Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunny_mississippi_8a

K&M Roses Rare Austin Report!

Sunny Mississippi 8a
29 days ago
last modified: 29 days ago

Hi friends! I took a trip to K&M Roses this past Friday 3/29. I felt an essential need to report back to you regarding all of the hard-to-find Austins they have in stock OWN ROOT and grafted on fort. I hope this helps some of you find special varieties you had hoped to receive this year.

Since the Garden Roses LLC shadow fell on the community, K&M Roses has had an influx of orders. I'm very excited to support this business, and I know that it is run by honest individuals. Mr. Jim, Mrs. Liz, and Mrs. Megan are all in charge of running operations. Between the three of them, they do their best to fill and ship orders according to the date they are received. You may visit their Facebook page, which Megan uses to keep their customers in the loop as far as availability, delays, shipment, etc. All that to say, email them your rose order. And be patient, please. I saw the roses firsthand and can tell you THEY ARE REAL!!

* by the plants I saw in one-gallon pots during my trip Friday

+ by the plants that jumped into my minivan

Please remember they fill orders according to the date received. So just because I saw it, doesn't mean it's still available. But they certainly had THOUSANDS! I hope you are able to receive your dream Austin rose.

K&M only lists the Registration name on their website/FB Page, so I added the Exhibition names to this list to help you scan more quickly!

AUSap – Queen Nefertiti

*+AUSblush – Heritage

*+AUSbloom – The Dark Lady

*+AUSbord – Gertrude Jekyll

*+AUSbuff – English Garden

*+AUScat – Winchester Cathedral

*+AUScer – Chaucer

*+AUScot – Abraham Darby

*AUScrim – L.D. Braithwaite

*AUSdrawn – The Generous Gardener

AUSelle – Belle Story

AUSencart – Benjamin Britten

*AUSgold – Golden Celebration

*+AUShouse – Harlow Carr

*AUShunter – Jubilee Celebration

*+AUSire – The Squire

*+AUSjess – Pretty Jessica

*AUSjo – Jude the Obscure

AUSkeppy – Grace

*AUSland – Scepter’d Isle

*+AUSli – Lilian Austin

*AUSlot – Sophie’s Rose

*AUSmary – Mary Rose

*AUSmas – Graham Thomas

*AUSmit – St. Cecilia

*AUSmol – Molineux

*+AUSmound – Lilian Austin

*AUSmove – Tess of the d’Urbervilles

*AUSmum – Pat Austin

*+AUSnyson – Lady of Shalott

AUSoil – Troilus

*AUSpero – Prospero

*AUSpoly – Charlotte

*AUSquest – Crocus Rose

*+AUSreef – Sharifa Asma

AUSsal – Radio Times

*+AUSsaucer – Evelyn

*+AUStamora – Tamora

*AUSvelvet – The Prince

*AUSwalker – The Pilgrim

*+AUSwinter – Crown Princess Margareta

Just because I didn't see it in person (doesn't have an *), doesn't mean they don't have it. There were thousands of roses, so it's very likely they might have the roses in stock I didn't see.

According to their FB post, they have both own-root and grafted options available.

These are sold as 1 gal. pots.

$23 grafted

$20 own root

(prices are subject to change)

*I did see Jubilee Celebration, someone on the forum was looking for that one?

Comments (45)

• strawchicago z5
    29 days ago

Sunny: what are their own-root Austin roses? I'm in cold zone 5 so I cannot grow grafted-on-Fortuniana. Thank you. Many thanks for informing everyone of K&M nursery and their Facebook page.

K and M Roses | Facebook

Very impressed with their Facebook's pics of tons of roses in green houses and also in gallon pots. I wish I had seen their old Facebook post dated back in Dec. 17, 2023, see below:

"This is the last day of our Christmas appreciation sale
    Grafted fortuniana: Grande amore Beverly Memorial Day Sunny skies Elina Tiffany Ausdrawn Ausland
    OWN ROOT Auscot Ausmound Ausmove Ausencart Ausland Ausquest Ausmas Auscat Auslot
    Any 4 of the above for 50.00 plus ups shipping, carton, and tax. Send orders to info@kandmroses.com include phone #. MERRY CHRISTMAS for letting us grow and sell these great roses for over 30 plus years."

