Shop Products
sereday3189

Does anyone know why my hardy hibiscus blooms look washed out?

I have a candy crush hibiscus with bright pink vibrant blooms. I just noticed today that all the new blooms looked washed out . They are all lighter in color a pale pink . I'm not sure if it's because we just had non stop rain yesterday all day and temperatures were in high 60s ? Or if somethings wrong with them?

• 10 months ago

I just bought them this year from a plant store minors. I bought it as a 3 gallon I believe and they have all been the same color until today. I also just noticed some of the blooms are smaller to

• 10 months ago

Blooms which have a very short lifespan, such as hibiscus syriacus, can be very variable. I have a couple of these - a Lavender Chiffon and a Bluebird, and I see a lot of variation across the flowering season. And this is in mature, well established plants. Young plants can be fairly anomalous - Lavender Chiffon is especially unstable with variation in colour and number of petals. The ephemeral flowers do change over the course of the day and can be sensitive to environmental changes. I wouldn't worry overmuch as this is a new planting. The foliage looks healthy.

• 10 months ago

Thank you

• 10 months ago

But this isn't H syriacus. 'Hardy Hibiscus' refers to that species in the UK but in the US it means H moscheutus.

• 10 months ago

ooops, so right, Floral. I admit to knowing b***er all about moscheutos. Still don't think there is much to worry about though. I used to grow a few abutilons ((abutilon x hybridus, abutilon x suntense) which were also variable, especially in sun or by the end of the day. The flowers were variable in size too.

Of course, it could well be wild speculation on my part (wouldn't be the first time) but I am not really seeing anything about the OP's plant which might make me think, 'oooh, well dodgy'.

• 10 months ago

Nor am I. In fact I prefer the paler pink.

• 10 months ago

it is not uncommon for flowers to change color from the moment they open.. until the moment they rot off the plant...

the color change would be even more apparent at dusk.. note that pic taken in full blinding sun at mid day.. wash out also... try going out there in the evening... they wont look anything like they do in your pix.... its all about how your eye processes and registers the light.. in the olden days.. a camera nut would take about aperture.. how wide open the camera eye is/was....

imo.. this is part of the enjoyment of gardening.. every new day.. is a new mystery.. not every observation is an emergency to be FIXED...

but we can sure have fun talking about it...

ken

• 10 months ago

of course.. in the olden days.. we didnt have the WWW.. so we just walked around the yard talking to ourselves..

people talked.. lol .. a lot of pointing.. and telling the kids to stay away from the nut down the street...

ken

ps: sometimes we also yelled at our plants..lol ..