Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_684371897

Help picking exterior paint - decision paralysis

10 months ago
last modified: 10 months ago

Im having my house painted and im fozen in indecision.

My house is currently a faded version of BM’s Rural Earth. I want a slightly lighter, less red more gray brown. But I just can’t envision the sample over the whole house.

My house is a ranch, faces west.

I’ve narrowed down to two colors, one is SW River Birch SW 3024.

The other is half River Birch half Caribou SW3025.

I feel like in the sun the River Birch looks really washed out, and in non-overcast light it has a green undertone. My other concern with the lighter is that my siding is 60 years old and the light color will make the gaps, cracks more visible where now they are hidden with the dark.

The custom color is a tad darker than I think I wanted an maybe a little purple when it’s over cast????

The front of the house is shaded until around 5pm, then gets strong sunlight.

I don’t know which way to go. My painter is using Woodscapes stain and I just learned yesterday that I didn’t have to stick to just those colors. But I’m out of time and I need to pick one of these two.

Please help. Please….. :(

Comments (17)

• 10 months ago

Hard to tell exact colors on my screen but whichever one goes with the gray of the roof. That's what you see from the front.

Indecisiveness thanked tracefloyd
  • 10 months ago

The one on the right as long as it works with the roof color. To me a lighter color will give the house more ”life.”

Indecisiveness thanked chloebud
  • 10 months ago

green undertones is not a bad thing.

remember that it will also fade some with that bright wash of sunlight.

Indecisiveness thanked Lyn Nielson
  • 10 months ago

I would go with lighter color.

Indecisiveness thanked kculbers
  • 10 months ago

They are both great - forced to choose, I like the darker one. But you so go wrong with either color.🙂

Indecisiveness thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • 10 months ago

Thanks for the responses.

I wish i had taken a picture yesterday with the sun.

I dont ever dislike the dark color, but there are times i wish it were lighter.

The light color gets washed out in the direct sun and i dislike it. But then when its overcast or shady, i prefer it to the darker. And since decision day is overcast, im second guessing myself.

• 10 months ago

Don’t freak out - that happens when you are rushing your decision. I like River Birch, but they would both be fine.

Indecisiveness thanked Susie .
  • 10 months ago

My stress is 100% self inflicted. ive been looking at paint samples since 2019.. i thought i wanted SW Anonymous . Then i got a sample and didnt like it and have been lost ever since. I have a hard time picturing a light color on the whole house so the darker color feels safer. i appreciate the feedback.

And i will come back for landscaping once imrolace the walkway. Its so shaded from my maples, even my hostas dont thrive. They havent grown noticebly in the 10 years ive been here, they stay compact.

• 10 months ago

SashaDog. I also suffer, at times, from decision paralysis! I had decision paralysis choosing the color of my quartz countetertops in our bathrooms and kitchen, color of our bathroom vanities, and color of our new front entry door (to name a few). I am the opposite of an “impulse buyer”. I must thoroughly research everyhing I purchase; it is a blessing and a curse! I did eventually make choices with the help of my wonderful kitchen designer, and my sweetheart of a husband. Dont be so hard on yourself.

• 10 months ago

I like the darker color. Not fond of the lighter color at all.

• 10 months ago

Same color on front and back of house in the evening.. I think its ok, I dont love it but it could be worse.

• 10 months ago

It’s great - you need landscaping, get rid of the awful tree, and a pretty front door color!!!

Indecisiveness thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • 10 months ago

Your samples are much too small. Need to paint larger size samples on panels (at least 4x4, if not bigger) that you can move around to view in different locations, at different times of day.

Indecisiveness thanked Debbie Downer
  • PRO
    10 months ago

Geez I hope you are using an opaque stain and NOT paint on the wood. Since the house is so hidden under the trees, perhaps the lighter shade is better.

I think the green undertone makes the whole home more interesting and less expected. What has to be addressed is the white trim. That is not good with either of the colors.

Indecisiveness thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 10 months ago

I love the look of the trim a couple shades darker than the house. Unfortunately, my windows are white vinyl clad so white trim is what it is. I thought it'd look weird to have white windows and different eaves trim.

I agree the giant maple is less than ideal from a landscape standpoint. But it provides so much shade that i don't need a/c in the house. I have hydronic heat and only a 100amp power feed to the house, so installing central a/c is a major ordeal. I'm going to keep that ugly maple alive as long as i can!

• PRO
    10 months ago

https://www.thompsoncreek.com/blog/can-you-paint-vinyl-windows/

Anything thing can be painted including vinyl windows.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022