K&M facebook entry on Dec. 17, 2023.

• strawchicago z5
    29 days ago

Thanks to Sunny's informing me of K & M Facebook page, I went through their photos to look at their many bush-shots of popular roses, and it's amazing how their Summer Sun rose is many times bigger than my tiny own-root Summer Sun at 1' x 1' in zone 5.

Below is K and M roses Facebook post on August 9, 2023 of their summer sale at 1/2 price for 2 gallons grafted on Fortuniana: Facebook

"It’s hot in south ms. The heat index was 115 on Monday, we are in the process of going through our old English roses orders, they will begin to get ready in Sept on some varieties . not enough help to put our existing 2 gal roses in 3gal they are very large plants, we’ve decided to move them out at 1/2 price, reg 25.00 for 12.50 .... also have a few own root at same price, and a few Dave bang mini, miniflora and florabundas,

HUGE fortuniana grafted roses for only 12.50 plus ups shipping, minimum order will be 2 plants, carton, we ship ups, please include your phone number with inquiry, email info@kandmroses.com. Cannot ship to AZ, or West coast in 2 gal." August 9, 2023.

I love K & M Facebook page, since I can see the entire bush shots of popular roses. Back in 2018, K & M offered Lady of Megginch Austin rose for only $16. A friend in Chicagoland drove 45 min. to get that Austin from a nursery. Their Poseidon is over 10 feet tall versus mine at 3 feet tall as own-root in my zone 5. Below is one of the many pics on K & M Facebook page of their roses.

• Sunny Mississippi 8a
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Hey @strawchicago z5

I'm not sure which roses are own-root and which are grafted. I would assume they are providing both own-root and grafted options for each of their Austin varieties. They have multiple greenhouses for their own-root roses as well as multiple greenhouses for their fort. grafted roses.

Of the ones that came home with me, these were all own-root:

Abe Darby

Chandos Beauty

Daisy Mills

The Dark Lady

Earth Angel

English Garden

Evelyn

Lady of Shalott

Lilian Austin

Paul Neyron

Pretty Jessica

Tamora

Winchester Cathedral

Regarding their sale of the 2gal roses.. they are switching to growing and selling mainly 1gal roses because they are less expensive to ship. I don't anticipate we will see them posting anymore about 2gal sizes available. I could be wrong.

• stillanntn6b
    29 days ago

What an excellent post! Thank you for making such an effort. And the own-root makes it really valuable.

• strawchicago z5
    29 days ago

Sunny Mississippi 8a Thank you for helping cold-zoners like me with Austin own-roots. Many cold-zoners rave about Chandos Beauty: Niels in Denmark (zone 5), John Moody in MO (zone 6), and Carol (zone 4 Canada).

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    29 days ago

Thank you, Sunny, for your detailed report of your visit to K and M. Your list of the Austin’s they are currently carrying is very helpful, especially so because the list they have on their website is out of date: it says 2022-2023 and it doesn’t list as many as you showed. I sent my order in by email last Thursday and still have not heard back from them, but I’ll be patient for a while longer. I would be sad if they sold out of the ones I want so badly.

• Elestrial 7a
    29 days ago

Thank you. I ordered Prospero from them a month or so ago and it arrived healthy and happy, great customer service

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    28 days ago

Does K&M allow walk in customers that dont have orders or do they only allow picking up of already placed orders and mail order?

• Sunny Mississippi 8a
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Hey @sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) they do allow customers to visit the nursery. There were ladies from Georgia shopping at the nursery when I arrived. I usually call about a week in advance to double-check they will be at the nursery the day I plan to visit. Their hours are listed on the website.

@judijunebugarizonazn8 K&M listed a more extensive Austin list on their FB page. I hope you get all that you listed in your order. If you don't see an email back from them within a week, send a follow-up email and try to call in the morning.

