Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_198023013

Are there any good Behr white trim colors?

7 months ago

I see the same white paint colors recommended for trim everywhere:
BenM Chantilly Lace
BenM Simply White
SW Pure White
SW Extra White
And for good reason--these are outstanding paint colors (or lack thereof). But let's say I am constrained to using Behr paint. Are there any colors that deliver a classic white trim look? For some reason I see pink and/or yellow just about everywhere in the Behr "white" fan deck. The exception is Ultra Pure White, which I am open to using, but, with a 94 LRV, is perhaps overwhelmingly reflective. The walls next to the trim I am painting are very colorful, so a bonus would be a white paint that can hold up to (not excessively reflect) blue, green, orange, and yellow. Thank you for your responses!

Comments (14)

• 7 months ago

How “colorful” are your walls? High chroma or just not neutral? What do you think of Whisper White or Frost? Slightly lower LRV. Is there a white you would prefer instead? They may be able to color match, but I’d want to sample it either way. Chantilly Lace also a pretty high LRV.

M G thanked Susie .
  • 7 months ago

Thank you, Susie! The walls are very colorful (deep green, orange, yellow, and blue). As an example, one of the colors has HSV of 25/64/83. I think your point about Chantilly Lace is well taken. My ideal scenario would be a color that appears white, isn't overwhelmed by the wall colors, but would still work as a white trim color if I decide to repaint with a subtler/neutral palette. Whisper white and frost are great suggestions! Frost might be a little on the cool side for the brighter colors.

• 7 months ago

I love Behr paint!! It is highly rated. Several years ago, after we renovated the inside if our home, we painted the entire inside with Behr Scuff Defense Paint and Primer, in off white. Satin for doors and trim, matte for walls and ceilings. Everyone who visits loves the color. We are quite happy with the color too. It looks good in all times of the day. The paint is wonderful to use: easy to apply, good coverage. White goes with everything!!

M G thanked kculbers
  • 7 months ago

Thank you @kculbers. The pictures you posted are beautiful! The off white looks great in your home, but I am looking for something closer to the "white" range. I also think using the same color for the walls and trim creates a nice look. Did you consider any other options for trim?

• 7 months ago

We have liked behr marquee melting icicles. We have used it in two homes.

M G thanked J Mig
  • 7 months ago

Here are Behr's eight most popular whites. I used Ultra Pure White (LRV 94) everywhere. Frost (87), Vibrant White (84), followed by White (LRV 83) appear closest to Ultra Pure White while not, on my monitor, introducing a significant tint.

Youtube:

M G thanked wdccruise
  • 7 months ago

MG: We like the look of matching colors for the walls and trim.

M G thanked kculbers
  • 7 months ago

Thank you @Lori! Your post gets to the heart of the matter. The colors in the new Behr line address most of the go-to white shades and all of the ones I mentioned in my original post. The question is, How well do they approximate those colors?

Take Benjamin Moore Simply White versus Behr Natural White, for example. It seems that these are both warm yellow whites with LRV close to 90. Subjectively, I would say they are both nice colors, depending on the situation. However, Simply White is closer to a "true white" while Natural White is more of an eccru or linen white. I have heard Simply White described as "crisp", which I do not think applies to Linen White. The C, h°, and hue values in the table you provide (this is a remarkable tool!) seem to confirm a quantitative difference.

I would use simply white for a trim color in my situation, but I would avoid Natural White because the linen undertones are stronger than I would like for a "white" paint. Similar comparisons could be made for other pairs in the table.

• PRO
    7 months ago

Welcome. 🙂

The difference in data values are minimal. The numbers essentially indicate that the BEHR colors are spot-on to the inspo colors.

Color data values - even when measuring the same color chip - are never the same. Measuring color with an instrument isn't like using a measuring tape to measure a 2x4 for example. It's just the nature of the science.

I'm sure you know that color online is never accurate; it's often very 'off'. And the only way to accurately assess and compare color is real life physical chips/samples.

M G thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • 7 months ago

Is the actual color that reflective or is it really the finish--eggshell, satin, glossy, etc.

• 7 months ago

Hello @HU-227031627. It is the color. The color determines the amount of light that is reflected and the proportion of light from each color range. The finish determines whether the light is reflected in fewer directions (high gloss/sheen) or in a greater number of directions (low gloss/sheen). @Lori has written about this in depth and I'm sure could provide you with a much more detailed explanation.

• PRO
    7 months ago

MG is correct. LRV has one job - it tells you how much light a color reflects and that's all it does.

It doesn't tell you anything about dull, muted or Lightness Value.

Many think that LRV indicates how light or dark a color looks. And that is not correct.

Again, LRV tells you HOW MUCH light a color reflects. End of story.

Value, either Lightness Value (L*) in CIELAB color space or Value (V) in the Munsell system are the only two notations that directly describe how light or dark a color LOOKS.

Any correlation between HOW MUCH light is reflected and how that quantity of light LOOKS in terms of lighter or darker is purely subjective.

Because, obviously, how that quantity of light is perceived is an individual human perception.

Gloss levels in architectural coatings don't qualify as reflectors for several reasons. Substrates (walls) that aren't absolutely glass-smooth is one example.

What people describe as "reflective" in high gloss finishes is in reality just flash points spots of glare.

The truth is paint is a poor reflector of light beams; even the higher sheens are not able to toss a relevant amount of light back into the space.

• PRO
    7 months ago

Someone asked about the BEHR chip that notates which BenM or SW color it's a duplicate for. Here are all 10 of the chips so you can see how/where it's noted.

Again, these are formulated duplicates. Will get these colors consistently from store to store.