danish Americans are more Danish than the Danes!

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked bpath
  • last year

Dcarch, you've posted many MANY enticing, beautiful, delicious looking and originally plated meals over the years I have been a member here. But this one tops them all!

Rusty

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked Rusty
  • last year

Artistic and fabulous as always.

St Patrick's celebrations as you know them are American. This is an interesting explanation for Ireland. https://www.britannica.com/topic/Saint-Patricks-Day

St Patrick was English which I find very funny.

Lars, orange isn't the colour of the enemies of Ireland. In the 17th century, England (because of a lack of a home-grown heir and various other hideous complications) was unfortunate to get a Dutch king called WIlliam of Orange. He was a protestant and made a lot of laws in Ireland against the catholics, not allowing them to have good jobs etc. Hence the troubles between the catholics and the protestants. The protestants march with orange flags, which are like a red rag to a bull for the catholics. It's all been very sad, mad and complicated and lasted way too long.

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked Islay Corbel
  • last year

Green pepper four leaf clovers AND a history lesson! You gotta love the cooking forum folks.

That video was fun too.

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked JoanM
  • last year

The Irish tricolour is green, white and orange....... “The white in the centre signifies a lasting truce between Orange and Green and I trust that beneath its folds the hands of Irish Protestants and Irish Catholics may be clasped in generous and heroic brotherhood." https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/adc448-the-national-flag/

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • last year

Flora it's tragic that so much blood has been shed since that declaration. There still isn't total peace in NI.