@strawchicago z5 I was shocked to see Chandos Beauty there! You really never know what they will have, because there is always sooo much more in the greenhouses than what is listed on their website and FB page. The Rouge Royal they had smelled heavenly! It was in my hand but somehow didn't make it to the checkout? Just a reason to go back in a year! They also have a gorgeous Wild Blue Yonder.

They also had OWN-ROOT KORDES for anyone who is interested!

• strawchicago z5
    28 days ago
    last modified: 28 days ago

Sunny Mississippi 8a Rouge Royal has the strongest pure rasberry scent versus Sonia Rykiel is both raspberry and old rose. Rouge Royal loves the heat for Pakistan rosarian, but it's wimpy in my cold zone. K&M showed a few pics. of Bronze Star .. that's super fragrant & big bloom. Bronze star blooms well when with tons of rain. I like Bronze Star's scent more than Sutter's Gold. Bronze Star last 5+ days in the vase, versus Sutter's Gold blows fast. Below orange is Bronze Star (own-root) with bigger bloom than Austins behind it.

Below Rouge Royal loves the heat plus tons of rain. It's the strongest rasberry scent I know of.

• Diane Brakefield
    28 days ago

I've never seen a pink Rouge Royale before. My two plants produce dark red blooms. Diane

• KrystalW 9b SoCal
    28 days ago

I have tried to put in an additional order by email but have yet to hear back. I want Sharifa Asma and St. Cecilia. I’m sure they’re busy! My Evelyn and Tamora both came in maybe two months ago and were shipped promptly and with care after payment was received. Pleasant people to work with!

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    17 days ago

Since this is my first time trying to order from K and M roses, I’m not quite sure what to expect. It’s 16 days since I first emailed them with an order. I sent a follow up email about a week after the first order. This week I tried three times to call. First time James answered and said the nursery was closed for a storm, please call back tomorrow. So I called back the next day and got voicemail. I left a message but they didn’t return my call. Yesterday I got ahold of James again and he informed me that the girl who answers the emails informed him she has 650 emails to answer, so please be patient and they will get to me. He couldn’t tell me whether they had the roses I wanted or not. I’m trying to be patient! ;)

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    17 days ago

Judi,

I’m afraid your experience with K&M isn’t too out of the ordinary, there are times when one must try many times to place an order, and other times one suceeds right away. Patience and persistence may both be necessary. They are very trustworthy people and always send out very nice plants once that order is placed. I have probably ordered from them a dozen times over the years, so I obviously feel it’s worth the effort, but I understand that others may not want to go through the hassle.

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    17 days ago

Thanks, Ben. A little reassurance is helpful right now. I’m ok with waiting as long as I eventually get the roses I’m waiting for. I am a bit nervous they will be out of the two Pretty Jessica’s I’m most wanting… in that case I’ll need to rethink. I haven’t come up with a good substitute yet.

• susan9santabarbara
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

What Ben said. They are the ultimate low tech small mom'n'pop operation, even more so than RU, but now that they got mentioned as a source in the recent discussions, I'm sure they're completely overwhelmed. They've always required patience, and even more so now :-D

16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

Oh Susan, I’d say K&M and RU jointly win the gold medal when it comes to Low Tech Roses! RU’s website, where you have to keep hitting ’older posts’ to see additional offerings should probably win some ’ least intuitive user interface’ award, too. I don’t know how many times I’ve had to explain to folks how to view all their offereings. (And this is their reveamped and ’improved’ website!) But they are my two favorite vendors for hard-to-get roses!

• susan9santabarbara
    16 days ago

Ben, exactly! And when I get a RU paper catalog (a roll of the dice from year to year), it's never quite the same as the website. I remember back way before RU's website, I'd call in my order and they'd send the roses before I could send my check :-D

16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

Susan, K&M used to do the same thing…send out the roses before collecting the money! A few years ago, Mr Mills wrote a rather apologetic letter saying that going forward, he had to collect money first, before sending out plants (imagine that!).. And I remember RUs pictureless paper catalog that would randomly show up on some years, sometimes not until late summer. In my mind I imagined that poor Pat was typing out each catalog individually on her manual typewriter, that’s why it took so long. And by the time she finished typing a catalog, her inventory had changed. They both get the gold medal for ’Best Relics of a Bygone Era’, too!

