Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirk_richou

Laminate flooring over hardwood?

10 months ago

I want to replace my living room, dining, and kitchen all with 12mm thick laminate. My kitchen and dining room already have 3/4" hardwood installed original to the house, Including under cabinets and appliances. Carpet is in the living room. To keep the entire floor level, do I need to remove the hardwood floors first? If so, do I also remove them where the refrigerator and oven sit? I want a smooth transition and not sure how to handle existing hardwood floor.

Comments (5)

• 10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

Laminate, lvp, engineered hardwood or solid. Laminate has a thin hardcoat overthe picture of wood. AC4 gives you the highesr residental wear rating at 4000 rubs of the testing fixture. LVP has a picture, then a clear sheet of vinyl 12 to 40mils thick. 40mils is one millimeter. Then a hard urethane top coat. LVP can provide more protection than laminate. Laminate doesn't warranty against damage from high heels or sand. Engineered hardwood has a layer of hardwood of 0.6 to 4 or 6mm thick over a core of hardwood or plywood. 6mm gives you the same long-term sand and refinish capabilities as tongue and groove solid hardwood. Engineered allows wide 7-11" planks because of the stability of the construction and installation. That width makes it possible to cut the wood flat to show the grain of a full board. Solid expansion and contraction mostly limits the width to 3-5 inches and less of the beauty of the wood grain structure is visible.

I'd not choose laminate over lvp. And I'd choose wide engineered over skinnier solid planks.

I'd remove all the carpet and hardwood to level your subfloor before putting down your new choice. Engineered European Oak in a light tone is currently a favored choice. Many sources in all formats except solid. Monarch Plank is a site with good learning resources.

• PRO
    10 months ago

New flooring needs to be installed over the subfloor, not an existing finished floor. Way too many issues with that.

• 10 months ago

So the goal is to have one flooring throughout the house? (a good idea, IMO). What I can see of your hardwood is beautiful - is it possible to just replace the carpet with matching oak? Your house doesn't look that old - I imagine the wood floors are in good shape?

• 10 months ago

" Your house doesn't look that old - I imagine the wood floors are in good shape "

It is a prefinished product that may be a tough match but definitely something I would look into.

• 10 months ago

Real wood is preferable to anything. But laminate is the lowest on the totem pole. It’s slippery, cannot get wet and looks the most “plastic”. If you have real oak surrounding the carpet, why not try to match it with engineered wood?

If you’re changing all the flooring to another color, then you need to create a smooth, even subfloor throughout. LVP is a good product if you have kids and pets.