• pink rose(9b, FL )
    15 days ago

Cool Roses too in West Palm Beach, FL shipped me roses before charging me maybe a month later .

• Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA
    15 days ago

I wonder if it will be possible for anyone to get their hands on Lady Emma Hamilton ever again?... :(

• Echo_Texas_zone9a
    15 days ago

Judi I emailed K&M when I heard about them on the Garden Roses LLc thread when I realized I wouldn’t get my Abraham Darby. K&M did email me back and said they think they still have it and will tag it for me and email me back about shipping. Have you heard from K&M yet?

I had also emailed Mindy at Hummingbird roses when she said she had a couple left on her FB post but she was already out of it.

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    15 days ago

Echo, I still have not heard back from K and M. It seems strange to me. It has been two and a half weeks since my first email. I sent a second email six days later. In the second week I made three phone calls but all I accomplished was being told I was one of 650 emails waiting to be answered. My hopes were that since I had emailed quite a while before I was told that, that I might be near the top of the list. But I’m still waiting (patiently?).

• EnglishRoseBud
    15 days ago

is crown princess margarita out of circulation in the US?

• KrystalW 9b SoCal
    15 days ago

@EnglishRoseBud CPM is still available in the US.

• EnglishRoseBud
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

KrystalW 9b SoCal Thank you for answering, my mom sent me a list from a greenhouse near her home and I was trying to decide what she should purchase from that list while they were in stock near her. I decided it was better for her to get actual plants from a nursery after everything I've seen recently. I may order a few of these the above ones as birthday gift. I see a couple that she would probably like.

I just sent off an order for 6 for my mother and hopefully they answer her soon :)

• Sunny Mississippi 8a
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Echo and Judi the waiting patiently part is tough for sure, but the positive note is they have gigantic mother plants. Rows and rows of mother plants. I didn't take pics of those because I didn't catch the first bloom. The blooming roses were all the potted babies in the greenhouses. I arrived a few weeks too early to see the mother plants' first flush. And there were thousands of roses. It is a small-staffed operation, but their methods for rooting and grafting are well-tuned. And they had thousands of roses in their greenhouses. Multiple greenhouses were basically Austins-only. I do hope you get a response soon and some confirmation that you will receive what you wish.

• EnglishRoseBud
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA is it growing well in the us — if so then your safe in the uk it looked like a twig — this is the sad state of it currently in two I acquired via alternate means — mine died this winter and it literally looked horrid after i cut it back cause it was full of blackspot — dead one that was grafted I will be acquiring at least 6 to ve safe now

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    12 days ago

It’s three weeks today since I first emailed K and M. I still have received no response, so I sent them another email this morning. I always cringe inside when I hound someone like that… goes against my grain, somehow. It feels like I’m nagging them. But calling them by phone makes me cringe far worse, so I sent another email.

• Elestrial 7a
    12 days ago

Judi, have you tried calling them?

• ocbrian1
    12 days ago

Hi Judi, you and I emailed them on the same day I believe and I just heard back from them yesterday. They said they were going to ship out my roses by the end of the day when they go to the post office and she would then call me for payment. I still haven’t heard back for payment yet, so we’ll see if the roses got shipped out or not before payment…

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    12 days ago

Thanks, ocbrian1. That gives me hope that I might be next on the list. Yes, Elestrial, I called them three times. I have gotten nowhere.

• stillanntn6b
    11 days ago

My husband plans to drive there next week to pick up about thirty old Austins to replace the damage done by RRD and voles and moles.

I've called and left a message and no response.

IF ANYONE TALKS TO THEM, would you ask if they plan to be closed any days next week and if drive in buyers are still welcome? Thank you so much.

• Sunny Mississippi 8a
    Original Author
    10 days ago

@stillanntn6b I'm not sure which number you called, but I have had the most luck calling Mr. James's cell phone number first thing in the morning. The number is listed on their website if you go to the About tab, scroll down to Contact, then scroll down on that page and you will see an office number and a James Mills number. I don't know if they will be open or not, but they are pretty consistently open even on holidays when I have visited such as President's Day and Columbus Day. I wish you luck and hope you are able to grab all that is on your wishlist. Please share pics with us!

• stillanntn6b
    8 days ago

The main phone doesn't seem to be working, the other allowed me to leave a message. I worry that my husband will drive all that way and be turned away at the gate. Suggestions?

• strawchicago z5
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

stillanntn6b Perhaps customers who post comments in K and M nursery Facebook page can answer your question about their hours. Tagging people's names (including the owners of K and M) in Facebook page of K and M nursery will prompt them to answer your question about the hours.

• Sunny Mississippi 8a
    Original Author
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

Hey @stillanntn6b I just called Mr. Mills's number from the website (1:20pm). He didn't pick up, then called me back almost immediately. He said they will not be there today or tomorrow, but should be there Wednesday-Friday of this week. He said to be sure and call before you come just to confirm. Make sure to call his number directly. I hope this helps!

• rosecanadian
    8 days ago

Ann - can you weigh in on whether this is RRD? Artist is really struggling to identify whether or not her roses have RRD. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6440795/here-we-go-again-is-this-rrd#n=27

• stillanntn6b
    8 days ago

Thanks, Sunny, that helps immensely.

Rosecanadian, I hadn't seen that thread, so I answered some of her questions. Let me know if there are more.

Ann

• rosecanadian
    8 days ago

Thanks, Ann. :)

• stillanntn6b
    7 days ago

Contact was made and my husband will go pick out roses. Now this is going to be interesting. He will not (cannot) equal my buy at a Park Seed summer day of 110 bareroot roses. (a dollar a plant). But we have spaces for thirty or forty. He really wants to reestablish the hedge of Graham Stewart Thomases that we had (and that were the flowers carried at one niece's wedding by eight brides maids). He says he's even willing to spray them. And so many others that we have loved. Tamora Again! Belle Story didn't make it through winter. We miss her. James Galway is the perfect rose for one spot, but I lost it to RRD. I may, make that will, grow it there again and surround it with compositae flowers and the beneficials that like them. Heck, maybe we expand my three plants of Tess of the durberville to a hedle because they are so magnificent in fall backlit by sunlight. So he'll be getting a list from me and we'll see how many he decides we need to fill in.

Now to order replacements for the irrigation system.

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    7 days ago

Well, this has been an interesting ordeal for me for sure, this ordering with K and M Roses… so I tried on Friday to call Megan, who handles the orders, and wasn’t able to reach her. Tried again on Monday. Ditto. I thought, ok, I’m just about done trying. An hour later, Megan calls me back. I’ll spare you the details, but I’ll say this, in the end, she has bent over backward to help me. I can tell she felt bad for all the difficulty I’ve had trying to order with them. Pretty Jessica was my biggest reason for ordering from them and I really needed two. She could only find one, but she was determined and eventually found a very small second one that she is going to pamper and baby for me a few weeks before she sends them along with my Prospero and Tamora. Obviously, I don’t have my plants yet, so I can’t give a review on them, but I do feel very happy so far, even though it took three and a half weeks to get here!

• Echo_Texas_zone9a
    6 days ago

Yay Judi!! cant wait for you to get them!!

• Sunny Mississippi 8a
    Original Author
    6 days ago

@stillanntn6b im so happy you made contact! I hope he is able to find everything on your wishlist and more! I would suggest taking a pair of short rainboots and some gardening gloves. The rows in the greenhouses can get muddy. And the gloves with help protect his hands from any chemicals if he is sorting through hundreds of treated potted roses. Both of those tips helped me zipthrough my last visit. And if you have any unicorn roses that are not listed on the K&M page, add them tothe list anyway. There are so many surprises to be found in their rows of roses. Please keep us posted!

@judijunebugarizonazn8 Im so happy you were able to get in touch! And yay for her spotting another Pretty Jessica! Please keep us posted when you receive your babies.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!